Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Grand Theft Auto

wokingone

Jul 15, 2003
Exeter
What advice would NSC members give to a parent who is being asked by his 12 year old (soon to be 13) that he wants GTA for his birthday. He already plays Just Cause 4.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've played through GTA V twice (love the game) and it's an awkward one. For the most part there's just a lot of bad language and slightly cartoonish violence (not a lot different to Just Cause 4 it appears from reading up on it, never played the game so can't directly compare), but there are a couple of bits of the story which are genuinely very dark (such as when two of the characters are torturing someone for the Government to extract information). There's also some sex, not as much as in previous editions of the game however.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In the opening scene of the story a hillbilly bangs a methhead in his kitchen then stamps on a druglords head and has some of his brain on his shoe...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame the games industry doesn't have an age rating like films

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What advice would NSC members give to a parent who is being asked by his 12 year old (soon to be 13) that he wants GTA for his birthday. He already plays Just Cause 4.
Personally I think 12 is way too young still. My children are the same age, and I don't let them play games like that.

In GTA, you stand if front of a car, which stops, drag the driver out, shoot them or run over them if you like. Pay a prossie for sex, then after they're out the car, run them over and get your money back. etc etc.

It's not really ideal for a 12 year old.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

If your happy with your 12 year old playing a game rated 18 and containing the following game play, then fill your boots.

Players use pistols, machine guns, sniper rifles, and explosives to kill various enemies (e.g., rival gang members); players also have the ability to shoot non-adversary civilians, though this may negatively affect players' progress as a penalty system triggers a broad police search. Blood-splatter effects occur frequently, and the game contains rare depictions of dismemberment. In one sequence, players are directed to use various instruments and means (e.g., pipe wrench, tooth removal, electrocution) to extract information from a character; the sequence is intense and prolonged, and it involves some player interaction (i.e., responding to on-screen prompts). The game includes depictions of sexual material/activity: implied fellatio and ************; various sex acts that the player's character procures from a prostitute—while no nudity is depicted in these sequences, various sexual moaning sounds can be heard. Nudity is present, however, primarily in two settings: a topless lap dance in a strip club and a location that includes male cult members with exposed genitalia in a non-sexual context. Within the game, TV programs and radio ads contain instances of mature humor: myriad sex jokes; depictions of raw sewage and feces on a worker's body; a brief instance of necrophilia (no nudity is depicted). Some sequences within the larger game allow players to use narcotics (e.g., smoking from a bong, lighting a marijuana joint); cocaine use is also depicted. Players' character can, at various times, consume alcohol and drive while under the influence. The words “f**k,” “c*nt,” and “n**ger” can be heard in the dialogue.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It features sex, drugs, violence, alcohol, foul language...all adult themes. Its an 18 for a reason. I'm not saying it'll scar him for life, but an adult can take a more nuanced view than a child, who will be more far impressionable at that age. I'm sure he won't suddenly turn into Trevor or start adopting some of his behaviour, but by letting him play GTA you're turning a blind eye and in effect endorsing it.

I loved that game (not played it in yonks mind), but personally I would never have let my (then) 12/13 year old play it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not something you ever have found Pac-Man doing. :nono:

But those were the days when parents said 'no' to their children, and we were left sat in the car with a bottle of pop and packet of salt 'n' shake crisps.

JimothyJames95

Jan 2, 2019
Eastbourne
I was around 12/13 years olds when I was allowed to play GTA IV. My parents had initially stopped me from playing them due to the amount of media coverage the games were getting when they were released. I was initially banned from playing the games after I was running around Vice City with a Samurai Sword. I was 6 at the time, so I can see my parents point.

From my experience, I would say your child’s age is probably okay to be exposed to GTA, even if they haven’t had the experience of playing Just Cause 4. Just beware the GTA violence is a lot more realistic, than the almost comical slapstick Just Cause 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Don't do it.

He will love it.

Your mrs will hate it & you.

My favourite line from the last one "you might only be 12 yrs old, I'll still rape you". Says it all - fantasy world & not for kids

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was around 12/13 years olds when I was allowed to play GTA IV. My parents had initially stopped me from playing them due to the amount of media coverage the games were getting when they were released. I was initially banned from playing the games after I was running around Vice City with a Samurai Sword. I was 6 at the time, so I can see my parents point.

From my experience, I would say your child’s age is probably okay to be exposed to GTA, even if they haven’t had the experience of playing Just Cause 4. Just beware the GTA violence is a lot more realistic, than the almost comical slapstick Just Cause 4.

I couldn't get my head round GTA.

I guess driving responsibly, parking correctly and paying prostitutes the going rate was rather missing the point.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
**** it he will watch a play a lot worse, it will probably help him grow up a bit. At 13 I fingered a girl, so I would expect he could be doing a lot worse than running a few people over and shooting people on a computer game. as for swearing if he has Call of Duty he is already using worse language than there is in the game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I quite enjoyed the golf missions myself.

Greatest golf game ever

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

reviewr1228-5.jpg

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills