Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our attacking - and how it often just resembles 'game management'

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
For me the biggest dissapointment about yesterday's result was not the scoreline, because we were not outplayed by Bournmouth in the traditional way and the punishment came when we were down to 10. And Bournmouth were supurb attacking - speed, movement, vision, inventivness and ruthless finishing.

Yes. We were poor defensively. But I believe that even if were were tighter at the back and prevented their counters and goals we were still unlikely to score goals required to get 3 points required.

The key issue to me is our attacking play. It reminds me somewhat of Mourinho's approach, where ball retention and 'game management' takes precience over creativity, risk and directness.

After a good spell early inside the first 25 minutes yesterday, we had good possession and got into good areas but the next step was completely focussed on ball retention or working the ball into an 'area' where we can put in a good ball. This approach takes time and has lots of drawbacks because it has become predictable and requires a good ball and men in the box to get on the end of it. The alternative to not finding a posistion to score is to work the ball back across the back line. To 'retain' and 'recycle'. And build the approach of working the ball into the box again, for one more go at getting the right delivery in. In our case the ball is often 'recycled' slowly with Stephens at the pivot working the ball to the fullback, forward to another midfielder and we work it up field again. And this is all if we retain posession. This is our approach over and over and over again.

I wonder why. Well I perhaps would put it down to concerns about losing the ball in dangerous positions and being exposed on the counter attack. I fear that yesterday would have reinforced this issue in Hughton's mind. This ingrained belief in how teams with 'real quality' will 'hurt you'.

But what has been really sapped with this approach is the players' confidence. The self belief to play, express yourself and believe in the talent and achievements that got them to this club in the first place.

You have to look at Bournmouth's two electric wingers yesterday, Brooks and Fraser and wonder how they would improve our attacks. Sadly I fear they would be largely drawn into the style our own wingers are instructed to play, with the smallest briefs given to beat a man, pass and move. Can you imagine Solly March under Eddie Howe on the other hand?

Whatever the outcome of this season, it's our offensive opproach which needs to change next season. Is Hughton the man for the job? Maybe not, sadly. He has yet to show flexibility in his setup, making it all the more predictable.

As for Tuesday - just get the result, by hook or by crook.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've only just noticed?

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
For me the biggest dissapointment about yesterday's result was not the scoreline, because we were not outplayed by Bournmouth in the traditional way and the punishment came when we were down to 10. And Bournmouth were supurb attacking - speed, movement, vision, inventivness and ruthless finishing.

Yes. We were poor defensively. But I believe that even if were were tighter at the back and prevented their counters and goals we were still unlikely to score goals required to get 3 points required.

The key issue to me is our attacking play. It reminds me somewhat of Mourinho's approach, where ball retention and 'game management' takes precience over creativity, risk and directness.

After a good spell early inside the first 25 minutes yesterday, we had good possession and got into good areas but the next step was completely focussed on ball retention or working the ball into an 'area' where we can put in a good ball. This approach takes time and has lots of drawbacks because it has become predictable and requires a good ball and men in the box to get on the end of it. The alternative to not finding a posistion to score is to work the ball back across the back line. To 'retain' and 'recycle'. And build the approach of working the ball into the box again, for one more go at getting the right delivery in. In our case the ball is often 'recycled' slowly with Stephens at the pivot working the ball to the fullback, forward to another midfielder and we work it up field again. And this is all if we retain posession. This is our approach over and over and over again.

I wonder why. Well I perhaps would put it down to concerns about losing the ball in dangerous positions and being exposed on the counter attack. I fear that yesterday would have reinforced this issue in Hughton's mind. This ingrained belief in how teams with 'real quality' will 'hurt you'.

But what has been really sapped with this approach is the players' confidence. The self belief to play, express yourself and believe in the talent and achievements that got them to this club in the first place.

You have to look at Bournmouth's two electric wingers yesterday, Brooks and Fraser and wonder how they would improve our attacks. Sadly I fear they would be largely drawn into the style our own wingers are instructed to play, with the smallest briefs given to beat a man, pass and move. Can you imagine Solly March under Eddie Howe on the other hand?

Whatever the outcome of this season, it's our offensive opproach which needs to change next season. Is Hughton the man for the job? Maybe not, sadly. He has yet to show flexibility in his setup, making it all the more predictable.

As for Tuesday - just get the result, by hook or by crook.

Excellent summary.

Which is why none of us actually know how good any of our players are (excluding defenders)??

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Something that irritates me about our play in possession is our passing is actually quite poor. So often the receiving player has to track back because the pass was behind him, or stop their forward run because the ball is played to where they are rather than where they will be. If delays our attacks, giving opposition more time to get back into position.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Our attacks our built around a slow target man, they have to wait for! This has become very predictable and so easy for opponents to deal with. Im not criticising Murray!. Yesterday without him we played like he was still there? All our attackers have been stifled by the negative tactics of the coaching staff! Some of them look broken and shadows of what they should be! When our wingers attack in the final third they look to be content on winning corners only?
The first sub yesterday should have been 2 up front! Hughton must take some responsibility in Knockaerts frustration!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
In the good old days when we used to go a goal up - you could see that the 'hold what we have' approach was beginning to take its toil - its just too mentally wearing on a team againts decent opposition.

That negativity has spread this season through the midfield and into attack - we simply look like a team that has lost the ability to do anything decisive in the opponents half.

In Clive Woodwards book about his time as England Rugby Coach - he talks about 'T-Cup thinking' i.e instilling in players the ability of 'Thinking Correctly Under Pressure'

At the moment, we have absolutely none of that. We look unable of executing the most basic of passes, shots etc.

When its become this embedded - I wonder if CH is able to reverse that? If he can, I'm not sure it'll happen in the short term. Hope I'm proven wrong...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here