Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Children's names.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
No kids - 3 cats: Ed, Floyd and Tizia. 1 dog: Gaspode (who Mrs Southcoastowl insists on calling "Bunny"!!!)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’m currently preparing to go round this particular circuit for a second time. I’ve opened negotiations with the good lady Doctor her indoors about names: for middle names I’m promoting “Google”, “Amazon”, and “Microsoft” in an attempt to get round passing off laws. It worked for Albert Edward Hall and his orchestra, so it might for my offspring too.

The suggestion has not been met with unconditional approval despite me reiterating that they’re “only middle names”.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, I've been concerned recently about being the last Trevor. I've known a few and there a few famous ones. Almost none younger than me though (I'm 52) - only one I've found is Busta Rhymes. The worry is that as an old man I'll have a name that identifies as such like Agnes or Bert.

So my message is go classic or go unique

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My first landlord in Brighton had a best mate who was a Pink Floyd roadie. Named his baby daughter Parody Tralala. Also, around the same time, the Argus reported that Brighton Registrar's Office had refused to register a couple's newborn as Beelzebub.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva :whistle:

I have an old friend whose wife, after naming his two daughters, told my friend that he was going to have to name their newly born son. When he said he had no idea, his wife said 'I knew you would say that' and handed him a book of boys names.

His son is called Aaron - true story

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My generation (I'm early 30's) are certainly naming their children typically names of their grandparents generation/war generation/royal themed.

Currently Charlie/George/Henry/Archie/Alfie/Arthur etc etc are seemingly very popular for boys in my circle of friends.

Our daughter's name and it is again quite old fashioned and has suddenly become very popular in recent years.

I do wonder whether my daughter's generation will name their kids after their grandparents. Loads of Baby Daves, Baby Geoffs, Baby Janets, Baby Barry, Baby Ian :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
27 & 24 years ago we came up with Charlotte Lucy and Megan Katie - seem to be timeless?

The observant among you will note that both have subsequently become a "Royal" name with Princess Charlotte and Meghan Markel - not sure if that's necessarily a good thing or bad ...

We call them Charley & Megs

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
When I went to register my oldest (the Mrs trusted me to this on my own), I asked if there was anything I couldn’t name him. Response was nearly anything except sweat words and I would be challenged on Jesus if not of Hispanic descent. We had a chat about this and the register said when she started in the 70s the main registrar in Crawley would give any aspiring parents who moved very far from Mark, Mathew, Luke or John (or female equivalents) such a talking too and advised to think again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When I went to register my oldest (the Mrs trusted me to this on my own), I asked if there was anything I couldn’t name him. Response was nearly anything except sweat words and I would be challenged on Jesus if not of Hispanic descent. We had a chat about this and the register said when she started in the 70s the main registrar in Crawley would give any aspiring parents who moved very far from Mark, Mathew, Luke or John (or female equivalents) such a talking too and advised to think again.

My brother-in-law 40 years agoish went go register the birth of his son under instructions for his wife to register it as Rupert.

He came away having registered it as William. I think I might have done the same, or argued against Rupert in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here