Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Notre Dame On Fire

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I've been reading comments and been sickened by keyboard firefighters on many of the newspaper websites. As a retired firefighter myself, my impression from seeing videos of the blaze is that in the circumstances of the construction, the internal and external access I consider the Sapper Pompiers did a magnificent job.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've been reading comments and been sickened by keyboard firefighters on many of the newspaper websites. As a retired firefighter myself, my impression from seeing videos of the blaze is that in the circumstances of the construction, the internal and external access I consider the Sapper Pompiers did a magnificent job.

What did you think of Trump's suggestion ? :ffsparr:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The bell towers were in danger from the heat as much as anything, as the wood holding the bells was in danger of catching alight. The firefighters concentrated water on them to cool them and stop them combusting as the weight of the bells crashing would have caused untold damage.
I hope the injured firefighter makes a full recovery.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

To be fair, they've only been preparing for a moment like this for the last century and a half...

[TWEET]1117895531563372544[/TWEET]
[TWEET]1117895534688083970[/TWEET]
[TWEET]1117897349932769282[/TWEET]
[TWEET]1117925160655425536[/TWEET]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Police are interviewing the contractors- my first question would be - 'Right lads- who smokes?' Any answers of 'Moi' / 'Oui' and you've got your list of prime suspects!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Police are interviewing the contractors- my first question would be - 'Right lads- who smokes?' Any answers of 'Moi' / 'Oui' and you've got your list of prime suspects!

One would imagine the site safety rules precluded smoking on site,but it would be easier to find somebody who didn't smoke.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
They will have been smoking though won't they- I mean if they're up on the roof they're not going to go all the way down and away from the building to have a smoke and then come all the way back up are they? They'll have been up there with their packed lunch of jambon berre and a glass of vin rouge - and there's no way they would go without a post-meal smoke.

I'm not statistician but I reckon the chances of this being started by a contractor's Gitane is around 99%.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
The church are very wealthy and I’m sure can afford to rebuild it themselves, think how much money has be donated in that building in the 800 years it has been up

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
What did you think of Trump's suggestion ? :ffsparr:

a) Having watched the "water bombers" in action in southern France in Forest Fire situations, I believe it would have been difficult to pinpoint the exact spot to release the water over the cathedral.
b). I share the fear that it would create damage to the structure.
c) The water could only effect the area where the roof had failed which means the personel salvaging below might be affected by the torrent and any dislodged debris.
d) The fire was probably burning in the "attic' under the parts of the roof which was still intact which of course would act like a roof in the rain.
e) The planes are based at airfields on the Mediterranean coast (probably Marseille) and the pilots may not be on stand by this time of the year.
F) Even if available they would have to collect water from the sea before flying to Paris as I don't think there are any lakes en route which may be suitable.

For those reasons a non-runner.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They will have been smoking though won't they- I mean if they're up on the roof they're not going to go all the way down and away from the building to have a smoke and then come all the way back up are they? They'll have been up there with their packed lunch of jambon berre and a glass of vin rouge - and there's no way they would go without a post-meal smoke.

I'm not statistician but I reckon the chances of this being started by a contractor's Gitane is around 99%.

The Cardinal rule of working on an RC cathedral is not to smoke.

If you’re correct about that, that’s inseine.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jeez, it is a building, not a child FFS. No sensible person wants to see a stunning building like this destroyed, but getting upset because someone cracks a one liner, really?

Jesus wept. Who said I was upset?

I said it was an immature comment. Which it was. It was hardly some side splitting one liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I feel awful for her Mike, just awful. I hope she'll be okay. Maybe Macron could offer her a personal tour of the Palace of Versailles to compensate.

Maybe if I asked him nicely.
It is along way from here to there and what with the yellow shirt protest and this her 21st could be spoilt, let's just hope her next 21st will be ok shall we.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's ****ing disgusting how over night millions of pounds have been donated for a poxy building that humans built which humans can 're build. If only the same could be done on saving the planet, you know, that thing we all live on.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
PSG getting another thumping tonight after their 5-1 loss at Lille on Sunday night. This time 3-1 down at the mighty Nantes.

"Your defence is terrified..........oh" :down: Eight goals in two games conceded. That's disgraceful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here