Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you expect our new signings to kick on next season?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Well according to @Gem Izquierdo will be having a knee op in the summer, so that would explain why he has only been a used sparingly.

I'm hoping next season the back 5 will stay together and grow to become even more compact, remember this season we've had basically two new players come in so defensively the communication/understanding hasn't been there like last season. So I'm expecting better next season (if we stay up).

Midfield will require a Kayal replacement and a new high quality defensive midfielder to challenge Stephens. Bissouma will get more starts as he gets better, hopefully Gross and

Attack will need a new Striker to replace Murray and a replacement for Locadia (can't see him staying on), hopefully Andone can stay injury free
and be challenging the (new) striker to start.

Hoping Ali J will make the right wing his own and show us what he's made of!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I am going to be optimistic and say they will. The key is being fit for the pre-season and being ready to start from he get-go. Andone, Locadia and Ali J all had stuttering starts to their Albion careers with long waits to get going. In particular with Locadia and Ali J coming from the Eredivisie a period of adjustment to the pace, physicality and skill of the EPL was going to be inevitable.

With regard to Locadia I think he is carving out a role for himself out wide with the opportunity to come in a support the lone striker, I'd like to see him start Saturday.

Should we survive however, I do expect competition to be drafted in for all of the incumbents bar Bernardo.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think Bernardo's end product going forward is still below a top six team and for that reason we'll get a least 1 more season out of him. Montoya is coming to terms with the division but needs competition which I would like to see coming from an home grown player, even if we have to buy someone promising from a lower division. I think Knocky might get moved on, not sure he is consistent enough at this level. Ali J needs to improve but has shown signs of doing so of late and will stay IMO. Andone will be better for a pre season and shows signs of PL ability. Locadia has not really trained on in his 18 months and I suspect if we can get our money back or close to he'll be moved on too.

Its probably best for both parties for Kayal and Hemed to leave as it frees up both wages and funds for upgrades.

All in all quite a turnover of the squad is likely IMO

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
This is all crystal balls really.We can only guess who might arrive and who might depart,when you throw in injuries the water gets muddier.However if we stay up(I think we will)the reality is the current players have left us flirting with relegation and therefore an overhaul will be required.Reading some of the threads I do feel our players are overated by some posters and are not as good as some would claim.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guarantee any players and that do 'kick on' still won't kick on enough for plenty of 'supporters' on here.

I expect Murray to kick on, next season, after all he'll still be playing every game

Not quite answering the question I'm quite excited by the Argie Jocko.
He seems to have the potential to be the player who links the wingers with the striker.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
I guarantee any players and that do 'kick on' still won't kick on enough for plenty of 'supporters' on here.

I expect Murray to kick on, next season, after all he'll still be playing every game

He seems to have the potential to be the player who links the wingers with the striker.

I hope you are right about Argie Jocko,but that word potential scares me.I've lost count over the years how many signings we made with potential only to amount to nought.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Our weakness is in scoring goals and specifically creative goalscoring opportunities. Someone in the mould of Maddison or Brooks is exactly what we need, we have really missed Gross this season. Teams like Watford, Bornemouth & Leicester don't have a significantly better squad than ours but 2 or 3 goal threats more than us which over the course of a season give them an advantage

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Negative about our support again [emoji47]

I think AJ will benefit from a pre-season, and hopefully improve.

Montoya and Bernardo have already shown they are more than capable, so hopefully that will continue.

I appreciate you’re following the Argie-Jocko, but do you think he is PL ready?
Wonder if he’ll have a Bissouma type season.

A fit Gross and Izquierdo and (forwards aside), IMO we have the makings of an exciting squad.

Murray should be on the bench by that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have seen nothing from Ali J to suggest he'll ever make it at this level.
I'm not sold on Bissouma or Montoya at this level either.

But I hope that will change.

Bernardo is already quality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like what I've seen from Bissouma, Andone, Bernardo and Locadia.

Montoya is a decent defender but limited going forward - his crossing is abysmal.

The only worry is Jahanbaksh, especially as Izzy won't have any sort of pre-season if he has his op. Ali J doesn't have the ability to go past his full-back and is not especially quick either. In an ideal world I'd sell him back to Holland where his stock is still high.

With Murray likely to have a lot less game-time and Izquierdo on the bench I think we should abandon having two wide men and play two strikers instead. With a four-man midfield someone like Adam Lallana who can press, has great feet and an eye for goal could be a useful acquisition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Negative about our support again [emoji47]

I think AJ will benefit from a pre-season, and hopefully improve.

Montoya and Bernardo have already shown they are more than capable, so hopefully that will continue.

I appreciate you’re following the Argie-Jocko, but do you think he is PL ready?
Wonder if he’ll have a Bissouma type season.

A fit Gross and Izquierdo and (forwards aside), IMO we have the makings of an exciting squad.

Murray should be on the bench by that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 posts down might be the reason why!!

I have no idea about Jocko McArgieface.
But he appears to be a very quick exclusive #10, assuming he isn't played out of position he seems exciting.

Stumpy Tim

I suspect we will be in the market for a top quality box-to-box midfielder, such as Delaney. A replacement for Murray is also inevitable. Apart from that it will be a backup for Montoya and maybe Bernardo - wouldn’t surprise me if Bong went

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I like what I've seen from Bissouma, Andone, Bernardo and Locadia.

Montoya is a decent defender but limited going forward - his crossing is abysmal.

The only worry is Jahanbaksh, especially as Izzy won't have any sort of pre-season if he has his op. Ali J doesn't have the ability to go past his full-back and is not especially quick either. In an ideal world I'd sell him back to Holland where his stock is still high.

With Murray likely to have a lot less game-time and Izquierdo on the bench I think we should abandon having two wide men and play two strikers instead. With a four-man midfield someone like Adam Lallana who can press, has great feet and an eye for goal could be a useful acquisition.

I also thought Montoya's crossing was pants , then i saw his crossing stats ! apparently he's very accurate but there's nobody there to meet the crosses , which pretty much sums up what we all know .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Am I missing something ? If Izqueirdo needs a knee op, then why don't they get cracking on it NOW ? Why wait till the summer ? If we get it over with then at least then there's a chance he can get a pre-season, or most of it under his belt and can hit the ground running come August. I don't see the point of delaying it, being as (a) if he plays this season then there's a chance he could do further damage to it, and (b) we have plenty of other wide options anyway. I'm sure we can make do without him for the last few games, in the long run it'd shirley work out better.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here