Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Bournemouth example of succeeding?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am willing to lay money that they were all fare more entertaining games than our 17 defeats and isn’t entertainment most fans want. Nobody expects us to do better than we have done but we have seen some really turgid tactics and football apart from an enjoyable spell mid season when we lost with style.

What ? Their 17 defeats were better than our 17 defeats ? If you say so Icy !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What ? Their 17 defeats were better than our 17 defeats ? If you say so Icy !

As an example Saturday... a 5-4 defeat would have been more entertaining than 0-5 to me :shrug:

At least with Bournemouth they go into games even against the top six looking to win rather than not lose. If you wouldn’t find that more entertaining than losing without a shot that’s up to you :smile:

It would explain why you are so willing to accept and defend to the hilt some of the dross served up

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
One other thing that is apparent about Bournemouth is that they have the odd exceptional performance and result. They have beaten Chelsea and Watford (away) 4-0 this season. Last Saturday it was us. In amongst these amazing results there is also a fair bit of dross, they lost 4-0 to Burnley, 2-0 to Cardiff etc. What it says to me is that they have a manager who has conditioned his players to be prepared to gamble for success without fear of blame for failure. He has been prepared to play two strikers away from home knowing it will mean the odd tonking and throw caution to the wind when chasing a game.

Admirable.

They are occasionally excellent, they have been since going up. Maybe we shouldn't be beating ourselves up too much about Saturdays result.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As an example Saturday... a 5-4 defeat would have been more entertaining than 0-5 to me :shrug:

At least with Bournemouth they go into games even against the top six looking to win rather than not lose. If you wouldn’t find that more entertaining than losing without a shot that’s up to you :smile:

I must have seen them about twice this season (apart from our games) so i've no idea. But you've clearly watched them A LOT Icy. So fair enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must have seen them about twice this season (apart from our games) so i've no idea. But you've clearly watched them A LOT Icy. So fair enough.

I’ve seen most of the teams on tv in the Premier League this season even when Brighton weren’t playing in the game.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
they've lost 17 times this season. So have the Albion.

They’ve also won 12 to our 9 and got 41 points , sorry but I’d sooner be in there position and just except they are doing it better than us at the moment. No problems with admitting that . Bigger problems in not admitting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Solanke @ £19m 8 appearances, 2 starts, no goals, couldn't even score against us.

Solanke is another that fits the Eddie Howe mould... Young, British, and bursting with potential... He just needs a chance with us, something that up until now he's not been able to get... He's set up a couple of goals in his cameos and always looks lively... Trouble is when you've Wilson and King ahead of you, you're going to have to work damned hard to get ahead of them in the XI... He'll definalty come good next season adn I reckon he'll push hard for a starting spot...

Stats can very often be misleading...

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Not even close tbf......don't think a single Brighton player would make the Bournemouth first 11.

To be fair I thought Bissouma looked decent and caused us a lot of trouble it the first half... Drifted as the game went on and his attempt to get back to defend Wilson's eventual goal was laughable... he may as well just stood and watched...

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I've seen a lot about how well Bournemouth have done in the Premier League

BUT have they really?

2015/16 Position 16th Points 42
2016/17 Position 9th Points 46
2017/18 Position 12th Points 44
2018/19 Position 12th Points 41 (4 games to go), maybe 46

Their record is good up to a point, but successful? It's arguable. Reportedly they have spent more money than a fair few clubs and in four seasons their highest number of points is 46. Not much sign of the progression that people seem to expect from our team and Hughton?

That said, would I rather watch their brand of football to ours even if it got similar results? definitely yes.

And that I think is a key point.

And for a club their size and history (and ours for that matter) that's respectable, and as they've rarely been caught up in relegation battles - impressive.

Lol that would have been a good answer in the 1950s before the advent of modern communications

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I'd happily take their final positions in the league and the type of football they play. With our infrastructure we could build very well on top of that.

To be fair I thought Bissouma looked decent and caused us a lot of trouble it the first half... Drifted as the game went on and his attempt to get back to defend Wilson's eventual goal was laughable... he may as well just stood and watched...

Stephens allowing Wilson three touches close to goal without a tackle was way worse

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing

I like Bissouma (maybe more the potential player than the actual player) - but on reflection he goes missing in second halves quite frequently. In a few games he's dominated midfield for a period and then become quite ineffectual. Don't know if that's fitness, concentration or teams figuring him out.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've seen a lot about how well Bournemouth have done in the Premier League

BUT have they really?

2015/16 Position 16th Points 42
2016/17 Position 9th Points 46
2017/18 Position 12th Points 44
2018/19 Position 12th Points 41 (4 games to go), maybe 46

Their record is good up to a point, but successful? It's arguable. Reportedly they have spent more money than a fair few clubs and in four seasons their highest number of points is 46. Not much sign of the progression that people seem to expect from our team and Hughton?

That said, would I rather watch their brand of football to ours even if it got similar results? definitely yes.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here