Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] From parks to Premier League: the shocking scale of racism in English football

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Bernado talking about punishment for racism in Brazil.
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...rnardo-stricter-punishment-needed-for-racism/

“I was at the stadium for a Copa Libertadores game between Sao Paulo and an Argentinian team — the camera saw the Argentinian player offending the Brazilian player and at half-time they had the images.

“The second half didn’t start, they went and arrested him on the pitch and took him to jail.

“The guy spent one day in jail and then flew back to Argentina, but the image of a football player being arrested on the pitch for being racist is so powerful and impactful.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
“But he (Darren Clarke) epitomised something that is really dangerous too. If he fails as a manager, he fails as a black manager, not on an individual level.'

I concur. Important point.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've said it before, but I don't understand some people's hatred towards others, purely because of the colour of their skin. Or sexuality, political leaning, race or – dare I say it – choice of football team?

Also, I think it's great that the issue of racism in football (sport) is seemingly being tackled and hopefully ultimately dealt with, but what about society in general? What about the people on the street who are subjected to taunts from strangers? Will their lives get any better, or does some of that behaviour somehow come from sport?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've said it before, but I don't understand some people's hatred towards others, purely because of the colour of their skin. Or sexuality, political leaning, race or – dare I say it – choice of football team?

Also, I think it's great that the issue of racism in football (sport) is seemingly being tackled and hopefully ultimately dealt with, but what about society in general? What about the people on the street who are subjected to taunts from strangers? Will their lives get any better, or does some of that behaviour somehow come from sport?

I think it is the opposite way round. People are unhappy so to make themselves feel better, they think they are better than some other sections of society, whether it be skin tone, sexuality, not working etc.
This comes out when they are drunk and feel that sport gives them the right to abuse others, because they're not like me.
John Barnes said racism needs to be sorted out in society, not just football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's really quite distressing....we seem to be regressing back to the 70s.

Hopefully not, one of my most uncomfortable afternoons at a game, was the Hull City cup game in 1986 when we had eric young, terry connor and justin fashanu playing. Given the weather I opted to get a seat in the home stand, and for the entire game all I could hear were racist shouts everytime one of these players touched the ball, tackled a player or generally came anywhere near the ball or the stand. It was adults teaching their children to shout racist abuse at the players.

Unlike now (currently) it wasn't the odd idiot, it was virtually everyone in the stand

Thankfully we have progressed from those dark days, and we must not slip back towards those days again. The National Front or whatever the current far right group is must not be allowed to gain any foothold or acceptability

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think it is the opposite way round. People are unhappy so to make themselves feel better, they think they are better than some other sections of society, whether it be skin tone, sexuality, not working etc.
This comes out when they are drunk and feel that sport gives them the right to abuse others, because they're not like me.

OK, let me put it another way. I don't understand why people have to be such twats to others – whatever the reason behind it! Plenty of people dish it out when stone cold sober, too...

I agree with Barnes and I think the same about all types of discimination, but I don't think it will ever happen. For whatever reason, we – as a nation – seem to be getting more and more divided. That's not about to suddenly go away any time soon.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Hopefully not, one of my most uncomfortable afternoons at a game, was the Hull City cup game in 1986 when we had eric young, terry connor and justin fashanu playing. Given the weather I opted to get a seat in the home stand, and for the entire game all I could hear were racist shouts everytime one of these players touched the ball, tackled a player or generally came anywhere near the ball or the stand. It was adults teaching their children to shout racist abuse at the players.

Unlike now (currently) it wasn't the odd idiot, it was virtually everyone in the stand

Thankfully we have progressed from those dark days, and we must not slip back towards those days again. The National Front or whatever the current far right group is must not be allowed to gain any foothold or acceptability

Football Lads Association seems to be the latest one. Muslims seems to be their target now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So is it increasing again, or just being reported more ? Sad to say the far right are getting some sort of foothold - pretty prevalent on social media (and it's distressing to see the number of posts that get shared by people not realising what they're sharing). Definitely seems to be on the increase. As an aside my wife's best friend is Singaporean - she is quite used to being called 'Chinky B*tch' and suchlike (and worse) by youths around town (she's tiny, and as demure and inoffensive as anyone you'd ever meet, obviously - the comments are purely down to her appearance)

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I dislike people in general but I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where it's because of the colour of their skin.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

He's bang on as well.

It's a problem in football because it's a problem in society. Same with the homophobic nonsense we have to listen to home and away. I was in the pub with my mates before the Southampton game and a friend of a friend made some joke about having our backs to the wall in games and someone piped up with the classic "yeah well, it is Brighton HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". It's innocuous and 'bantz' or whatever but it's indicative of the issue with the issue being: it's still seen as OK to take the piss or be downright hateful towards people of other races, genders, sexuality, religion etc etc etc.

The 'other', basically.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Is racism in football really the massive problem it's being made out to be? Lead story on SSN / all over the papers, the usual suspects wheeled out to air their views. It's as if every football ground is full of baying racist mobs screaming constant abuse at BAME players, when in reality it is nothing like this (at least in my experience). Yes I acknowledge there have been some incidents this season (the guy shouting abuse at Raheem Sterling at Chelsea / the banana at the Emirates) beyond that I'm struggling to think of any others. It's a tiny percentage of spectators / incidents at matches and yet it's made out to be so much more. Football grounds have never in the history of the game been such pleasant environments to watch a match and yet they are portrayed as being hotbeds of racism. In 8 years of attending virtually every match at the Amex I haven't heard anything remotely racist.

As for 'kick it out' well they would say that, they are hardly going to say 'there is no more racism / homophobia' in football are they when no doubt many of them earning a nice living out of it. Probably get pulled to pieces as does anyone who dares to not go along with the 'racism in football is out of control' line.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So is it increasing again, or just being reported more ? Sad to say the far right are getting some sort of foothold - pretty prevalent on social media (and it's distressing to see the number of posts that get shared by people not realising what they're sharing). Definitely seems to be on the increase. As an aside my wife's best friend is Singaporean - she is quite used to being called 'Chinky B*tch' and suchlike (and worse) by youths around town (she's tiny, and as demure and inoffensive as anyone you'd ever meet, obviously - the comments are purely down to her appearance)

A double whammy criticising her culture and her sex.
Big guys picking on a little (literally woman)

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
A double whammy criticising her culture and her sex.
Big guys picking on a little (literally woman)

I back any efforts to reduce racism except for walking off the pitch, when i have paid for a seat then the match is called off then it is a complete waste of time and money for spectators,i can remember when i was a lot younger the response Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never break me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He's bang on as well.

It's a problem in football because it's a problem in society. Same with the homophobic nonsense we have to listen to home and away. I was in the pub with my mates before the Southampton game and a friend of a friend made some joke about having our backs to the wall in games and someone piped up with the classic "yeah well, it is Brighton HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". It's innocuous and 'bantz' or whatever but it's indicative of the issue with the issue being: it's still seen as OK to take the piss or be downright hateful towards people of other races, genders, sexuality, religion etc etc etc.

The 'other', basically.

To be fair the gay banter you mentioned is very Carry On. It would be more odd not to add the punchline in this instance.

It could get to the point where we ban people like Graham Norton from being too camp in his humour and mannerisms because gays find the stereotype too offensive. There is no such thing as lighthearted racist humour though.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Is racism in football really the massive problem it's being made out to be? Lead story on SSN / all over the papers, the usual suspects wheeled out to air their views. It's as if every football ground is full of baying racist mobs screaming constant abuse at BAME players, when in reality it is nothing like this (at least in my experience). Yes I acknowledge there have been some incidents this season (the guy shouting abuse at Raheem Sterling at Chelsea / the banana at the Emirates) beyond that I'm struggling to think of any others. It's a tiny percentage of spectators / incidents at matches and yet it's made out to be so much more. Football grounds have never in the history of the game been such pleasant environments to watch a match and yet they are portrayed as being hotbeds of racism. In 8 years of attending virtually every match at the Amex I haven't heard anything remotely racist.

As for 'kick it out' well they would say that, they are hardly going to say 'there is no more racism / homophobia' in football are they when no doubt many of them earning a nice living out of it. Probably get pulled to pieces as does anyone who dares to not go along with the 'racism in football is out of control' line.

Pretty much this, you'll get lambasted for saying it though.

Then there was the massive deal they made of the abuse of Sterling at Montenegro. I mean **** me, racists in old Yugoslavia? Who'd have known... I think that one might be a little outside our purview to fix.

Just keep our own house in order, which I think we are largely succeeding at doing. Like you, I have been going to albion games home and away for over 20 years and have heard plenty of casual homophobia and misogyny, but zero racism.

Incidents still happen of course, but they are clearly isolated and it's not the pandemic the media would have you believing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here