Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Having a pet put down and the guilt that follows

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
i had to get proper pissed to bury our labrador in the front garden , we have to bury them deep here to stop foxes digging them up so i dug a hole about 6 ft ( sand , easy digging) deep in our front garden under the jacaranda tree where he used to sit , we did it in the dark , as a family , me mrs , 2 kids, all with head lights on ....as we were putting him in the hole wrapped up in a blanket with a beanie on his head to keep the dirt out of his eyes , the ranger turned up because some nosy fecker had reported suspicious activity .

well our sombre mood soon turned to antiestablishmentary rhetoric as we explained to the nosey twatt that we were burying our dog , he tried to tell us we weren't allowed to , he got told to FRO and it galvanised our family unit in a most unusual way , we often talk about it as we went from really gutted to lose him to being really angry because some twatt in a uniform was coming into our garden and telling us what we could and couldn't do , thankfully both my kids respect but do not fear authority now.
clyde is still there and he now has a lovely spread of arum lillies marking his resting place .
i will get another dog when i retire but hopefully it will outlive me because they die its horrible ......xx
Move to Wales I've already got a spot in mind for the hubby,as your actually allowed to bury your by marriage partner in the garden,my last Dog now lays in peace beside her favourite Pine tree,I often just wander out there and have a one way chat to her, it's lovely being able to do that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Move to Wales I've already got a spot in mind for the hubby,as your actually allowed to bury your by marriage partner in the garden,my last Dog now lays in peace beside her favourite Pine tree,I often just wander out there and have a one way chat to her, it's lovely being able to do that.
a dog and 2 cats in our garden ....i do say hello to them quietly every now and then ...:smile:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This thread.

I always read it with tears in my eyes.

One of the cats we’ve had over the years was Smokie, a beautiful grey boy. We rescued him from a lady who had got too ill look after him properly.

A couple of houses away had a fishpond with large Koi Carp. Smokie would sit and watch them, nothing else, just watch.
The man of the couple had had a go at me cos of Smokie, said his fish cost stupid money to buy and he didn’t want them to be Smokies dinner.
I said, he only watches them, had he ever seen Smokie try and catch any, he hadn’t and his Missus told Mrs LLF, the cat just sat there for hours when the old man was at work watching the fish.
Anyway, the husband got more and more obsessed with our cat , and would shout at him and scare him off whenever he saw him.

After about 3 months of this, Smokie came home one afternoon dragging his tail, feeling very sorry for himself, and, later we noticed he was leaking urine all the time.

We took him to the vet, who x-rayed him, and told us he had a broken spine, probably caused by being hit with a stick.
We had to have the poor cat put down.
I did confront the neighbour who denied hitting the cat, and unfortunately I had no proof , but, I knew he had.

The couple moved house about 6 months later, taking their fish with them. I did hear later that a heron had found a way through the cover on the pond and had several of the very expensive carp away.

I can confirm, I have never owned a Heron.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s better than having a chat with your hubby……… I’ve tried enough Frankie.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
This thread.

One of the cats we’ve had over the years was Smokie, a beautiful grey boy. We rescued him from a lady who had got too ill look after him properly.

A couple of houses away had a fishpond with large Koi Carp. Smokie would sit and watch them, nothing else, just watch.
The man of the couple had had a go at me cos of Smokie, said his fish cost stupid money to buy and he didn’t want them to be Smokies dinner.
I said, he only watches them, had he ever seen Smokie try and catch any, he hadn’t and his Missus told Mrs LLF, the cat just sat there for hours when the old man was at work watching the fish.
Anyway, the husband got more and more obsessed with our cat , and would shout at him and scare him off whenever he saw him.

After about 3 months of this, Smokie came home one afternoon dragging his tail, feeling very sorry for himself, and, later we noticed he was leaking urine all the time.

We took him to the vet, who x-rayed him, and told us he had a broken spine, probably caused by being hit with a stick.
I did confront the neighbour who denied hitting the cat, and unfortunately I had no proof , but, I knew he had.

The couple moved house about 6 months later, taking their fish with them. I did hear later that a heron had found a way through the cover on the pond and had several of the very expensive carp away.

That's awful. I'd have had to try very hard not to hit the bloke with a massive stick.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've got a 10 yo rescue cat, love her to bits. I'll be gutted when she goes as she is family. I'll bury her outside myself when the time comes. In my humble opinion if you have a pet you have to accept that they will go before you and if that's too painful then should you really have one? It's the way it needs to be (I don't agree with having a pet that you expect to out live you unless you've arranged further care). No offence to anyone, just my opinion, you can have another

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This thread.

Fkn hell, that neighbour was an evil cnt.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
..as we were putting him in the hole wrapped up in a blanket with a beanie on his head to keep the dirt out of his eyes ,
Ffs I hadn't planned on having tears in my eyes this evening, but that's just so hard hitting and lovely to a sensitive soul like me.

I've two cats, Coco and Kitty buried in the back garden and don't know how I'll feel if I have to move house anytime and leave them behind.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
a dog and 2 cats in our garden ....i do say hello to them quietly every now and then ...:smile:
I have a large tub on the patio with a beautiful Acer in it. There's the ashes of two horses, three dogs, two cats all surrounded by a ring of my late wife's ashes. When I walk past I get two nahs, three barks, two meows and moaned at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here