Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England women v New Zealand at the Amex, June 1

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I cant believe they could get a full house for a women's friendly football match. Talksport even had full commentary for the match as well, which I then changed channels.

I am not sexist by the way, but maybe the times are a changing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just back.

Positives (and there were lots):

Great day out with friends and family. Managed to take my daughter and my friend's wife with her daughter and meet a few others. Shorter beer queues before and after and saw a few friendly Albion Roar faces afterwards. Different atmosphere, a bit like when I used to go to the old Wembley with my team when I was a teenager to see England Schoolboys. Not one for PL games but the girls loved the clackers and clapping along at corners Cheap tickets. Sunshine. A right laugh.

Negatives (and there were only two but they were big-ish)
Firsly lack of travel included with ticket. Dear God, having experienced that I thank the stars that this has been included with Brighton home tickets from the start of the Amex. Huge queues at Portslade to get a train ticket and even longer ones by the looks of things at Brighton. And, of course, all the barriers were open and not one person checked the tickets. Could have bunked it but I'm not 18.

Secondly, as I suspected, the standard is somewhere between County League and REMF games, only slower. Now, I watch the REMF game, but that's once a year. I've watched a lot of Non League and County League too but not so much since we've had a family. I have to pick and choose my games and I choose the Premier League. To be fair, having worried about the keeping, I thought New Zealand's keeper was easily the best player on the pitch. Unfortunately England's gifted them their goal with a routine, basic error. Some of the passing was terrible as well but the thing that really ground my gears was the corners. We had 17 and did not look like scoring from a single one of them. At least a quarter didn't even beat the first player.

But, having said all that, I'd defintely go to the Amex again for a women's game, England or Brighton, if the kids wanted to. It was a lovely day out in the sunshine. But it's reinforcd my feeling that a slog up to Crawley won't be on my regular list of things to do.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Attendance was 20,000.
What was all this talk yesterday about expecting to sell 30,000???

Might be wrong but I assume the capacity was capped at 21k, so it was a (near) sellout?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Might be wrong but I assume the capacity was capped at 21k, so it was a (near) sellout?

30000.png

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can't read much into the performance or result, the final game before a World Cup is always a bit of a training match. I made the mistake of going to England v Saudi Arabia at Wembley just before World Cup 98, and it was the most GOD-awful 0-0 I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Players just going through the motions concentrating on not getting crocked, it was a complete waste of time and money.

They'll be alright when the real stuff starts.

:thumbsup:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just back.

Positives (and there were lots):

Great day out with friends and family. Managed to take my daughter and my friend's wife with her daughter and meet a few others. Shorter beer queues before and after and saw a few friendly Albion Roar faces afterwards. Different atmosphere, a bit like when I used to go to the old Wembley with my team when I was a teenager to see England Schoolboys. Not one for PL games but the girls loved the clackers and clapping along at corners Cheap tickets. Sunshine. A right laugh.

Negatives (and there were only two but they were big-ish)
Firsly lack of travel included with ticket. Dear God, having experienced that I thank the stars that this has been included with Brighton home tickets from the start of the Amex. Huge queues at Portslade to get a train ticket and even longer ones by the looks of things at Brighton. And, of course, all the barriers were open and not one person checked the tickets. Could have bunked it but I'm not 18.

Secondly, as I suspected, the standard is somewhere between County League and REMF games, only slower. Now, I watch the REMF game, but that's once a year. I've watched a lot of Non League and County League too but not so much since we've had a family. I have to pick and choose my games and I choose the Premier League. To be fair, having worried about the keeping, I thought New Zealand's keeper was easily the best player on the pitch. Unfortunately England's gifted them their goal with a routine, basic error. Some of the passing was terrible as well but the thing that really ground my gears was the corners. We had 17 and did not look like scoring from a single one of them. At least a quarter didn't even beat the first player.

But, having said all that, I'd defintely go to the Amex again for a women's game, England or Brighton, if the kids wanted to. It was a lovely day out in the sunshine. But it's reinforcd my feeling that a slog up to Crawley won't be on my regular list of things to do.

Where you at Portslade Station at apx 1140 with your group?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well, I gave it a go.

First and very definitely the last time

Absolutely shocking

Had a cracking time myself... some good football played and the Amex hosting a game live on the beeb as a warm up to the World Cup. Kids loved it - football fix in the close season... Free England flags and a lot of respect for our club as a great host... what’s not to like...!?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
With the winner scored by Kayleigh Green who plays for Brighton Women! :thumbsup:

A good and brave header as she could have got clattered. :clap2:

So how come small nations that don't even qualify for the World Cup can beat NZ and we have Phil Neville who 'experiments'? Worrying. I don't think I'll even watch our games as we get tonked by France or the United States in the end.

Copa America - yes. Weekend games and the midweek semi-finals.

boik

A good and brave header as she could have got clattered. :clap2:

So how come small nations that don't even qualify for the World Cup can beat NZ and we have Phil Neville who 'experiments'? Worrying. I don't think I'll even watch our games as we get tonked by France or the United States in the end.

Copa America - yes. Weekend games and the midweek semi-finals.

Surely now is the only time to experiment - not during the competition. You mean the same France we beat 4-1 last time? And the US that we drew 2-2 with? It's all very well having "opinions", but there are facts as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here