Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton has to listen to his own players ....the fans ... the critics ....

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Despite watching the best part of 750 live football matches formations and tactics tend to go over my head . However it's clear to me that Hughton needs to listen to his own inner cabinet . Murray and Andone have expressed a desire to play together - one strong , tall, experienced guy and the other a short , fast , aggressive guy . Little and large if you like . The oldest formula in the book . Rather than than running around on their own like lost dogs up front why not give them each someone to play off . It's just obvious is n't it ? When Hughton took Andone off for Murray on Saturday and we were 2-0 down that was the beginning of the end for Hughton I believe

A blind belief in sticking to his formula when all around him disagree . ( remind you of anyone else) Zero goals in 4 games and 6 shots on target . The facts simply do not lie .

Let's have a go at Cardiff from the off - 2 up front - and just show some passion from the off . If we go one ahead we'll win that game.

And, if we are 1 0 down, and you leave, then shame on you and don't bother to come back .

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Have to be 4-4-2 at Home and 4-5-1 Away. We are slow, predictable and no longer reliable at the back. We don't score enough goals as we don't create enough chances. SURELY the coaching staff can understand this. We can't grind out enough 1-0 wins.

Throw flaming spears and daggers, go ahead, but going forward Bmuff are the model we should emulate. Fast, forward minded passing in a team of young athletic mainly British talent. They don't always win BUT they are positive in their intent against all teams in the league. Never see them in the relegation battles year after year.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree Brian Wade. Being able to admit you've been going down the wrong path is a sign of true leadership.

If we go down the same path, Ie one up front, pedestrian, wait for support, type attacking play tomorrow, Chris knows it simply has to work. He is, in effect, gambling his job, the good will of the fans and our premier league status that he's right.

Despite watching the best part of 750 live football matches formations and tactics tend to go over my head . However it's clear to me that Hughton needs to listen to his own inner cabinet . Murray and Andone have expressed a desire to play together - one strong , tall, experienced guy and the other a short , fast , aggressive guy . Little and large if you like . The oldest formula in the book . Rather than than running around on their own like lost dogs up front why not give them each someone to play off . It's just obvious is n't it ? When Hughton took Andone off for Murray on Saturday and we were 2-0 down that was the beginning of the end for Hughton I believe

A blind belief in sticking to his formula when all around him disagree . ( remind you of anyone else) Zero goals in 4 games and 6 shots on target . The facts simply do not lie .

Let's have a go at Cardiff from the off - 2 up front - and just show some passion from the off . If we go one ahead we'll win that game.

And, if we are 1 0 down, and you leave, then shame on you and don't bother to come back .

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Would love to see a Hail Mary style two up front and "let's go for it with nothing to lose" attitude. Absolutely not going to happen though.

I would love for us to come racing out of the blocks and overwhelm Cardiff but we all know it's never been CH style, he doesn't trust that method and there's too much at stake for him. He clearly really believes in his new formation and it'll be a miracle if anything changes there. Tomorrow's game is probably the biggest of the Hughton era as if we lose to Cardiff we will need them to lose the rest of their games to give us a chance.

While we are on a dire run recently we have the quality to stay up. I just hope the rumours of a lost dressing room aren't true and the players will fight to stay in the league.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Those 2 up front together could make all the difference

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Have to be 4-4-2 at Home and 4-5-1 Away. We are slow, predictable and no longer reliable at the back. We don't score enough goals as we don't create enough chances. SURELY the coaching staff can understand this. We can't grind out enough 1-0 wins.

Throw flaming spears and daggers, go ahead, but going forward Bmuff are the model we should emulate. Fast, forward minded passing in a team of young athletic mainly British talent. They don't always win BUT they are positive in their intent against all teams in the league. Never see them in the relegation battles year after year.

We do not play to the new PL blueprint. Quick, accurate, simple football with no frills.
It is all about playing this style and continuing to improve. It is about having pace in key areas. The ability to move the ball quickly downfield, with good running off the ball. Bournemouth haven't got the players to play at the level of the best ( City and Liverpool ) but what they do, they do well. Howe knows they are not the best defensively. That doesn't worry him. He expects some heavy defeats but sets his team up to take advantage of any opposition that have a slightly off day. Earlier in the season they won 4-0 at Watford, catching the home side off guard early and ramming home the advantage, something we could never do.
We have been too defensive minded for too long and now we have been found out. The Amex is no longer a fortress guarding against lower half PL teams. If you are going to sit back and invite pressure, you have to be as tight as a drum. Unfortunately, we have been as leaky as an old sieve. We are caught between two styles and getting neither right.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Would love to see a Hail Mary style two up front and "let's go for it with nothing to lose" attitude. Absolutely not going to happen though.

I would love for us to come racing out of the blocks and overwhelm Cardiff but we all know it's never been CH style, he doesn't trust that method and there's too much at stake for him. He clearly really believes in his new formation and it'll be a miracle if anything changes there. Tomorrow's game is probably the biggest of the Hughton era as if we lose to Cardiff we will need them to lose the rest of their games to give us a chance.

While we are on a dire run recently we have the quality to stay up. I just hope the rumours of a lost dressing room aren't true and the players will fight to stay in the league.

Preparing myself for an ugly 0-0. Hope to be proved wrong ( in the right way! )

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I would love for us to come racing out of the blocks and overwhelm Cardiff but we all know it's never been CH style, he doesn't trust that method and there's too much at stake for him.

The odd thing is, I'm sure that's exactly what we've done at the Amex against both Arsenal and Manchester United in these two seasons in the Premier League and we've beaten both.

I've no idea why Chris doesn't think we can do it more often. :shrug:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We do not play to the new PL blueprint. Quick, accurate, simple football with no frills.
It is all about playing this style and continuing to improve. It is about having pace in key areas. The ability to move the ball quickly downfield, with good running off the ball

Can you add 'passing the ball to one of our own players rather than passing to one of them'?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thought it looked at one point Saturday like Hughton had a real go at Dunk when he made a forward run on Saturday (we were 3-0 down I think), gesturing at him to 'get back' as far as I could see.................

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
We had exactly the same issue in the Championship when we were struggling, there were cries for 442 and play 2 up front, he finally did and the rest is history. It seems so blindly obvious to me that if you cannot score and you only have one up front then you add another striker. I realise it is not that fashionable in the modern game but **** that, we need to score goals to keep us up. Play 442 in the home games and more defensive away if needed but FFS taking off a striker when 0-2 down on Saturday to put on another striker was insanity in my book.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't see it happening either, but I would love to see it.

The lone striker formation does not work when that striker is isolated.
We have been proving this for months and months, regardless of who starts.
Regardless of who we are playing. (Palace excepted)

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
The problem with this game is that it probably should be treated with the usual Hughton caution of keeping solid defensively, hard to break down and then nick a goal. After the s***tshow on saturday though, anything less than all out attack is going to have the crowd on his back

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Most of you know I coach cricket to county age group standard.
We encourage our squads to explore tactical alternatives supported by the two givens:

"If you always do what you always did, your'll always get what you always got"
and
"If you don't change anything, don't expect anything to change"

I can't imagine for a moment that CH doesn't already have this in his philosophy somewhere - he had a method that worked [to a degree] but now he's been sussed out, he needs to come up with something different.

He's become what I believe is known as "a one-trick pony" ....

Nice fella, but has he hit his ceiling?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No manager in the league would be prepared for us playing 4-4-2.

Absolutely this. We’ve done the same thing, badly, since December. Do something different, even it’s a return to the 4-4-1-1. Warnock won’t be expecting it, their players will not have prepared for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here