Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Hughes The Times "Hughton feels the heat"

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Being discussed on Talksport now..........trying to make a story out of the ‘rumblings of discontent in the squad’..........’this kind of thing costs managers their jobs’.......’if they stay up (they will, looks pretty certain that Cardiff will be the ones to drop) he at least deserves the chance to start next season’ etc
Journalists are only discussing the Relegation battle now because they know that quite conceivably the Relegation battle could be over in a week or so

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If you read that someone got evicted just after the teams were announced this afternoon for lobbing a pie from the WSL, it’ll probably be me if Murray is a starter on his own upfront.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not many do at the start of matches recently :lolol:

Has he started in a game where we have actually gone for it from the off rather than a game we sit back in? Genuine question btw. This is when we’d see the best of him imo, not cameos when we are chasing a game.

We never go for it though, and that’s not a criticism, more of a fact.

We sometimes start at a high tempo, but don’t pile forward so to speak.

I know we differ on this one, but I just don’t rate him particularly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But quite plainly it’s a personnel issue. No Izquierdo or Groß means we’re 1 dimensional. He can’t help injuries or overall understudy paucity.

and have stayed one dimensional for all of 2019, with no hint of change.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Hughton is to scared to drop Murray despite him being far from any kind of form.
Hughton did drop Murray against Palace but Andone got injured in the warm up and then unavailable for the next couple of games.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We never go for it though, and that’s not a criticism, more of a fact.

We sometimes start at a high tempo, but don’t pile forward so to speak.

I know we differ on this one, but I just don’t rate him particularly.

If he starts I expect to be back later to laugh at you :wink:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If it's something thousands of Brighton fans have been talking about for months, I don't see why a couple of players might not be thinking the same thing. Doesn't mean they want him out.

But it's worrying, only because we need absolutely everyone pulling in the same direction with no hint of discord in these next two matches. By Tuesday night we could be either safe, or in real trouble, even in the drop-zone. Any hint of a split between manager and players could result in a Palace play-off SF scenario. I don't mind the counter-attacking style if it delivers points, but the passing has to have tempo when you're going forward or it doesn't work. And you need more efforts on goal than we are managing to have a chance of wins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I tend to agree about Locadia. For the last 3 or 4 games he has looked like a breath of fresh air when he has come on from the bench.

However he rarely looks like a breath of fresh air when he has started matches.

That'll be from just 11 starts, for which he's scored 2 goals.

Not to mention the 2 goals and an assist in the FA Cup.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jur...erein=1237&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Locadia main run of starts (9) began at Bournemouth.
In that time he's been forced to play with Murray who has somehow managed 11 starts scoring only 3 goals.
Sadly my memory doesn't go much further back than the Southampton game where GM didn't have a single shot on target and I wasn't surprised.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gle...erein=1237&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Now clearly Big Jurg isn't in the same Ali J camp having had plenty of time to acclimatize to his team mates, the league and the country and getting a decent run of consecutive starts
But to repeatedly lose his place to a player who doesn't fit the system and isn't performing has to be somewhat disheartening esp if your 15 minute cameos (word up) are the only highlight of some seriously dirgey football.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That'll be from just 11 starts, for which he's scored 2 goals.

Not to mention the 2 goals and an assist in the FA Cup.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jur...erein=1237&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Locadia main run of starts (9) began at Bournemouth.
In that time he's been forced to play with Murray who has somehow managed 11 starts scoring only 3 goals.
Sadly my memory doesn't go much further back than the Southampton game where GM didn't have a single shot on target and I wasn't surprised.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gle...erein=1237&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Now clearly Big Jurg isn't in the same Ali J camp having had plenty of time to acclimatize to his team mates, the league and the country and getting a decent run of consecutive starts
But to repeatedly lose his place to a player who doesn't fit the system and isn't performing has to be somewhat disheartening esp if your 15 minute cameos (word up) are the only highlight of some seriously dirgey football.
Are you advocating his form when he has started is good enough to command a regular start ? My post agreed that from the bench he gets goals and assists and your response makes reference to goals than assists which came from the bench. You can't have your cake and eat it. When he starts he isn't as potent . That's all I have said.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you advocating his form when he has started is good enough to command a regular start ? My post agreed that from the bench he gets goals and assists and your response makes reference to goals than assists which came from the bench. You can't have your cake and eat it. When he starts he isn't as potent . That's all I have said.
My point is neither is Murray, in this 'new' system, and yet he's been allowed to stink the place out for weeks now, despite Locadia and Andone being the only consistent rays of sunshine we've had when they've replaced him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Prob bollocks but FWIW

Hughton feels the heat
Chris Hughton is facing rumblings of discontent from certain Brighton players over his perceived negative tactics, with some claiming privately that the manager’s overriding concern is ensuring that they do not lose. Brighton have won only two Premier League matches this year and have failed to score in their past three games. Hughton’s position is not under threat, however, as victory over Cardiff on Tuesday, or even against Bournemouth tomorrow, should keep them in the Premier League for a third season. While the Brighton owner Tony Bloom is ambitious to push on, Hughton is popular at the Amex Stadium, where it is acknowledged that replacing him would represent a significant gamble.

Given our results since December, there are bound to be rumblings. But then surely it depends who's doing the rumbling. There are some fairly obvious contenders who, I imagine, would be told that if they don't like it, they're welcome to move on...

Personally, I think when we eventually have a stronger side, Hughton will take a more positive approach. However, I also think he underestimates our own ability sometimes when we take on teams who have been on a bad run. It would be nice to be more pro-active in those matches.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
CH is more negative than my mum...and believe me she is negative with a capital N....

However, his job is to keep the club in the division. That is his main focus, so you cant blame him for having a dont concede attitude. I personally think the shackles will come off today though as we need to have more chances on goal! Well I hope so anyway.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Given our results since December, there are bound to be rumblings. But then surely it depends who's doing the rumbling. There are some fairly obvious contenders who, I imagine, would be told that if they don't like it, they're welcome to move on...

Personally, I think when we eventually have a stronger side, Hughton will take a more positive approach. However, I also think he underestimates our own ability sometimes when we take on teams who have been on a bad run. It would be nice to be more pro-active in those matches.

Also, the Gaffer was an accomplished full back in his playing days and I suspect a clean sheet is always his first target. It's bred in the bone with defenders.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My point is neither is Murray, in this 'new' system, and yet he's been allowed to stink the place out for weeks now, despite Locadia and Andone being the only consistent rays of sunshine we've had when they've replaced him.
Murray got dropped v Palace until Andone got injured in the warm up. Murray then scored that day which in effect gave him a reprieve. He has his limitations . My post was about Locadia. I don't wish to discuss Murray. His track record is decent but not mind blowing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Murray got dropped v Palace until Andone got injured in the warm up. Murray then scored that day which in effect gave him a reprieve. He has his limitations . My post was about Locadia. I don't wish to discuss Murray. His track record is decent but not mind blowing

I don't see how you can discuss any Albion players lack of potency in front of goal and not bring Murray into the discussion.

I love how the palace reprieve gets pulled out as some kind of redemption completely forgetting the fact he was 'dropped' because he was so poor, then went on to start and play far far worse v Millwall, Southampton and unsurprisingly City.

My bone of contention with 2019 is the managers refusal to change either the failing system or the players that are failing the system.

I believe CH has the players at his disposal to make 4-3-3 work very well but his reliance on GM and not running the risk of conceding a goal is holding everybody (esp Locadia, Andone and Ali J) back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here