Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone else miss the days when we were crap?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Or is it just me?

Obviously it's amazing being in the Premier League and I honestly never thought I'd see the day when we were, but there's some masochistic sentiment in me that misses us getting excited over a 100k player or someone on a free from a first division club. The Goldstone was falling apart but it was our home, Withdean gave us a sense of purpose during the long fight for Falmer and now.... now we are up with the big boys, dropping 17 million quid on players and some fans want the manager sacked for not taking sexy enough throw-ins.

It's all great but I must say I miss us being shite.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What like 2 weeks ago?

Ahhhhh those were the halcyon days

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have been crap mostly over the last few months and no I don’t like it :lolol:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I miss signing people like Nathan Elder and saying defiantly in the pub "I think he's the next Zamora"

I once claimed Steve Melton would play for England....

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I don't miss us being crap but like you i do find the incessant whinging from new supporters ****ing irritating. Yeah we've been a bit poor in 2019 but look at the bloody context

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There's a bit of relativity in this question for me; we ARE still crap in PL terms - though obviously much better in absolute terms compared with when we were in L1/2. This situation suits me just fine - all the while there are three teams who are a bit more crap.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not "crap" - no.

But the days where we weren't just a money making machine and the club embraced us as fans / supporters and not customers - yes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I miss signing people like Nathan Elder and saying defiantly in the pub "I think he's the next Zamora"

Lorenzo Pinamonte.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Its a totally different, I get my football kicks for watching Bostik league teams, I get my premier league experience from watching my boyhood football team. Sadly one I really enjoy all the time, the other is mostly a chore but as I have been doing it since 1972 I sort of have to carry on till the end.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I miss being able to get to home matches easily and cheaply.
I miss not being able to take an extra mate at the last minute and sit/stand with them.
I miss not having affordable memorabilia being sold out of a back room by St Peters Church rather than the expensive tat we are offered now.

Premier League is the place to be but it can get boring JUST being a number and having my last few coppers prised from my grasp by PB.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
there was a certain kudos associated with supporting a lower league team that i always loved, especially when i moved to another part of the country. It helped me forge an identity for myself in my new workplace. I'm still known as being 'the Brighton fan' after 20+ years in this part of the world.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I don't miss the bad football or stress of relegation threats and off field stuff.

But I did really enjoy the home atmosphere in the North at the Goldstone, and away days without the faff that we get now. Felt more like a proper road trip back then, but maybe it's because I was younger.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I miss the lower league awaydays.
Just going with mates and paying on the gate, with no real plans for the day, just getting up and going to an away game if I felt like it.

These days too much to worry about.
Not really keen on not knowing if a game may be moved for TV etc or if there is railway engineering works that weekend.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017

I remember so clearly have a drunken discussion with my uncle where we thoughts that Stuart Myall would be up there with the likes of Horton, Case etc. Too much red wine me thinks!

I don't miss those days thought I look back nostalgically. Its was being so crap for so long that makes the present so special.

jamie (not that one)

May 3, 2012
Valencia
I don't miss the bad football or stress of relegation threats and off field stuff.

But I did really enjoy the home atmosphere in the North at the Goldstone, and away days without the faff that we get now. Felt more like a proper road trip back then, but maybe it's because I was younger.

And it used to cost 3 quid or something.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Might as well enjoy the Premier League experience while it lasts as the chances are at some point we'll get relegated, and it might take many years to climb back. And we could even have a stint in League 1 at some point – who knows?

Supporting Brighton has always been about highs and lows, in four different divisions and in four different "home" grounds. We just happen to be near the top of an upward curve at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here