Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Crunch time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My main hope for tonight is that we don't see any repeat of the Albion-on-Albion scrapping that was evident in the North on saturday. Atmosphere was really toxic. Fair enough, emotions were running high, but your fellow Albion fan is not your enemy.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
My main hope for tonight is that we don't see any repeat of the Albion-on-Albion scrapping that was evident in the North on saturday. Atmosphere was really toxic. Fair enough, emotions were running high, but your fellow Albion fan is not your enemy.

Spot on.
& neither are the team...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Really? People were hitting each other? Or was it pushing, squaring up and heated words? Two very different things if so.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
After last night's result there is currently a 17 point gap between Man U in 6th and Leicester in 7th place, with Man U having a game in hand. Quite frankly it's getting ridiculous. However, I still want to stay up.

It really is time to tell the big six (otherwise known as’clubs mostly supported by glory hunters’) to fxxk off and play in a European League. The domestic game will get stronger because of it.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I hope and believe we will win tonight,and CH will retain his job.However if the unthinkable happens and we are relegated then CH will be gone and rightly so.

I really don't agree that he will be gone if we're relegated. Who would we bring in instead to get us promoted back again next year? TB will look at Burnley, who stuck with Dyche when they were relegated, and (rightly) stick with Hughton. But I don't think we're going down this season anyway.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I hope and believe we will win tonight,and CH will retain his job.However if the unthinkable happens and we are relegated then CH will be gone and rightly so.

Why rightly so? How do you know who is culpable behind the scenes? Who is calling the shots on transfers etc? Should Burnley have sacked Dyche after they were relegated?

It's not often you get a manager that just fits with your club. Burnley have it with Dyche, we have it with Chris. Unless he resigns, regardless of the outcome, Hughton has earned loyalty from the club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Premier League however is the only place to play, we have to strive to stay there, and us fans have to enjoy it for as long as these good times last.

It isn't. It really isn't. Thats just the Sky Sports-driven media hype machine talking.

Obviously I don't want us to be relegated, but this notion that the Premier League is the be-all and end-all, and the only place to be, is for the birds. If we go down, I'll be back in my seat come August. Anyone who isn't, due to the fact we're no longer in the Premier League, is not a real fan of the club.

There most certainly IS life outside the glitz and glamour of the self-proclaimed "Best League in the World". And it not half bad.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Ghastly fickledom of modern football? It's almost like the era of Mike Bailey - binned off because fans didn't like his brand of football despite leading us to our best ever finish - never existed.

Agreed. Many things have changed about football over the years, not all for the better, (and boards and owners have definitely got more trigger-happy) but the fickleness of fans is the one constant.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i remember watching at the Goldstone in 82 83 84 ......charlton , preston , burnley , spurs , arse , liverpool , utd , city , norwich ......always a cracking atmosphere with a bit of an edge to it ........the Amex by comparison is a dentists waiting room , it's not the game it used to be , sterilised by ohs and security issues but it still is the beating heart of British popular culture .......come on Brighton ....you ****ing *****......lets ****ing do this...do it for the fans that freeze their butts off for 5 months of the year ......COME ON.....!!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Baileys football was crap to watch but it was winning crap and we were winning away at places like Spurs, Liverpool and top 2 Southampton , could you ever see us doing that under Hughton's crap football ???

we beat Spurs a few times . . . . Hughton must have been playing . . .

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think lots of fans voicing their discontent, are just expressing fairly well-worn criticisms of Hughton at this level. Not necessarily desire for him to fail. But questioning whether he's reached his ceiling. He has often given teams too much respect and is often too rigid to plan A and as a result sets up not to lose, rather than win. The big question for me is can he find a system that is both moderately successful and entertaining to some degree. Last year we often got a bit of both. I'd suggest this year much less so. I'd be really happy to see BHA kick on further under CH, but I don't think it's going to happen.

And why shouldn't fans expect more from a squad that isn't cheaply assembled, has many underperforming players right now coupled with questionable tactics/positioning? Harking back to Goldstone era simply isn't relevant in this context and I don't think it's got anything to do with greed. I think many fans simply expect to see more fight to win games.

10 shots on target in last 5 league games is symptom of the problem.
Let's get behind the team again tonight, but come season end, I think it's right the club assess what their ambitions are, and how we think it's best to achieve that.

Couldn't agree more. Well said :thumbsup:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
One of the positives of championship football is that I can take my kids and we can all sit together

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It isn't. It really isn't. Thats just the Sky Sports-driven media hype machine talking.

Obviously I don't want us to be relegated, but this notion that the Premier League is the be-all and end-all, and the only place to be, is for the birds. If we go down, I'll be back in my seat come August. Anyone who isn't, due to the fact we're no longer in the Premier League, is not a real fan of the club.

There most certainly IS life outside the glitz and glamour of the self-proclaimed "Best League in the World". And it not half bad.

Spot on. Typed so I don't have to.

Has the Premier League been as much fun as I had imagined it would be for all the previous years. No.

Do I give a s**t what division we are playing in. No.

Will I be there anyway. Yes - I'm a Brighton fan.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It was toxic enough for the steward snatch squads to come running in on more than one occasion :shrug:

That’s bad enough but not heard or seen people punching. Wouldn’t surprise me though. Lots happened at Wembley apparently. Depressing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on. Typed so I don't have to.

Has the Premier League been as much fun as I had imagined it would be for all the previous years. No.

Do I give a s**t what division we are playing in. No.

Will I be there anyway. Yes - I'm a Brighton fan.

Quite honestly, one of the best things I've found about being in the Premier League is the fact that I get to see pretty much every away game either on the box or on a moody stream (although given our performances on the road, thats not always such a good thing). I also like seeing us each week on MOTD, even if we're in the usual graveyard slot. Yes, I'd definitely miss that.

But would I be DEVASTATED to be back in the Championship ? Nope, not really. I'd prefer to stay up of course, but there are still plenty of pluses if we went down. I'd be down in the dumps for a while in the aftermath of relegation, but just like every other time I've experienced it, come the warm summer afternoons of August, I'll be GAGGING to get back to it.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
But would I be DEVASTATED to be back in the Championship ? Nope, not really. I'd prefer to stay up of course, but there are still plenty of pluses if we went down. I'd be down in the dumps for a while in the aftermath of relegation, but just like every other time I've experienced it, come the warm summer afternoons of August, I'll be GAGGING to get back to it.

There is genuinely something quite exciting about a summer of Championship transfer nonsense followed by a season where we could finish top by ten points or be relegated. A proper football season.

Still wanna stay up mind. The only thing this season has given us is bragging rights over Palace. That disappears if we go down... and we will NEVER hear the end of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here