Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Beware - another email scam (TV licence fee DD)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dear all,

Just to warn you of another scam out there. I just received this email from postmaster@insightbase.com. Just to get a boring bit of domestic admin out of the way, I almost fell for it and was about to click on the link to set up a DD. But then I checked ... it's complete bollocks, just another attempt at a fraud.

"We're sorry to let you know that the TV License could not be automatically renewed.

Something's gone wrong with your payments.
As we couldn't take the latest payment from your bank account, this amount will also need to be paid when you set up your new Direct Debit.
Remember, if you don't keep up with your payments, we may be forced to cancel your license or pass your details to a debt collection agency.
To change your payment method, have a look at all your options.
So, all you need to do is make sure there's enough money in your account.
Or , if you prefer to pay the missed amount now, you can sign in online and pay using your debit or credit card.
While you're signed in, please make sure we have your correct bank details.

Setup your new direct debit"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Always check the email address.

Only make changes through the organisations site itself.

I do worry for older folk who may be less savy though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes seen that a few times...anything now in my mail box that purports to be this sort of thing, Apple purchases are another thing, immediately gets binned.

Don't even open them up now.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
A few months ago I got a string of blackmail emails from someone/some people who'd successfully broken into my email account after obtaining my login credentials from some previously hacked website. Quite scary at the time, but I cautiously ignored them and reported the messages. Nothing bad came of it but I do feel for people who are easily misled and can be duped into handing over hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

TV Licensing, HMRC, Amazon, PayPal... I've had phishing emails from all of them. Some much more realistic than others, with many managing to fool the spam algorithms and reach my inbox.

Top tip: hard as this might be in a practical sense, always use a different password for each website you use (at least, for each site which you give personal details to). Also use a secondary or decoy email address, for newsletters and stuff to be sent to when you sign up for a product, subscription or service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here