Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you expect our new signings to kick on next season?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
“If” we stay up, and it’s all on our hands, a close season seems to be just as important as the season just gone! Who do you expect to make the necessary adjustments and kick on and make a name for themself?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Never know. Everyone thought Isquirdo would be a world beater this year but things happen.

Think we need better if we stay up

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
All of them. Plus a hopefully fit from the off Groß, Andone and Izquierdo together with maybe 2/3 new level up signings will see us with our best ever squad.

The challenge for me is having enough top quality home grown players in the squad at the right cost level.

I expect to be fully lambasted here based on the other threads but maybe we need someone like a Drinkwater to replace Dale? No doubting his abilities and he’s got to be sick of not playing ever and would be a serious upgrade and have something to prove.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Drinkwater though is probably on three times our maximum wage here.

Quite possibly and if we made an approach which was amenable to the player from a playing perspective and Chelsea from a financial perspective but he couldn’t agree terms then I’d question his motivation to play and wouldn’t want him.

Just throwing the home grown players rule out there as an issue for improving squad quality and how we could do it.

WhingForPresident

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bissouma will really shine when we get an upgraded partner for Propper IMO.

Andone should clearly be first choice striker next season, the bloke is class.

Montoya and Bernardo have both had good first seasons and expect them to kick on further with more time getting accustomed to the league and our style.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I genuinely think that a top 6 team will test our resolve on hanging onto Bernardo. You could argue that he would be an upgrade on the current options Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea currently have. I also think bigger teams will be looking at Dunk and Duffy also with the added bonus that they would increase their HGP requirements.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
From what I've heard the team spirit and togetherness has diminished a little, with one or two of recent acquisitions not always willing to mingle.

Let's hope this gets sorted too, in addition to performances improving.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I genuinely think that a top 6 team will test our resolve on hanging onto Bernardo. You could argue that he would be an upgrade on the current options Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea currently have. I also think bigger teams will be looking at Dunk and Duffy also with the added bonus that they would increase their HGP requirements.

I partly agree on that. Although it won't be Man United. They will revert to snobbery and go into Europe for a full back. Chelsea will lean towards Chillwell..

Man City would be the one I think would look at him but I don't think he has done enough yet to throw their hat into the ring on him. It might be a year down the line if Guardiola stays with them beyond that. The more I watch him the more he impresses me. He has a real desire to succeed.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Can't see us signing Premiership players inside our wage structure. If we're not looking in leagues like the Dutch one, then we have to move straight away for the best Championship or even League 1 players (possibly sending the later out on loan for a year). Throw a youngster into the side and it could galvenise the whole team.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I think a preseason of finely tuning the 4-3-3 (Obviously assuming we stay up, which I am confident about), then I think yes. Ali J has shown snippets of quality and plenty of times to cast doubt, but I think adapting to the new league in a 4-4-1-1 then all of a sudden 4-3-3 may have been detrimental. I know they're professionals who train almost daily, but the league is something else. Our squad needs familiarity.

What I do think, is we need another Stephens type player who can compete with him to ensure he doesn't become complacent. I'd like to see Propper more advanced with Stephens as the holding mid and Bissouma as the box to box. When in need, swap out Propper with a fully fit Gross in the playmaker role, we could see more adventurous play. My main concern is pace and creativity in the midfield.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My predictions on this season's intake....

Montoya - We will sign a Right Back, ostensibly to replace Bruno, but he will genuinely compete for and pretty soon displace Montoya
Bernardo - Will stay and continue to improve. Next year's player of the season
Bissouma - Will continue to impress fans more than the manager
Ali J - Won't ever definitively establish himself as first choice
Andone - Will continue to be an impressive bit part player, but we'll sign a target man who will feature more than him.
Locadia - (sort of counts as new) Will drop down the pecking order and be moved on

So pretty mixed

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I partly agree on that. Although it won't be Man United. They will revert to snobbery and go into Europe for a full back. Chelsea will lean towards Chillwell..

Man City would be the one I think would look at him but I don't think he has done enough yet to throw their hat into the ring on him. It might be a year down the line if Guardiola stays with them beyond that. The more I watch him the more he impresses me. He has a real desire to succeed.

Perhaps United will but with Bernardo they know he is already accustomed to the PL. Plus decent left backs are pretty rare. I would say his desire to succeed comes from his father who was a Brazilian international.
He really is the real deal and we need to enjoy his time with us as I think it will be relatively short lived.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Perhaps United will but with Bernardo they know he is already accustomed to the PL. Plus decent left backs are pretty rare. I would say his desire to succeed comes from his father who was a Brazilian international.
He really is the real deal and we need to enjoy his time with us as I think it will be relatively short lived.

However, as he's almost fresh off the boat and we know United have money to spend, we could easily slap a decent price tag on him and make a nice little profit.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

City are pretty set at LB with Mandy, Danilo and Zinchenko, although Pep does seem Hell bent on world domination so he might hoover Bernardo up just because he can.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
IF all our players play to their (apparent) potential AND we can fill a few gaps (Murray replacement, creative midfielder, back-up right back) then we'd have an exciting team. Unlikely to happen though as almost certainly there will be injuries and some just won't manage the step-up.

In terms of potential Andone, Jahanbksh Bissouma, Bernardo and Locadia are all very exciting prospects from what we've seen, but all still have a bit to prove. We already know what Groß. Solly, Knockaert and Izquierdo are capable of, but they need to be consistent and/or get back to full fitness.
Rest of the squad is solid I think.

Next season could be huge...or a real struggle. How's that for a prediction? I'll do brexit next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here