Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Members
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Uffern
    Posts
    24,788

    When we lost 2-8 to Bristol Rovers ...


    2 Not allowed!
    I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

    Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

    Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

    Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout
    Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Members Barham's tash's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Rayners Lane
      Posts
      2,169


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

      Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

      Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

      Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout
      Have a read of Bloody Southerners. If things are as fooked as they were back then, then we’re REALLY fooked this time.
    • #3
      Members
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Location
      Central Europe
      Posts
      563


      1 Not allowed!
      Was thinking about the last time I felt so bad about our team and this moment came to mind. Not least because we’d just lost 0-4 at hone in the cup to Walton & Hersham as well. And Brian Clough was our manager.
      An awful few days as an Albion fan - hoping tomorrow will bring better things - but not looking forward to it.
      Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, J Napier, Gall, Wilkinson, K Napier, Duffy, Gilliver, O'Sullivan.
    • #4
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      SHOREHAM BY SEA
      Posts
      29,680


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

      Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

      Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

      Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout
      Smash and Grab ..Bannister and Warboys...great days ...for a Rovers fan!
    • #5
      Members GT49er's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Gloucester
      Posts
      25,202


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LamieRobertson View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Smash and Grab ..Bannister and Warboys...great days ...for a Rovers fan!
      Smash and grab indeed. I was there, and although we were pressing for an equaliser (or at least to get a goal back) every time in that second half the ball got kicked into our half it went straight to either Warboys or Bannister who just turned and bashed it past Powney!
    • #6
      Members dejavuatbtn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      3,425


      0 Not allowed!
      I seem to recall that Clough praised Norman Gall for his honesty after the game and that just about finished his magnificent career.
      I was wondering when we last got tonked like that. I confess that I felt worse after the Bristol match - I hadn’t seen that happening to a team managed under Clough. Perhaps I have become more immune to disappointment over the subsequent years.
    • #7
      Members LowKarate's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Overseas
      Posts
      1,879


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I thought I'd have a look at how we reacted the last time we got tonked by five or more goals at home.

      Was there a reaction to the defeat? Er ... no. We lost our next three games (the very next one, 4-1)

      Did we make wholesale changes? Again, it was no. We changed the keeper, signing Grummitt on loan (a smart move that, good keeper) but the rest of them was a bit of tinkering. Steve Piper came back but he only missed a couple of games, he was a regular throughout the season.

      Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself - and at least we won't see Hughton bringing his son to sit next to him in the dugout
      Well you’re a tonic!

      I get your point though and there is a lot to learn from history, however distant.
      Sent from my Omsung A5 Phine.
    • #8
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Kitbag in Dubai
      Posts
      5,676


      5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Was there a reaction to the defeat?
      It was pretty quiet on NSC.
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018
    • #9
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Uffern
      Posts
      24,788


      0 Not allowed!
      I'm not sure why Powney was the scapegoat. I wasn't there (I had a Saturday job so I could only go to evening or Sunday games) but I saw it on TV and I don't recall Powney making any howlers: the defence just seemed all over the place.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
    • #10
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      SHOREHAM BY SEA
      Posts
      29,680


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LowKarate View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well you’re a tonic!

      I get your point though and there is a lot to learn from history, however distant.
      I think you are missing the positive here ..in the next match although losing we did score a goal ..novel

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •