Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What would relegation mean for Tony Bloom?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It astounds me how many people say things like "the Championship is more fun" "more games for my season ticket" "we won't attract many bids for players so will keep the squad together"

Surely relegation is a disaster for Bloom? He's devoted a fortune into a Premier league gamble, spent about £140m on transfer fees, and for what, a 20 million quid profit over a couple of seasons having covered £30m losses to get there,?

I'm not sure what the parachutes are but surely we'll have to sell as many players as possible and to get others off the wage bill?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd rather not know, or find out.

I have a shitmseat BUT a ticket, and will be screaming for 3 points tomorrow night. That's all that matters now.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm not sure it was ever his plan for high profitability.

He is a fan who has many other revenue streams.

I don't think we'd need to sell anybody financially, the wage budget is well within 1st season parachutes. We would have to sell based on player ambition though (not much of that on display Saturday mind).

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TB would know that there was always a good possibility we’d drop at some stage, especially with a bottom three players budget (according to JC on Saturday). As much as it hurt him financially and emotionally, he would also budget for Championship football.

Has our PL spending in fees been £115m?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It would require a huge financial restructuring, which would be very disruptive to the playing and business sides of the club. Let's just @ucking win tomorrow however ugly it may be. Those that complain about not being entertained are missing the point for the rest of the season. Everyone get behind the manager and the team.
Stay up and a proper end of season review can be done, and a plan initiated for our third season in the PL.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
Apr 5, 2014
It would require a huge financial restructuring, which would be very disruptive to the playing and business sides of the club. Let's just @ucking win tomorrow however ugly it may be. Those that complain about not being entertained are missing the point for the rest of the season. Everyone get behind the manager and the team.
Stay up and a proper end of season review can be done, and a plan initiated for our third season in the PL.

Yes and no. The club, as we know them, will have factored all this in. We won't be doing an Aston Villa.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’d be hugely unwelcome but TB would take it in his stride and focus on what needed to be done to get back up (always remember the pic of the management team the day after the SF loss to Massive). I don’t think his future backing for the club is in question and if he needed to inject more money I’m sure he would (and importantly, can). Suspect there is a contingency plan that covers exactly this in place already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The sheer level of complacency here astounds me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Absolutely nothing we can do about apart from make some noise tonight and hope the team have some resilience. It becomes TB’s problem if we get relegated :shrug:

There will be a plan in place I’m sure and we’ll all get over it by next season’s kick off regardless of which division we are in.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He should have thought about that before deciding to spunk millions on the likes of Locadia and Jahanbaksh instead of tried and tested PL players

You can buy tried and tested premier league players for £15m? Thought it bought you half a Chelsea reserve

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
According to the BBC tomorrow is a £90m game (I think it's PL revenue minus parachute payments)

Income in 16/17 was 30m; income last year was £140m. That’s £110m, but add in the first seasons parachute payments of approx. £55m (based 55% of guaranteed TV income) and the drop will be £55m.

We made a profit last year of 13m, but much of that would be wiped out this year by increased amortisation from this season’s signings. Our PL wages increased to £76m from £30m in the Champ, so savings to be made there from relegation clauses (I assume we’re sensible enough to have them), but we’d probably need to sell Dunk for 25m and possibly one other to break even in our first Championship season.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We were amongst the strong favourites to go down at the start of the season and far shorter odds than the 10 to 1 or so that we are now. We have not been in the bottom three all season.. We may still go down but that is the way of football. He knows the risks and that relegation is a virtual certainty at some point in the next few seasons. If he wants more security in the Premier League he will need to significantly increase the wage bill and get in some real talent rather than hopefuls and he has not been prepared to do this.

Going down will not be a disaster and more the issue will be what we do when we get down there. Our Cup run suggests that we should do ok. Let's hope so.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I think the club were a little complacent in January as we'd performed above expectations in the first half of the season but injuries to Gross, combined with loss of form of Murray and others have led to roughly 8 points since halfway.

As others have said, all we can do now is stick together right to the end and keep supporting however difficult it becomes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the club were a little complacent in January as we'd performed above expectations in the first half of the season but injuries to Gross, combined with loss of form of Murray and others have led to roughly 8 points since halfway.

As others have said, all we can do now is stick together right to the end and keep supporting however difficult it becomes.

Can’t promise I’ll stay to the end if we went 0-3 down :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here