Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was the cup run too much of a distraction?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd find it easier to agree if we weren't also pretty terrible in the cup games too.

Frankly, we've only put in one decent performance since we beat Palace at the Amex, and that was at Selhurst. Every other game we've been garbage and got away with it at times.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The cup runs showed how poor some of our fringe players were. The WBA first match was painful watching against a much changed team. Millwall game was similarly bad but with our 1st team playing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think it was to do with the cup run. I think it actually helped by giving us a chance to get players into the form and into the team for the league, eg Bernardo, Bissouma, Locadia, Knocky etc.

I think the problems stem from the change of formation, which stemmed from Gross's injury and our failure to recruit from a position of strength in January

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think the financial rewards as we progressed changed CH views and had he stuck with his original choice of team for the cup we may not be in the position we are now. So the answer has to be Yes to a degree.

The financial rewards for an FA Cup run are minimal compared to the Premier League money. Our cup run is likely worth around £4 million in prize money and gate receipts. That is the same as the prize money difference from finishing 2 places higher in the league. I don't think it was the financial rewards that pushed Hughton to change the team, he changed the FA cup team massively for last seasons QF against Utd, but more that the further we got in the cup the higher chance we had of actually winning it.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Too much attention on the periphery, our form was dipping at the start of the 3rd round but the team who played 3rd and 4th weren't our first team. So, to conclude; the cup run wasn't a major distraction and disguises the main problem. Formation, formation and formation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, but I think it papered over the cracks/hid the fact that we haven't really put in a decent 90 minute performance since 1-0 vs Everton.

That was in 2018.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here