Knockaert 3
Andone 4 / Murray 5
Locadia 5

Pretty much as I saw it
Hobby Horse. So many Albion fans have no clue about Dales worth

When I listen to radio/ tv h e always gets a key mention

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Ali will come good as a player at Brighton but to sort of gloat at the defeat because he didn't play isn't all that nice to read on this forum.

Maybe once Ali contributes like he is part of a team. Perhaps his fans will also ?

I think you misinterpreted: I was fine with him not playing, just that perhaps now the people who keep blaming losses and stagnant play on him realize this is a whole team problem not a why doesn't Alireza score five goals a game problem. A healthy team should have competition for all positions but it makes no sense to play your all time most expensive signing out of position and then have fans blame him for losses or tactics. Here you are without him, what happened? Didn't mean to "gloat", it is merely a reflection of the nonsense posts I read after games that he plays in. He is consistently undervalued and his contributions are measured only in goals/assists, instead of all the other things he has brought to the team immediately. This has been visible numerous times when he is subbed out and suddenly the opposing team finds space down that flank, despite a fresh player being on.

And, to be honest, if you count many of our other players' roles as "contributions" then I don't know what to tell you. If AK had not scored the CP goal, then what would you say his overall contribution was this season? And if a single goal is the difference between "contributing" and "not contributing" then maybe we just won't see the team the same way.

There are lots of big questions this season: why was March played game after game when he was "not contributing" but then as soon as he started playing well he lost his spot? Why did Kayal disappear even though he was contributing much as well? Why is Andone underplayed when we need pressure up front, especially if paired with Alireza and Izzy, instead of slow, hoof-it football?

Must be dull watching a team and only being interested in one player in the squad, especially when he doesn’t play :smile:

Not fair, but oh well life usually isn't :clap2: :bounce:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sunday Times Ratings

Ryan. 4
Montoya 4
Duffy 4
Dunk 3
Bernardo4
Bissouma 5
Stephens 5
Propper 4. Izzy 6?
Knockaert 3
Andone 4 / Murray 5
Locadia 5

Pretty much as I saw it
Hobby Horse. So many Albion fans have no clue about Dales worth

When I listen to radio/ tv h e always gets a key mention

Damning of Lewis Dunk. Could be a very long time before he’s trusted for England duty.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you misinterpreted: I was fine with him not playing, just that perhaps now the people who keep blaming losses and stagnant play on him realize this is a whole team problem not a why doesn't Alireza score five goals a game problem. A healthy team should have competition for all positions but it makes no sense to play your all time most expensive signing out of position and then have fans blame him for losses or tactics. Here you are without him, what happened? Didn't mean to "gloat", it is merely a reflection of the nonsense posts I read after games that he plays in. He is consistently undervalued and his contributions are measured only in goals/assists, instead of all the other things he has brought to the team immediately. This has been visible numerous times when he is subbed out and suddenly the opposing team finds space down that flank, despite a fresh player being on.

And, to be honest, if you count many of our other players' roles as "contributions" then I don't know what to tell you. If AK had not scored the CP goal, then what would you say his overall contribution was this season? And if a single goal is the difference between "contributing" and "not contributing" then maybe we just won't see the team the same way.

There are lots of big questions this season: why was March played game after game when he was "not contributing" but then as soon as he started playing well he lost his spot? Why did Kayal disappear even though he was contributing much as well? Why is Andone underplayed when we need pressure up front, especially if paired with Alireza and Izzy, instead of slow, hoof-it football?
:

Your defence of your favourite player is admirable.

But it is not just about goals and assists, it’s about all round play. Can you honestly say, regardless of the position he is playing in, he has made a meaningful contribution?

His work-rate is ordinary at best, regardless of your opinion of March and Knockaert they both work a lot harder, and play for the team.
Based on the games I’ve seen he has no change of pace and looks out of his depth, that also applies when he switches wings. Has he even got a meaningful cross in from either side?

I still believe next season he may come good, but for where we are currently we need a lot more from AJ than he is currently showing.

We do not win or lose games because of one player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ridiculously knee jerk.
6 average

Ryan - 5. Didn’t do much wrong and kicking was better today, when was the last time he made a ‘dig us out’ save though?
Montoya - 6. I thought he was decent in spells, most good came down our right.
Duffy - 4. Totally at fault for the first goal, awful game. Limitations are being exposed.
Dunk - 5. Will be gutted. Actually played OK until that last 20 minutes.
Bernardo - 4. Good player, terrible game. I’d be tempted to play Bong Tuesday.
Stephens - 3. Lost all confidence with the ball, suddenly can’t seem to tackle. Actually improved slightly when Propper went off and we went to a 4.
Propper - 1. SHIT. Stunk the place out. Rightly subbed.
Bissouma - 6. The ONLY one looking to drive forward, if people can’t see the potential here they’re watching the wrong sport.
AK - 0. Goodbye.
Locadia - 3. I fear we’ve done our money. Play him as a number 9 or not at all. Why didn’t he shoot when he passed to Murray?
Andone - 4. Starting to think he is actually more affective as an impact sub. I think he’s a number 10 in a 4-4-2. Was subbed to stop him getting sent off, the irony.

Murray - 5. Did OK, so slow to react to that half chance though.
Izzy - 4. Did nothing, looks rusty which is understandable.

Hughton - 2. The formation doesn’t work, we don’t have the players for it. Einstein’s theory of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome. A large section of our crowd turned today, I fear this won’t end well which is very sad.

The crowd - 10. At last we told the team (and manager) what we felt. A result like this has been brewing for months and we’ve been letting them off easy IMO.
i like Bissouma but his first touch is sometimes a bit heavy and he needs to work on his passing and shooting do this and I think will have a very good footballer.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Warren Aspinall said he had watched a few Dutch games and thought he could still get a game over there as the pace was so slow! B'mouth got Wilson from Coventry for less than £4m and Brooks from Sheff Utd for £11m, both miles better that the £30m we spent on AJ and JL. WTF are our recruitment team doing?

Our recruitment team watched Wilson over 30 (thirty) times. Nope, me neither.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Can you honestly say, regardless of the position he is playing in, he has made a meaningful contribution?

I can, based off the times I've seen him substituted out and then watched as his replacement's flank becomes the big hole that the opposing team exploits. And in games when he hasn't played?..

The effect is clear: in EPL games where Alireza has played more than 70 minutes, Brighton have 5 wins and 2 losses (one against Chelsea..). That's 15 of Brighton's 33 points (45%) all season have come in the SEVEN games Alireza has played a significant role in.

His work-rate is ordinary at best, regardless of your opinion of March and Knockaert they both work a lot harder, and play for the team.
Based on the games I’ve seen he has no change of pace and looks out of his depth, that also applies when he switches wings. Has he even got a meaningful cross in from either side?

He needs to bulk up, sure, but what gives you the impression his work-rate is "ordinary"? Because he doesn't hotheadedly charge at three defenders recklessly and lose the ball when he has the option to pass to an open player? Because he doesn't throw a fit every time something doesn't go his way or yell at a teammate so that he can show his "passion"? Anthony Knockaert has had 15 EPL games where he has played 70 minutes or more (I won't even include Bournemouth when he got the red at 68'). Brighton's record in those 15 games? 4 win 3 ties 8 losses, LESS wins and EQUAL points than with Alireza in the team despite Alireza being played less than HALF as many games. So what use or good is all this presumed "work-rate" and passion if you don't get results?

We do not win or lose games because of one player.

I agree, which is why I hope to see other Brighton fans not demean him or insult his dedication to the team when he plays a strong game and important role, but doesn't score.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can, based off the times I've seen him substituted out and then watched as his replacement's flank becomes the big hole that the opposing team exploits. And in games when he hasn't played?..

The effect is clear: in EPL games where Alireza has played more than 70 minutes, Brighton have 5 wins and 2 losses (one against Chelsea..). That's 15 of Brighton's 33 points (45%) all season have come in the SEVEN games Alireza has played a significant role in.

He needs to bulk up, sure, but what gives you the impression his work-rate is "ordinary"? Because he doesn't hotheadedly charge at three defenders recklessly and lose the ball when he has the option to pass to an open player? Because he doesn't throw a fit every time something doesn't go his way or yell at a teammate so that he can show his "passion"? Anthony Knockaert has had 15 EPL games where he has played 70 minutes or more (I won't even include Bournemouth when he got the red at 68'). Brighton's record in those 15 games? 4 win 3 ties 8 losses, LESS wins and EQUAL points than with Alireza in the team despite Alireza being played less than HALF as many games. So what use or good is all this presumed "work-rate" and passion if you don't get results?

I agree, which is why I hope to see other Brighton fans not demean him or insult his dedication to the team when he plays a strong game and important role, but doesn't score.

You quote stats with and without him and then say it’s a team game?

It is foolish to say he’s the cause of a win or a defeat, perhaps he played in easier games (Huddersfield home?) - we win and lose together.

He doesn’t get withdrawn because he’s playing well, it’s usually because his fitness level is low compared to the rest and he is struggling. You simply cannot compare Dutch football with the PL, because the pace and intensity is far greater.

Defensively he rarely tracks and ball watches, watch the Southampton game particularly - he was dire for the first 20 minutes, silly flicks and leaving Bernardo exposed.

Also, you keep throwing Knockaert into the equation, is that because he gets selected ahead of AJ, based on what the manager sees in training and the vast majority of supporters see on the pitch?
IMO, Both he and Solly have shown more than AJ this year, both offensive and defensively.

Whilst we all respect your support for him, it is important to understand that historically Brighton are a smallish club, that are (hopefully) in the process of developing to a bigger one, and a lot of our older supporters (like myself), would anticipate that when we spend £17m+ on a player, there is a fairly quick impact. To date for AJ there has been none.

However, Cardiff is an opportunity for him tonight and we all hope he takes it, (he really will need to be up for it physically), but the pre-season will be massive in terms of fitness and perhaps continuing to develop. Next season could well be the time for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
i like Bissouma but his first touch is sometimes a bit heavy and he needs to work on his passing and shooting do this and I think will have a very good footballer.

Apart from a heavy first touch and poor passing and shooting....................

What does he do well? :)

Edit
I like the way he bombs forward but don't like the way it nearly always ends in losing possession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here