Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon - 10th Year !! šŸƒ*ā™‚ļø

On Sunday there will be thousands partaking in the 26.2 mile race, other running events associated with the day & a cycle race.

As someone who has crazily run all previous 9 Brighton Marathonā€™s I cant quite believe where that time has flown by! Look out for the silver numbers - there will be 102 of us who are running our 10th Brighton Marathon.

So good folk of NSC - are you getting involved with the event this year or staying well clear?

The weather gods are looking favourable to us once again. Indeed we have never had poor weather for this event. The crowds are some of the best I have ever experienced & boy have I seen some marathons - this will be my 201st. After London, Brighton is the best in my opinion - despite Shoreham Docks at 21 miles!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Enjoy the day [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] and everyone else. Will be my 6th one. Ran for the Martlets Hospice the first time and once again this year. Each year it coincides with the anniversary of my Mum seeing out her last days under their wonderful care in 2011.
Raised Ā£900 this year thanks to a NSC organised pub quiz and generous donations. ļæ½ļæ½

Main purpose is to beat my brother who will be a DNS again and to crawl over the line in front of [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and see of the emerging talent of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who has raised around Ā£10000 for The Martlet's running endless miles over the years.
Shout hello on the day Iā€™ll be wearing a very dodgy Martlet's vest with knocky written on it over a long sleeved black shirt .

I donā€™t want your money but the Martlets do and theyā€™ll be out and about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Four weekends for me now. Two BM10Ks, my first in 2015 being the longest run I'd ever done, the second last year because I was too injured for the marathon and dropped a distance. Managed the full thing in 2016 in the really annoying time of 4:00:06 and am in the full shebang on Sunday (guess what my desired time is? :lol:)

I am the only runner representing REMF this year. Will be in a white running shirt with the REMF Seagull badge on, the blue home shorts from last year, white socks and electric blue trainers :albion:

Give me a cheer and a jelly baby - I'll bloody need it :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Enjoy the day [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] and everyone else. Will be my 6th one. Ran for the Martlets Hospice the first time and once again this year. Each year it coincides with the anniversary of my Mum seeing out her last days under their wonderful care in 2011.
Raised Ā£900 this year thanks to a NSC organised pub quiz and generous donations. ļæ½ļæ½

Main purpose is to beat my brother who will be a DNS again and to crawl over the line in front of [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and see of the emerging talent of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who has raised around Ā£10000 for The Martlet's running endless miles over the years.
Shout hello on the day Iā€™ll be wearing a very dodgy Martlet's vest with knocky written on it over a long sleeved black shirt .

I donā€™t want your money but the Martlets do and theyā€™ll be out and about.

I see we were both posting at the same time. Good luck mate and may the best bald bloke win. See you at the exhibition.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yep, we will be there - not running I hasten to add, but moving around the course, banging a drum and handing out slices of orange and jelly babies.

Good Luck to everyone.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Ran the Brighton Marathon last year for first time, and loved it. Not doing it this year as I got a place for London marathon in a couple of weeks time, but Iā€™ll be doing the BM10k on Sunday and will be hanging around afterwards to soak up the atmosphere and watch the real runners (including the NSC crew) come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I hope everyone competing gets to finish and doesn't have the heartache of an injury and that they achieve their personal goals for the day.

The day does seem to be getting bigger and bigger with the roads now closed from 5.30am.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hope everyone competing gets to finish and doesn't have the heartache of an injury and that they achieve their personal goals for the day.

The day does seem to be getting bigger and bigger with the roads now closed from 5.30am.

But that's not possible Brighton is a tourist destination unlike Paris, Madrid, New York, Brussels, London, Barcelona, it MUST have open roads.

As you were have a good safe run everybody, raise lots of cash and most importantly enjoy yourselves.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Will b e my 2nd Brighton Marathon on Sunday, my first was 2 years ago and it didn't go to plan - picked up injury early on and struggled with the heat. Last year I ran the 10k which was great fun. Well up for Sunday, ran my second marathon in early December, and my third last month in Barcelona. Will be trying for a sub 4 hours for the first time. Running for Cancer Research. Good luck everyone running and watching, hope we all have a good day.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sunday will be my 3rd Brighton Marathon with a BM10K thrown in for good measure. Iā€™m not best prepared this year. Itā€™s been tough getting in the necessary miles and Iā€™ve had an extreme taper to deal with this week: not running at all as Iā€™ve been full of cold. Seems it will just clear up in the nick of time. All I ever want to do is get around the course. Under five hours would be nice but itā€™s not the end of the world if I donā€™t beat it. For me itā€™s always been about enjoying the occasion and the city. My annual excuse for a couple of nights in my favourite place.

Best of luck all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not running Sunday, but hope to get down to the Southwick end of the 'Road to Hell' and cheer some people on as they approach the long finishing stretch.

I've run Brighton four times (gonna give it another crack next year), but I'm afraid there's no way I'd class it second best (or first). For support, maybe, but not the actual route. Great occasion though ā€“ good luck to the NSC crew and anyone else taking it on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

But that's not possible Brighton is a tourist destination unlike Paris, Madrid, New York, Brussels, London, Barcelona, it MUST have open roads.

As you were have a good safe run everybody, raise lots of cash and most importantly enjoy yourselves.

Early because of those bloody cyclists :wink:

Bit short for you I would have thought Stat, otherwise would you have been tempted by the ride?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Early because of those bloody cyclists :wink:

Bit short for you I would have thought Stat, otherwise would you have been tempted by the ride?

So short I could run it.

Sure all I'd need is new ankles, knees, shins, lungs a new waistline and 30 years knocked off my age, but other than that I see no reason why I couldn't do it in under 3 hours.

Once again, enjoy the run everybody.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sunday will be my 3rd Brighton Marathon with a BM10K thrown in for good measure. Iā€™m not best prepared this year. Itā€™s been tough getting in the necessary miles and Iā€™ve had an extreme taper to deal with this week: not running at all as Iā€™ve been full of cold. Seems it will just clear up in the nick of time. All I ever want to do is get around the course. Under five hours would be nice but itā€™s not the end of the world if I donā€™t beat it. For me itā€™s always been about enjoying the occasion and the city. My annual excuse for a couple of nights in my favourite place.

Best of luck all.

That's how I feel about the10k also... :jester:

Seriously though, having entered the 10k in a moment of madness to raise funds for children like my brave and beautiful three year old twin great-nephews who are both battling childhood leukemia, I have nothing but the utmost respect for anybody running a marathon. Especially in a bloody rhino suit! :bowdown:

Good luck on sunday everyone

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I have nothing but the utmost respect for anybody running a marathon. Especially in a bloody rhino suit!

No rhino suit this year. Just good old running garb featuring the BHAFC navy training top. Always good for a few cries of "Seagulls" along the way.

The rhino might well be putting in an appearance in 2020 though. I'm definitely going to sign up for next year's race while I'm at the expo. The thing is I'm now in training for September 2020, as I'll shortly be paying the deposit for this piece of fundraising lunacy...

140 miles in 5 days across a chunk of Kenya, finishing on the Equator, to raise funds for the rangers that do so much to protect our wildlife.

Eek :wozza:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Back for my 2nd BM10k after competing last year. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience of running on 'home' roads and made it much more enjoyable.

Finished in a time of 1:00:14 last year....back to knock those 14 pesky seconds off (well actually 15 seconds to get under the magical 1hr).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here