Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early when getting stuffed?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it’s just a sign of the times; attention spans for pretty much everything is dismissed these days. And lots of people seem to spend their time rushing around wanting to beat traffic, people etc.

Definitely, unable to live the moment.

People spend £100's to watch bands at the O2 etc, then spend half their time filming it to boast (mid concert) on Instagram, before racing off early to win the sprint to the tube.

Modern life is strange.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So much easier to walk home...... We normally sit down 90 mins before KO but after a 2.5 hour drive if we don't get parked at Mill Hill an hour after opening its full..... Then it's a race across town to the race course.... So we time it to get there early rather than late......

You must be very warm blooded!!

In recent years I feel the cold so much (I got it off of my Dad). I minimise sitting outside at stadia. During the first half yesterday I was physically shaking with cold. Younger people near me headed off during the half to get hot chocolates.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Something that was very different back in the day was arriving early. When I used to perch on the East Terrace, I would arrive about 1.30, so I could find a barrier to lean on (scoliosis) and there were plenty in the ground. The idea of taking my seat at the Amex at 1.30 is anathema. Especially for an evening kick off. Does anyone actually take their seat 90 minutes before KO these days?

Never leaned on a barrier, always stood in front of a barrier, why would you want to be squashed against the barrier when a goal was scored.

I think arriving early was obviously more prevalent at the Goldstone given it was POTG and when large crowds were expected no one wanted to be locked out, which when combined with people wanting their favourite spots in the ground then people would arrive early.

Now there is no need to arrive early given everyone has a ticket, and even of you do arrive early the concourses provide forfar better drink/food options plus screens to watch early kick offs, here is no requirement to enter the seating area that early

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Definitely, unable to live the moment.

People spend £100's to watch bands at the O2 etc, then spend half their time filming it to boast (mid concert) on Instagram, before racing off early to win the sprint to the tube.

Modern life is strange.

I went to Wimbledon a couple of years back (tennis not football). We were in No.1 court. Oddly, a couple came in, sat below us, took a few pics and buggered off again, they never came back to their seats.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Seating makes it seem worse, having to keep getting up so people can pass.

I'm sure those of you with aisle seats at Wembley had fun like I did.

Neck ache from peering round a continual stream of people going up and down the steps with their nachos, and arse ache from perpetually getting up to let people in and out of our row.

What the **** do people go for, really? How I long for terracing.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I remember a lot walking out, me included, when we got stuffed by Bristol City at Withdean just before Mcghee took over. Think it was 4.1?

We were absolute garbage that day and I remember it felt like we had a pretty bleak future at the time so maybe understandable.

Off topic, but what a job Mcghee did that season. Will always love the guy for that and the following season, two incredibly enjoyable seasons against all odds.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Couldn't stop myself going when the third went in ( 74 min ). Told my friends I would see them back at the car. They arrived back at car about 2 minutes after me! Was sitting in car waiting for them and thinking....' 3-0 to Bournemouth at home is shocking '....Jonny Cantor then said....' Bournemouth going in search of their 5th ' The others arrived and I told them it was 4-0. Shock. Pure shock....' Shit, didn't think it could get any worse ' one of them said.....cue....Bournemouth score their 5th....silence....long, lingering silence.
I thought back to 0-5 at Palace ( left on 60 min )...two 0-4's at Brentford ( 60 min/75min )....0-3 down at West Ham after 10 mins....went at 0-4 ( finished 0-6 ).....and none of them left me with a feeling like Saturday? This is supposed to be the strongest squad of players we have ever assembled, in our history. Some of the most organised and disciplined football we have witnessed against talented opposition.
And yet, 7 days after a performance to be proud of, came a performance to be ashamed of.
I can forgive my team being outplayed. What I can never forgive is my team giving up. It was a collective surrender. Passes given away cheaply and no effort to chase back. Difficult to remember so many basic errors in a game that led directly to goals. Difficult to remember a collapse such as this and difficult to accept that a squad of players, that I thought had terrific spirit and fight in them, showed very little. Sadness to now see a much lauded manager, isolated and desperate and being let down so badly.
I had plenty of time to think on the drive home...no one was talking. I realised that I had been guilty of not seeing the signs. I put the collapse at Fulham down to being a one-off. The Burnley defeat as unlucky. Southampton as just one of those days. Chelsea, well, we always lose to Chelsea. I forgot that we really struggled v Huddersfield. I was living off the back of winning at Palace and Wembley. Two isolated performances mixed in with a whole host of mediocre, below-par displays.
Its been coming and most of us ( if we are honest ) refused to see it coming.

Roddy

Feb 14, 2005
Couldn't stop myself going when the third went in ( 74 min ). Told my friends I would see them back at the car. They arrived back at car about 2 minutes after me! Was sitting in car waiting for them and thinking....' 3-0 to Bournemouth at home is shocking '....Jonny Cantor then said....' Bournemouth going in search of their 5th ' The others arrived and I told them it was 4-0. Shock. Pure shock....' Shit, didn't think it could get any worse ' one of them said.....cue....Bournemouth score their 5th....silence....long, lingering silence.
I thought back to 0-5 at Palace ( left on 60 min )...two 0-4's at Brentford ( 60 min/75min )....0-3 down at West Ham after 10 mins....went at 0-4 ( finished 0-6 ).....and none of them left me with a feeling like Saturday? This is supposed to be the strongest squad of players we have ever assembled, in our history. Some of the most organised and disciplined football we have witnessed against talented opposition.
And yet, 7 days after a performance to be proud of, came a performance to be ashamed of.
I can forgive my team being outplayed. What I can never forgive is my team giving up. It was a collective surrender. Passes given away cheaply and no effort to chase back. Difficult to remember so many basic errors in a game that led directly to goals. Difficult to remember a collapse such as this and difficult to accept that a squad of players, that I thought had terrific spirit and fight in them, showed very little. Sadness to now see a much lauded manager, isolated and desperate and being let down so badly.
I had plenty of time to think on the drive home...no one was talking. I realised that I had been guilty of not seeing the signs. I put the collapse at Fulham down to being a one-off. The Burnley defeat as unlucky. Southampton as just one of those days. Chelsea, well, we always lose to Chelsea. I forgot that we really struggled v Huddersfield. I was living off the back of winning at Palace and Wembley. Two isolated performances mixed in with a whole host of mediocre, below-par displays.

Absolutely spot on, well said.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Did this happen so much back in the day? Recall getting beat 2-8 and seeing the game out, is it rose tinted or did people not get so upset with defeats back in the 70's/80's era?

I stayed until the end of the 8-2 defeat but I had a 5 minute walk home, whereas on Saturday it was a train to Brighton and a 90 mile drive. Obviously this isn't everyone's experience but it was easier to get home from the Goldstone for a lot of people. But I think that people maybe had a bit more perspective and you didn't have the sense of the stakes being so massively high fuelled by the constant media attention. In the 70s relegation was a huge blow but it was all part of the ups and downs of the game and you always believed that you were a few new signings away from bouncing back and that this didn't depend on building up huge debts or selling your soul to a company or shady individual.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
My son and I were just so angry we had to leave at 5 down before I said or did anything I could regret. The journey back to Leeds was not the cheeriest.

First time ever walking out, even stayed to the end for our 7-1 defeat at Huddersfield

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Stayed until the end but there weren't many left, 7,500 + Muff?

Didn't like but understood the booing.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I stayed until the end of the 8-2 defeat but I had a 5 minute walk home, whereas on Saturday it was a train to Brighton and a 90 mile drive. Obviously this isn't everyone's experience but it was easier to get home from the Goldstone for a lot of people. But I think that people maybe had a bit more perspective and you didn't have the sense of the stakes being so massively high fuelled by the constant media attention. In the 70s relegation was a huge blow but it was all part of the ups and downs of the game and you always believed that you were a few new signings away from bouncing back and that this didn't depend on building up huge debts or selling your soul to a company or shady individual.

Indeed.
The hundreds of millions at stake and the large amounts that the fans have to fork out, now make a huge difference to attitude. The owners and fans are both less patient now. The club sold us on being ' PL ready ' The fans have bought into it and committed their cash in large amounts. Its not unreasonable to expect regular commitment from highly paid players.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
My son and I were just so angry we had to leave at 5 down before I said or did anything I could regret. The journey back to Leeds was not the cheeriest.

First time ever walking out, even stayed to the end for our 7-1 defeat at Huddersfield

I can take most things but players visibly giving up is the final straw for me and most committed fans.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Enjoyed reading that - lots that I agree with - but the difficulty for me is that somehow it is untenable for many on here that we might be a bit s**t at this level ! That we haven't been one-off the bottom 3 since the start of the season (or indeed since we were promoted) is as much the story for me. Had we been there for most of the season, would we feel differently right now? one of the reasons for our "success" has been that we haven't had long runs without picking up points in some shape, way or form. Its hard to see that after Saturday, but Saturday was hard to see after Wembley. Cardiff will be a horrible game to watch unless Cardiff implode - similar to Huddersfield but with a niggly home crowd.. This is our level !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely correct - me and junior have been discussing how crap we've been for weeks. We've been threatening a performance like this for most of the season - so wasn't much of a surprise to be honest. Even in our 'good' spells we were crap (the three 1-0 wins earlier in the season for example). What was shocking was the utter capitulation on Saturday - tomorrow will either see more of the same, or a complete turnaround. I fear the former, particularly of we concede early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here