Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we lost 2-8 to Bristol Rovers ...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout

Have a read of Bloody Southerners. If things are as fooked as they were back then, then we’re REALLY fooked this time.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Was thinking about the last time I felt so bad about our team and this moment came to mind. Not least because we’d just lost 0-4 at hone in the cup to Walton & Hersham as well. And Brian Clough was our manager.
An awful few days as an Albion fan - hoping tomorrow will bring better things - but not looking forward to it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Smash and Grab ..Bannister and Warboys...great days ...for a Rovers fan!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Smash and Grab ..Bannister and Warboys...great days ...for a Rovers fan!

Smash and grab indeed. I was there, and although we were pressing for an equaliser (or at least to get a goal back) every time in that second half the ball got kicked into our half it went straight to either Warboys or Bannister who just turned and bashed it past Powney!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I seem to recall that Clough praised Norman Gall for his honesty after the game and that just about finished his magnificent career.
I was wondering when we last got tonked like that. I confess that I felt worse after the Bristol match - I hadn’t seen that happening to a team managed under Clough. Perhaps I have become more immune to disappointment over the subsequent years.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

Well you’re a tonic!

I get your point though and there is a lot to learn from history, however distant.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure why Powney was the scapegoat. I wasn't there (I had a Saturday job so I could only go to evening or Sunday games) but I saw it on TV and I don't recall Powney making any howlers: the defence just seemed all over the place.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure why Powney was the scapegoat. I wasn't there (I had a Saturday job so I could only go to evening or Sunday games) but I saw it on TV and I don't recall Powney making any howlers: the defence just seemed all over the place.

He didn't. Although I think his confidence was shattered after about the fifth or sixth goal.

The whole team was scared shitless to even step on the pitch under Clough's disastrous regime. Thank goodness he f***ed off to Leeds, where they sussed him out and dissed him pdq!

el punal

It was a jolly old time back in the early 1970s. We unexpectedly and wonderfully got promotion to Division Two in 1972 under Pat Saward, a year after we bought Bert Murray on funds raised by fans doing a sponsored walk. Onto season 1972/73 in Div. 2 - we were hopeless and lost THIRTEEN games on the trot and got relegated.

Back into Div.3 - Pat Saward gets the sack after three months, Clough comes in (read Bloody Southerners for a marvellous insight into the club goings-on of the time). I woz there for both stuffings by Walton & Hersham 4-0 and Bristol Rovers 8-2! And to think we are losing our shit over the 5-0 defeat by Bournemouth - as we should, by the way.

Clough leaves, Peter Taylor takes over and the template is made for our most successful period in the history of the club, not to be repeated until 40 years later.

We might have lost badly on Saturday boys and girls, but hey, that’s football, enjoy the good times and remember we’re still in the top flight. Bring on Cardiff! :albion2:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No doubt the give it a go experts would have been happy with the 2-8 defeat given the two previous home league games both finished 0-0

Thank goodness he f***ed off to Leeds, where they sussed him out and dissed him pdq!
They got rid of him due to player pressure, caused by misguided loyalty to Revie, whose management style Clough despised. By 'player pressure', I also mean the fact that they underperformed in a big way, much the same as Man United players did under Mourinho. Their loss though, as it was the lowly second division club that reaped the rich rewards that he and Taylor provided.

Last edited:

Recall clough pointing out that not many sides had scored 2 against Rovers:moo:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They got rid of him due to player pressure, caused by misguided loyalty to Revie, whose management style Clough despised. By 'player pressure', I also mean the fact that they underperformed in a big way, much the same as Man United players did under Mourinho.

Yes, all true. But fine by me - comeback for the misery he'd caused down here. As far as we're concerned, one of our worst managers ever. Honestly, if you weren't there (or if you were blinded by his big name/big fame status) he was total shit for us. Hyypia level. Players all too scared to kick the ball. Glad he didn't stay.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No doubt the give it a go experts would have been happy with the 2-8 defeat given the two previous home league games both finished 0-0

Actually quite a lot of doubt.. But hey-ho, if you want to compare then to now (crap manager with an ego bigger than Gus's, as opposed to being in the PL with a real chance (if somewhat nail-biting) of staying up)....okey-doke. Carry on.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I was at the match. Horrible. Compounded on motd by Nigel Clough requesting to see the goals again!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here