Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Help! Computer problem.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
When I switch on the PC it goes to the usual homescreen giving me the options to log in to the user accounts.
However when I try and log into a user account after I have typed the password and pressed enter it just goes to a blank screen with only the cursor arrow visible.
I've waited a few minutes but it just stays blank. I switched off the computer with the power switch (only option with blank screen) and tried again but with a different user account but same problem occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be and how to fix it.

Failing that can anyone recommend a decent PC repairer in hove/brighton/shoreham area. I used to use Adur computers in shoreham but they've closed down.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
What operating system is it? Get it into safe mode (depends on hardware/os how to do this) and see if it logs on.

Windows 10.
The second user account I tried finally came on. Took ages though. Obviously running really slow. I've just tried to log on to my main user account now. Still waiting.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
If you have an old hard disk running the OS it could be on its way out and causing the PC to run very slowly. Alternatively, your main drive could be almost full and again causing it to slow down.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
What about passing it sideways a few times and then sort-of trying again?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sounds like a problem I had recently.Windows 10 update hadn't worked properly,and system restore from System and Security (Control Panel) was the only thing that worked.Then,that evening,it updated correctly with no further problems.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The other user account finally opened. Have deleted . Just done a disk clean up of temporary internet files and also deleted browsing history and cookies.

Are there any other general maintenance tasks I can do that may help?

Sensible answers only please (I realise that's like a red rag to a bull).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sounds like a problem I had recently.Windows 10 update hadn't worked properly,and system restore from System and Security (Control Panel) was the only thing that worked.Then,that evening,it updated correctly with no further problems.

They have some massive periodic feature updates, Win10 just seems over Engineered for most users. They should sell a stripped down version similar to Win 10 IOT...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When I switch on the PC it goes to the usual homescreen giving me the options to log in to the user accounts.
However when I try and log into a user account after I have typed the password and pressed enter it just goes to a blank screen with only the cursor arrow visible.
I've waited a few minutes but it just stays blank. I switched off the computer with the power switch (only option with blank screen) and tried again but with a different user account but same problem occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be and how to fix it.

Failing that can anyone recommend a decent PC repairer in hove/brighton/shoreham area. I used to use Adur computers in shoreham but they've closed down.

New shop in Shoreham is even better than the old one. I got my new desktop computer made up there.

They can test a hard disc in seconds. Ask for Matt. I suspect a boot disc failure which is a bad news hassle at best and a disaster at worse.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
New shop in Shoreham is even better than the old one. I got my new desktop computer made up there.

They can test a hard disc in seconds. Ask for Matt. I suspect a boot disc failure which is a bad news hassle at best and a disaster at worse.

Where is the new shop in Shoreham?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The other user account finally opened. Have deleted . Just done a disk clean up of temporary internet files and also deleted browsing history and cookies.

Rather than go through all the faff, time and expense of taking it to a shop to check if the hard drive is failing, why not simply check and repair it (if necessary) yourself? It's simple enough - see https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/

Personally, I would hazard a guess that is far more likely to be a one-off slow boot due to background downloading and installing Win Update, than a hard drive failure - but the check above will soon tell you.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
As is well known I have very little PC knowledge but have learnt each day to back up my pc to an external hard drive and if it fails to start properly put it on reset to remove everything and re install windows.

Or just create a restore point every week and go back if there is any problems. Saves the hassle of re installing again.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Could try running anti virus, malwarebytes etc. Windows 10 task manager is good for see which resource is being hammered, as in memory, cpu or disc io, etc see which application is taking up the resources.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here