Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you expect our new signings to kick on next season?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I also thought Montoya's crossing was pants , then i saw his crossing stats ! apparently he's very accurate but there's nobody there to meet the crosses , which pretty much sums up what we all know .

Yep, saw the same stat. Certainly in home games, where I sit kind of level with where decent crosses should be being met, there is often a bloody big gaping hole as Muzza is either too slow to get there, or out of position on the wing, and (and this is the biggest issue for me) NONE of our midfielders EVER seem to make bursts into forward positions to support the front three - they don't get on to the crosses, they're not there to take a lay-off after Muzza has held it up and they're rarely there to pick up scraps coming out of the box.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, saw the same stat. Certainly in home games, where I sit kind of level with where decent crosses should be being met, there is often a bloody big gaping hole as Muzza is either too slow to get there, or out of position on the wing, and (and this is the biggest issue for me) NONE of our midfielders EVER seem to make bursts into forward positions to support the front three - they don't get on to the crosses, they're not there to take a lay-off after Muzza has held it up and they're rarely there to pick up scraps coming out of the box.

They're not allowed.

Bissouma likes a burst forward with the ball at least, but sadly as soon as he draws his foot back, everyone behind the goal starts flinching.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Montoya is a decent defender but limited going forward - his crossing is abysmal.

I also thought Montoya's crossing was pants , then i saw his crossing stats ! apparently he's very accurate but there's nobody there to meet the crosses , which pretty much sums up what we all know .

Yep, saw the same stat. Certainly in home games, where I sit kind of level with where decent crosses should be being met, there is often a bloody big gaping hole as Muzza is either too slow to get there, or out of position on the wing, and (and this is the biggest issue for me) NONE of our midfielders EVER seem to make bursts into forward positions to support the front three - they don't get on to the crosses.

Trust your eyes, and ignore what is very patently a misleading statistic. 30,000 people know that Montoya's crossing is average at best. If a stat says his % of accurate crosses is high, then it must be including every tapped sideways pass as a 'cross', because at least half of his actual deliveries into the box hit the first defender or sail too long.

And surely the explanation you offer (that the crosses come in but there is nobody on the end of them) is NOT the answer to the conundrum? A cross to a space with no team-mate anywhere near it, is by definition, NOT an accurate one!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trust your eyes, and ignore what is very patently a misleading statistic. 30,000 people know that Montoya's crossing is average at best. If a stat says his % of accurate crosses is high, then it must be including every tapped sideways pass as a 'cross', because at least half of his actual deliveries into the box hit the first defender or sail too long.

And surely the explanation you offer (that the crosses come in but there is nobody on the end of them) is NOT the answer to the conundrum? A cross to a space with no team-mate anywhere near it, is by definition, NOT an accurate one!

The crosses don't usually come in - we're often left with someone on the wing, with the ball, and no-one to aim at...................does my ****ing head in.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I hope so.

I think Bernardo is the only one who can say he's returned value for investment consistently over the season. Last year Ryan, Propper, Gross and Izquierdo all improved the team. This years signings have improved the squad but not the team. We need greater impact and consistency from all of them next year. That would allow us to make two or three marquee signings over the summer rather than the 8 or so we have each of the past two years.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Bissouma will really shine when we get an upgraded partner for Propper IMO.

Andone should clearly be first choice striker next season, the bloke is class.

Montoya and Bernardo have both had good first seasons and expect them to kick on further with more time getting accustomed to the league and our style.

Agree entirely with that !

No matter how brilliant he has been, GM surely cannot be seriously considered as a starter next season but, of course I suppose that depends upon where we are next season !

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I hope so.

I think Bernardo is the only one who can say he's returned value for investment consistently over the season. Last year Ryan, Propper, Gross and Izquierdo all improved the team. This years signings have improved the squad but not the team. We need greater impact and consistency from all of them next year. That would allow us to make two or three marquee signings over the summer rather than the 8 or so we have each of the past two years.

I agree on this season's additions but, of course, account needs to be taken of both opportunities afforded and injuries suffered !

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I agree on this season's additions but, of course, account needs to be taken of both opportunities afforded and injuries suffered !

Yep, that's why I'm hoping for improvement from them next year. I think we'll have the basis of a solid squad with a number of players capable of playing each position so this summer we can buy the two or three quality players that can (again hopefully) lift us into mid table obscurity.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well according to @Gem Izquierdo will be having a knee op in the summer

Am I missing something ? If Izqueirdo needs a knee op, then why don't they get cracking on it NOW ?

Gem's source for team selections has been pretty much spot on so i'm reluctant to doubt it, but agreed this tip sounds curious as it will mean he's going to end up having a knee op two summers in a row..
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...aith-injury-torture-and-why-he-keeps-smiling/

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I genuinely think that a top 6 team will test our resolve on hanging onto Bernardo. You could argue that he would be an upgrade on the current options Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea currently have. I also think bigger teams will be looking at Dunk and Duffy also with the added bonus that they would increase their HGP requirements.

I think Bossuma is the player most likley to attract attention

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't doubt it either. I just don't understand it, it makes no sense to me to delay the op till the summer, if indeed thats whats happening.

If all the speculation happens to be true I'd hazard a guess Jose would already be under the knife if the team had 6 more points.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If all the speculation happens to be true I'd hazard a guess Jose would already be under the knife if the team had 6 more points.

Just seems counterproductive to risk him in the run-in when he could end up exacerbating the problem, plus I doubt he'd be anywhere near his best anyway while he's carrying this niggle, its bound to inhibit him.

I suppose they know what they're doing though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just seems counterproductive to risk him in the run-in when he could end up exacerbating the problem, plus I doubt he'd be anywhere near his best anyway while he's carrying this niggle, its bound to inhibit him.

Shane Duffy had an injury at end of last season and waited til close season to have an op. It does happen.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suspect we will be in the market for a top quality box-to-box midfielder, such as Delaney. A replacement for Murray is also inevitable. Apart from that it will be a backup for Montoya and maybe Bernardo - wouldn’t surprise me if Bong went

With another £110m in broadcasting income, with circa half of that spent in new transfer fees this summer, I think we’ll sign a RB, possibly 2 x attacking/creative CM’ers and a striker. Well, that’s my hope.

Our first team is crying out for improvements, we can’t keep being just better than three awful teams. Mainly in ball retention, speed and execution of the ‘transition’, and creating openings for our forwards. We need to impose ourself on more games, rather than simply chiselling out points here and there.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think @Stat probably has it right here. To speculate: Izquierdo is running on 80-90% capacity at present and will continue to do so until the op, yet he's arguably our best winger at 100% capacity. It's well worth waiting and using him if things become really problematic but, once survival looks secure, then is the time to operate on him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We need 3 class additions Midfield x2 and Striker x1. We need someone in Midfield who drives forward something that is currently missing to replace Gross who is too slow and a step up holding midfielder to replace Stephens. Striker needed to eventually replace Murray.
Locadia and Andone will get better. Ali not convinced. Bernardo is class, Montoya is industrious and Bissouma potential No10

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With another £110m in broadcasting income, with circa half of that spent in new transfer fees this summer, I think we’ll sign a RB, possibly 2 x attacking/creative CM’ers and a striker. Well, that’s my hope.

Our first team is crying out for improvements, we can’t keep being just better than three awful teams. Mainly in ball retention, speed and execution of the ‘transition’, and creating openings for our forwards. We need to impose ourself on more games, rather than simply chiselling out points here and there.

RB, DCM, ACM, striker, and perhaps a winger.
Given the young English talent out there, might a season-long loan for one of those (winger for preference) be on the cards?

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
As long as they don't get injured just as they look like they're getting up to speed, would imagine so...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here