Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and their self-importance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Every club does have its story, I agree, so Liverpool with their "it means more" slogan just shows how they think football revolves around them

It's funny really. I like how "It means more" is associated to the passion and divine spiritual power Liverpool FC is blessed with on that video, when actually the real reason it'll mean more is because they've not won a league title for nearly 30 years and it looks like they won't be winning it this year either..

That’s a very interesting angle, one I’m sure a good portion of their fans will see the irony in.

The pi$$ taking will be most effective after the event. If they mess it up you can guarantee that video will be rammed down their throats by anyone remotely interested.

But...

This is their year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Liverpool are an odd one. I certainly know several proper Liverpool fans. I can think of two in particular who live near me, play football with me, are knowledgeable about the game down the leagues as much as many Albion fans and speak with a mild scouse accent after years of living away. Proper supporters who take nothing for granted and happen to support one of their local clubs.

The problem I have is that these people are these people are vastly outnumbered by insufferable arm-chair cocks from Buckinghamshire, Cheshire and Surrey who haven't been to Anfield any more often than me (twice).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
My favourite Liverpool meme. :lolol:

klopp.jpg

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The problem I have is that these people are these people are vastly outnumbered by insufferable arm-chair cocks from Buckinghamshire, Cheshire and Surrey who haven't been to Anfield any more often than me (twice).

I think this is the same for all the 'bigger' clubs.... 'x' times the number of arm-chair 'supporters' versus the number that actually pay to go and see their team play week in week out.

But then these people's opinions are not worth getting worked up about... or at least that's how I react (or rather I don't react).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its the worst possible mixture of arrogance and self-entitlement. The sort of attitude that led thousands of their fans at big games over the years to believe that it was their right to get into games without paying. The sort of attitude that led to their fans lining the streets leading to Anfield and raining more than a thousand bottles and assorted missiles on an opposition coach and know, because of the sensitive and protective arm that has been thrown around them, that little or no action would be taken.

Harsh, but some truth in this.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Its the worst possible mixture of arrogance and self-entitlement. The sort of attitude that led thousands of their fans at big games over the years to believe that it was their right to get into games without paying. The sort of attitude that led to their fans lining the streets leading to Anfield and raining more than a thousand bottles and assorted missiles on an opposition coach and know, because of the sensitive and protective arm that has been thrown around them, that little or no action would be taken.

Not excusing those throwing missiles at coaches - although I believe a lot of those responsible were local scallies not even going to the games.

BUT... can we all please remember that today is the 30th anniversary of the 96 who lost their lives at Hillsborough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Pretty sad thread on the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-47912890

Tributes are being displayed in Liverpool to mark the 30th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Banners with images of the 96 fans killed by the crush at an FA Cup game between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest have been hung at St George's Hall.

A minute's silence will be held on Monday in Liverpool at 15:06 BST - when the match was halted on 15 April 1989 at Sheffield's Hillsborough ground.

Liverpool's mayor said the city would "stand together in solidarity".

Joe Anderson added: "The 96 have never been forgotten and even though this city is divided by our footballing allegiances, we have been united in supporting the families and Hillsborough survivors for the past 30 years, and will continue to do so."

Closed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION], who was unaware of today's significance when starting the thread yesterday:

I wrote this yesterday, before I realised it was the anniversary of Hillsborough. It's the one day when Liverpool - the club, the fans, the city - deserve the love and respect of all other football fans.

Have asked mods to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here