Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matty Ryan pre/post Asian cup

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Pre Asian cup - makes saves which help the team

Post Asian cup - looks like Wayne Henderson.

I love Matty. But he has to start earning his spot by saving a shot on target. Today they had 6 on target and scored 5. Cup semi they had 2.

Note. I’m not calling for him to be dropped, but pre Asian cup Matty would have saved more today.

Am I wrong?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Agree! I have never seen such an ineffective goalkeeper when someone is running into the box with the ball. He seems to shrink in size. Before he went off to that Micky mouse tournament he was saving all sorts, now a shot on target seems to go in. I am not saying he is particularly at fault all the time, he just never seems to save anything these days.
The other issue is the club has utter shite as reserve keepers. Button is a disaster waiting to happen and Steele seems to be 3rd choice which means he is worse than Button. Maty has no pressure on his jersey unlike last year when Krul was a quality back up!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ryan's first game back after that tinpot tournament was Fulham away when we went in at the break 2 up and lost 4-2. Something seemed very awry in the communication between the keeper and the defence in that game and it hasn't got much better since.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Poorest ball player of any keeper in the PL. I've seen 15 year old keepers kick better.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Different keeper since back from Asia cup , never comes for crosses , doesn’t command his box , distribution is poor now , and hardly makes a save , thought he could of done better with the Southampton goal ,as for today well , maybe we need a chand
Ge in keepers as well as other areas in the team

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Different keeper since back from Asia cup , never comes for crosses , doesn’t command his box , distribution is poor now , and hardly makes a save , thought he could of done better with the Southampton goal ,as for today well , maybe we need a chand
Ge in keepers as well as other areas in the team

Becoming a master of picking the ball out of the net, he shirley leads PL stats on that.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Absolutely rubbish

One of the most overrated players of all time. There's a reason he completely flopped at Valencia (like Montoya)

Get anyone else in ......

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
We’ve had exactly this conversation several times over the past few weeks. SInce coming back from the tournament his kicking has been atrocious and he simply doesn’t seem capable of pulling off the saves he made last season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Speaking of Stockdale, Boric looks like he's taken a leaf out of his book.

In fairness to him we all would have put on a couple of lbs if we were in goal against the Albion.

It's hardly a workout is it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A cat like shot stopper, but I wonder if he’ll be our keeper in 18 months time? The club can be quite mercenary with keepers ... Stockdale.

Is he though?

Since the Asian cup when was his last ‘wow’ save, the one he saved in the semi-final, was a good height for him.

He seems to concede a lot of goals when the angle is actually in his favour.

At the moment I am on the fence as to whether he is good enough. The trouble is Button isn’t good enough either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Did a quick search on BBC website

Bournemouth - 7 shots, 5 goals
Chelsea - 4 shots, 3 goals
Southampton- 2 shots, 1 goal
Palace - 3 shots, 1 goal
Leicester- 3 shots, 2 goals
Burnley - 5 shots, 3 goals

Total - 24 shots on target, 15 goals conceded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here