Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Wingers

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Fair enough. But I'm assuming you were saying the same thing on Saturday about Bournemouth as they ripped us apart with their own two inverted wingers in Brooks and Fraser?
Good point but I’m not talking about Bournemouth
With only two defenders in front of a winger then most will turn the defender
inside out Brooke’s and Fraser are both quality and better than any we have so
I get your point
Mine is that playing the wingers the way CH does,call it what you want
doesn’t work for us
A in swinging cross into a penalty area that has 5 players
defending doesn’t seem to do us much good from what I’m watching
All I’m saying is try it the other way round
Here’s one reason why we should
AK on Saturday attacking the south goal gets to the by line
in the south west corner it’s on his right foot he attempts
a cross which rolls along the deck to the first defender who controls it
and clears the ball comfortably
If he was on the other side of the pitch and on his left foot
maybe just maybe his cross could have been more dangerous
That’s the point I’m trying to make

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Good point but I’m not talking about Bournemouth
With only two defenders in front of a winger then most will turn the defender
inside out Brooke’s and Fraser are both quality and better than any we have so
I get your point
Mine is that playing the wingers the way CH does,call it what you want
doesn’t work for us
A in swinging cross into a penalty area that has 5 players
defending doesn’t seem to do us much good from what I’m watching
All I’m saying is try it the other way round
Here’s one reason why we should
AK on Saturday attacking the south goal gets to the by line
in the south west corner it’s on his right foot he attempts
a cross which rolls along the deck to the first defender who controls it
and clears the ball comfortably
If he was on the other side of the pitch and on his left foot
maybe just maybe his cross could have been more dangerous
That’s the point I’m trying to make

And the counter arguments are watching March play on the left which almost never works, plus the AK goal against Palace. That goal doesn’t happen if he’s on the left side.

And whilst I appreciate your argument, it doesn’t matter what way a cross swings in if there’s no one there to get on the end of it, as there routinely isn’t for us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Only 16% of PL goals are scored by a header, and that includes from set pieces. The days of wingers whipping the ball back from open play for a CF to head in are getting rarer each season.

Even Burnley, Stains and Bmuff pass the ball into our net, after passing moves.

It’s the way forward.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Only 16% of PL goals are scored by a header, and that includes from set pieces. The days of wingers whipping the ball back from open play for a CF to head in are getting rarer each season.

Even Burnley, Stains and Bmuff pass the ball into our net, after passing moves.

It’s the way forward.
If you have players good enough to execute it
Who said anything about headed goals

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
And the counter arguments are watching March play on the left which almost never works, plus the AK goal against Palace. That goal doesn’t happen if he’s on the left side.

And whilst I appreciate your argument, it doesn’t matter what way a cross swings in if there’s no one there to get on the end of it, as there routinely isn’t for us.

That is very true
To end I hope the who tactical approach changes
Somehow I don’t think it will
Hoping somehow for 3points tonight
UTA:clap2:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Statistically at least Knockaert and March have been consistent. They both create 1.2 chances per game which is generally very high; Gross creates over two per game which is the 6th highest in the league.

The issue isn’t the wingers or their output, it’s how they’re used and also how few players get into the box for them to hit. This point also doesn’t take into account just how deep they’re asked to play compared to other sides’ wingers and how much defensive work they’re asked to do every game.

Most of this, but how they’re used? We need to be realistic, we’re not going to blindly attack and leave no cover for the FBs.

We’re a bottom half PL team, so they are going to need to defend and make their deliveries count.

The bigger issue IMO is your second point, numbers in the box, there is literally no support for whoever plays up front.

Perhaps if we had a more mobile midfield they could get away with less defensive work, but we haven’t, so shape is everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Most of this, but how they’re used? We need to be realistic, we’re not going to blindly attack and leave no cover for the FBs.

We’re a bottom half PL team, so they are going to need to defend and make their deliveries count.

The bigger issue IMO is your second point, numbers in the box, there is literally no support for whoever plays up front.

Perhaps if we had a more mobile midfield they could get away with less defensive work, but we haven’t, so shape is everything.

To be honest, I was trying to defend tour wingers in the main. No one can expect them to be getting double figures for goals and assists if they spend the majority of the time defending, and if there's no one to hit when they do have the opportunity to try and create chances around the opposition box. Even with this apparent change to 433 (which is actually 451 on account of the wingers still being very deep, very often), our wingers are still having to do much more defending than attacking.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be honest, I was trying to defend tour wingers in the main. No one can expect them to be getting double figures for goals and assists if they spend the majority of the time defending, and if there's no one to hit when they do have the opportunity to try and create chances around the opposition box. Even with this apparent change to 433 (which is actually 451 on account of the wingers still being very deep, very often), our wingers are still having to do much more defending than attacking.

Sorry, didn’t really read the rest of the thread, but yes, we never really play a true 4-3-3, IMO, and it is nearly always 4-5-1 for the reason you outline.

But because of our lack of offensive pace this season, we are always going to be pinned back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here