Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray in

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Well, some posters have been screaming for Murray to be dropped, including some of the most prolific on here.

Yesterday you got your wish and the Bournemouth defence had their easiest game of the season. At least They know they've been in a game with Glenn.
I like the look of Andone and I'm sure he will come good but it's noticeable how we struggle when Murray doesn't play. Case in point, 2nd half in the semi final when we were giving City a hard time until Murray was subbed, our threat then seemed to disappear.
I think our Glenns role is still underestimated by a lot of fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry but there's far to much rubbish to unpack in that post.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We never looked dangerous yesterday, but at least when Murray came on he provided movement and also created space for others. Would be nice to see some others move and give the player with the ball options! It must be down to the training, City were wonderful at moving at Wembley, we need to have players drilled to make runs to make space for themselves or others.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The problem is we dropped Murray and then still played as if he was playing asking Andone to do what Murray does.

Andone could have been a real handful for a makeshift back four yesterday if we had the ability to get Andone to work the channels and play through balls.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Hmm. Drop our top scorer in a game considered by most as 'must win' and then only muster 1 vague attempt at goal in the 90th minute. Not sure if I agree with that philosophy.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The problem is we dropped Murray and then still played as if he was playing asking Andone to do what Murray does.

Andone could have been a real handful for a makeshift back four yesterday if we had the ability to get Andone to work the channels and play through balls.

That is dependent on having a midfield capable of playing a pass, and wide players who stay wide enough to create the space for Andone.

Yesterday Andone did not attempt to get across the near post once and offered nothing (and I like him).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Do the unthinkable play them both.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s baffling. When Hughton first took charge, he played 1 upfront and we were dreadful. We then had 2 great seasons playing 2 upfront but since we got promoted he hasn’t started 2 strikers once.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmm. Drop our top scorer in a game considered by most as 'must win' and then only muster 1 vague attempt at goal in the 90th minute. Not sure if I agree with that philosophy.

Who has scored 4 (four) goals since 01.12.18, and has recently had repeatedly had 0 (zero) shorts on target in games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I’m sorry, but he simply wasn’t good enough. He had Locadia quite close first half, had Propper and Bissouma both getting in support, but he neither found any space or control any balls into his feet. Despite all the negativity we had moments of pressure in that first half, but broke down almost every time Andone was involved. Bad day at the office for everyone.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Yesterday the service to Andone was terrible yet on the rare occasions he did receive a pass, he seemed to have great difficulty actually controlling the ball.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Who has scored 4 (four) goals since 01.12.18, and has recently had repeatedly had 0 (zero) shorts on target in games.

Not saying he is in good form (he clearly isn't) but Andone has done no better.

I don't think it any coincidence that Murray's form has gone to pot since Gross has been out.
Would like Murray to start against Cardiff with Gross behind in 4411. If not then Andone in Gross role. Neither of hem should be asked to play such an isolated role as yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday the service to Andone was terrible yet on the rare occasions he did receive a pass, he seemed to have great difficulty actually controlling the ball.

Now that is my fault, having spent the morning tentatively suggesting Andone's hold up play was very good.

Soz!

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't think it any coincidence that Murray's form has gone to pot since Gross has been out.
Would like Murray to start against Cardiff with Gross behind in 4411. If not then Andone in Gross role. Neither of hem should be asked to play such an isolated role as yesterday.

Definitely, get back to a formula that worked so well for much of last season. I might even be tempted to play Bissouma and Stephens and drop Propper who’s form has completely gone.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Messi would struggle in this team.
You have to have midfield support to whoever is playing upfront. We don’t have that important aspect this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Exactly my point. He's done more than Locadia and Andone since. For us at the moment Murray's on fire! Hopefully Cardiff will get so complacent on Tuesday they may well consider they don't need to play a keeper and we can surprise them with a few shots on goal - they won't be expecting that!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps if Andone had been given a similar amount of opportunities to a clearly out of form Murray we might be able to form that judgement.

So we're back to the old NSC adage 'you get better the less you play'.
Gross was getting a lot of grief for the games he has played, this season.

Murray has been isolated since the switch to 4-3-3, the team have been nothing short of abject failures in 2019.
Yet they have been allowed to plod along for 4 months.

I don't 'blame' Murray as such although I firmly believe his non-existent pace is at the root of the problems, in that half of the pitch.

I do blame CH for twiddling his thumbs while Rome burned, just as the Norwich fans said he would.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Perhaps if Andone had been given a similar amount of opportunities to a clearly out of form Murray we might be able to form that judgement.

So we're back to the old NSC adage 'you get better the less you play'.
Gross was getting a lot of grief for the games he has played, this season.

Murray has been isolated since the switch to 4-3-3, the team have been nothing short of abject failures in 2019.
Yet they have been allowed to plod along for 4 months.

I don't 'blame' Murray as such although I firmly believe his non-existent pace is at the root of the problems, in that half of the pitch.

I do blame CH for twiddling his thumbs while Rome burned, just as the Norwich fans said he would.

Not from me - Gross, even when not playing well, was always our most creative player. He has been a big loss.
Agree about the 433 - it's been a disaster. We seemed to switch to it as our away form was so poor but for some reason used it at home as well when up until then our home form had been good. Not sure why we can't use different formations home and away??

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here