Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We’ve become slow, predictable and conservative . . .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that yesterday it showed that defensively we have gone backwards and both Dunk and Duffy are not the force they were early season. Yet once again Dunk was found wanting when attacked by a speedy forward and Duffy distribution and positioning has gone downhill drastically and as a result he is getting by passed which then puts more pressure on the full back. Due to the poor form of Propper of late and the missing Gross Stephens has not been able to sit in front of and protect the back four as he has done. This again puts more pressure on the defence.

As has been said Keep The Faith all will be well Tuesday and we will sneak a win.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I have just watched the whole game again and for me the problem is the lack of shape and discipline from our midfield three.

The Bournemouth attack was easily getting in between the midfield three and our back four as all them committed forward at the same time without any cover. This was pulling Dunk & Duffy all over the pace. Bissouma is young and only really has eyes for going forward but Stephens and Propper were just jogging back when we lost the ball. Duffy & Dunk were exposed almost every attack in both halves.

Reminded me of the same problem during Sami Hyypia days but then we had Gardner and a young JFC in there.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I have just watched the whole game again and for me the problem is the lack of shape and discipline from our midfield three.

The Bournemouth attack was easily getting in between the midfield three and our back four as all them committed forward at the same time without any cover. This was pulling Dunk & Duffy all over the pace. Bissouma is young and only really has eyes for going forward but Stephens and Propper were just jogging back when we lost the ball. Duffy & Dunk were exposed almost every attack in both halves.

Reminded me of the same problem during Sami Hyypia days but then we had Gardner and a young JFC in there.

I don't know how you access the whole game to watch again, and certainly don't think I could do so!

I agree with you about the midfield being poor, but in part that comes from the lack of movement for a pass. We then give the ball away and get cut open.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
We’ve been slow and predictable since August 2017, with the odd exception (ManU twice at home, CP Nov’18, West Ham home and away last season, Swansea at home, Arsenal at home last season). It’s what we do in the PL, we don’t have pacey players or instinctively creative ACM’ers.

100% agree

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Agreed, and going forwards our centre midfield 3, of Stephens, Propper and Bissouma have only scored 2 and assisted 2 goals between them all season. We are so easy to play against.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
All my relatives support Cardiff - and until yesterday I was desperately hoping we'd get a win and knock
the stuffing out their efforts to survive. This morning I feel ashamed to be an Albion fan. To be honest
Cardiff are showing fight that we never do and if that means we go down instead of them, then so be it.

I won't be moaning. I'll be pi**ed off majorly. But no more than that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely this. They are poor going forward, and poor going back.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
All my relatives support Cardiff - and until yesterday I was desperately hoping we'd get a win and knock
the stuffing out their efforts to survive. This morning I feel ashamed to be an Albion fan. To be honest
Cardiff are showing fight that we never do and if that means we go down instead of them, then so be it.

I won't be moaning. I'll be pi**ed off majorly. But no more than that.

If we lose Tuesday we will go down. I cannot see where any other points are coming from.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I agree with all that, except I watched Stephens and he did keep his defensive position, but was overloaded by three pacey CM'ers counter attacking 3 on 1.

Great and good teams always leave protection back, if other CM'ers take a risk and join an attack.

We're not a good team.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I agree with all that, except I watched Stephens and he did keep his defensive position, but was overloaded by three pacey CM'ers counter attacking 3 on 1.

Great and good teams always leave protection back, if other CM'ers take a risk and join an attack.

We're not a good team.

We were when we got promoted��

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Its all so simple! We lost the ball through sloppy passing, the other team counter attacked us and our midfield unit were none existent in defending it, leaving our defenders roasting! The million dollar question is why do we lose the ball so cheaply of late. We dont have enough quality in the 3 attackers we play! we are better off playing 2 up front and trying to make the ball stick in the final third better than it has of late! We also refuse to counter ourselves anymore! If we do we aim to win corners from them? The constant aerial balls played into a Bournemouth defence who are strong in that area was a joke! I think we won 2 headers in there box all game? Hughton never acknowledges this strength in opposing teams? The Burnley game was another example!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We’ve been slow and predictable since August 2017, with the odd exception (ManU twice at home, CP Nov’18, West Ham home and away last season, Swansea at home, Arsenal at home last season). It’s what we do in the PL, we don’t have pacey players or instinctively creative ACM’ers.

This

Watching Liverpool v Chelsea & seeing the quality, pace, flair & skill of their team compared to the shambles of our lot - whilst we can’t compete with them, I actually feel embarrassed as to how poor we have become. Reasonable players don’t become cannon fodder over night but boy are we poor - certainly since Christmas.
I am struggling as to who to vote for in our player of the season.

The manager has to take responsibility. Please retire Chris before you get sacked.
You will always be remembered fondly in Brighton

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think we will survive this season but can you see three sides worse than us next season? Who could we realistically expect to beat?

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Watching Liverpool v Chelsea & seeing the quality, pace, flair & skill of their team compared to the shambles of our lot - whilst we can’t compete with them, I actually feel embarrassed as to how poor we have become. Reasonable players don’t become cannon fodder over night but boy are we poor - certainly since Christmas.
I am struggling as to who to vote for in our player of the season.

The manager has to take responsibility. Please retire Chris before you get sacked.
You will always be remembered fondly in Brighton

Of course the top teams in the Premiership are a class above teams like the Albion and we have to play a defensive style which entails a lot of running to make up for our lack of possession which over the season results in players burn out and a number being unfit, which explains our present situation

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course the top teams in the Premiership are a class above teams like the Albion and we have to play a defensive style which entails a lot of running to make up for our lack of possession which over the season results in players burn out and a number being unfit, which explains our present situation

Funny isn’t. 28,000 of us loyally sitting there game after game, watching the burnt out pile of dross. Optimistic with pints of beer and singing in the concourses at 2.30pm, long faces in a made dash for the buses and trains at 4.25pm.

You’ve got to see the funny side of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here