Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Wingers

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Doubtlessly one of the most disappointing aspects of this season has been the utter failure of the wingers to produce. A grand total of 3 league goals between them, excluding Locadia, as he isn't a winger, and pace as a whole has been a massive problem this season. Tat said, there hasn't been a time this season where all wingers have been fully fit, so who knows what may have happened had they been.

Assuming we stay up, which is a bigger assumption than I thought it would be, we cannot go into next season with these wingers producing as they are. The most obvious solution is to sign a new winger, particularly since it's clear that one of the main areas we need to invest in most is pace. But that would mean getting rid of one of the current crop...

So, which winger do we need to move on in the summer? Or do we stick with what we've got?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Knock hart , March both not consistent enough for PL
AJ not a winger should be playing as a number 10 , Izzy has been injured all season and we have missed him

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Don't only blame the wingers, our entire midfield, excluding Gross, have managed 5 goals. The same amount as Shane Duffy.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Knock hart , March both not consistent enough for PL
AJ not a winger should be playing as a number 10 , Izzy has been injured all season and we have missed him

Well, personally I would keep Solly and see what he could do under a new manager.
Izzie will stay, have his op done,and hopefully produce the goods next season.
Who knows about AJ. We paid a lot of dosh for him; is he a dud or does he need another season to adapt?.....hopefully under a new manager!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
well all the time our wingers decide (or are instructed) to beat their man, then stop and either try and beat him a second or even third time they will always struggle to score goals....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would replace Knockaert with Bissouma on the right wing.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Dan James from Swansea is one we should 100% go for, all our wingers aside from Izquierdo lack pace which James has in abundance.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Well, personally I would keep Solly and see what he could do under a new manager.
Izzie will stay, have his op done,and hopefully produce the goods next season.
Who knows about AJ. We paid a lot of dosh for him; is he a dud or does he need another season to adapt?.....hopefully under a new manager!

Has Chris been sacked?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Statistically at least Knockaert and March have been consistent. They both create 1.2 chances per game which is generally very high; Gross creates over two per game which is the 6th highest in the league.

The issue isn’t the wingers or their output, it’s how they’re used and also how few players get into the box for them to hit. This point also doesn’t take into account just how deep they’re asked to play compared to other sides’ wingers and how much defensive work they’re asked to do every game.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
For me the biggest problem with all of our wingers is that not one of them seems to know how to cross the ball. We get into good positions but then never seem to aim a cross into Murray/Andone for them to attack, instead just cutting back on themselves and giving the ball away or making a backwards pass so the attack dies.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s hard to see what the wingers add at the moment. As it’s so rare for our central midfielders to join up with the attack, they either have to cut inside and run into trouble or check back and wait because there’s no-one in the box. By which time the chance has all but gone. I think if we could just gamble a bit more with the central midfielders getting forward, it might make a difference. It doesn’t have to be a wholesale change - just significant tweaks. Otherwise, get a second striker in there and go 4-4-2.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Our wingers always seem to be on their 'wrong' wing so have to cut back in order to cross, rather than getting around the back. They are also so inconsistent. Somebody like March or Knocky will come on and save a game then get a starting role & be hopeless.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think our whingers have been phenomenal this season, both in the East stand, where I sit, and on NSC. Our whingers have been even more effective since the loss to Bournemouth.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
They’re not playing as wingers that’s why. 4-3-3 is not working, it never actually did for me, in fact it’s now destroying some of our players. Yet our blind or stubborn management team do nothing about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here