Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When we lost 2-8 to Bristol Rovers ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was thinking about the last time I felt so bad about our team and this moment came to mind. Not least because we’d just lost 0-4 at hone in the cup to Walton & Hersham as well. And Brian Clough was our manager.
An awful few days as an Albion fan - hoping tomorrow will bring better things - but not looking forward to it.

Pass me Hendo's Wintergreen. I need to sniff the vapour of inspiration. Nice hair, by the way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They got rid of him due to player pressure, caused by misguided loyalty to Revie, whose management style Clough despised. By 'player pressure', I also mean the fact that they underperformed in a big way, much the same as Man United players did under Mourinho. Their loss though, as it was the lowly second division club that reaped the rich rewards that he and Taylor provided.

Exactly. Clough was the archetype genius thwarted by the stuffed shirts to the detriment of everyone. Englishness in a nutshell.

Clough was the archetype genius thwarted by the stuffed shirts to the detriment of everyone.
Taylor was the genius when it came to player selection, but Clough was the superb man-motivator whose 20-minute one-to-one chats with players instilled extra determination in their game. A devastating combination which those stuffed shirts at the FA ignored, therefore costing us the 1990 World Cup (at least) following Ramsay's sacking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Taylor was the genius when it came to player selection, but Clough was the superb man-motivator whose 20-minute one-to-one chats with players instilled extra determination in their game. A devastating combination which those stuffed shirts at the FA ignored, therefore costing us the 1990 World Cup (at least) following Ramsay's sacking.

No way would Clough have lasted till 1990 as England manager !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why? He was only 55 and got Forest to the FA Cup final the following year. He could have even had Taylor still by his side, because his sudden death wasn't until the autumn of 1990.

Greenwood got the job instead of Clough in 1977. There is NO WAY Clough would have lasted from then till 1990. He'd have been sacked for calling a blazer a knobjocky, or insulting the manager of Lithuania. Which is why he never got the job in the first place. He was always far too volatile a character for the stuffed shirts at the FA to handle.

Greenwood got the job instead of Clough in 1977. There is NO WAY Clough would have lasted from then till 1990. He'd have been sacked for calling a blazer a knobjocky, or insulting the manager of Lithuania. Which is why he never got the job in the first place. He was always far too volatile a character for the stuffed shirts at the FA to handle.
Oh, I see! But maybe an early success, possibly in the Euros, might have made them more tolerant? We definitely wouldn't have beaten Lithuania though, they were part of the USSR at that time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Clough was generally decent to other managers (apart from Revie, he loathed him) so I couldn't see him insulting countries' staff. FA bigwigs and bureaucrats are another matter.

But you're right, he wouldn't have lasted 13 months, let alone 13 years

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What are you moaning about? at least you saw two Brighton goals in that thumping :smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't claim to remember it or anything, but that fourth goal proves otherwise!

Yeah, just watched the goals again, the fourth was a keeper error. But the others weren't, the centre backs were all at sea, yet survived the cull (although Gall went at the end of the season)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I was there for those matches.
Not pretty and Clough just took the piss out of the club.
Couldn't stand the man. Thankfully Taylor felt some loyalty to Bamber and Brighton and started our recovery that led to the 'Glory Days' under Mullers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here