Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you expect our new signings to kick on next season?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Something’s got to dramatically improve in our midfield, we never control PL games or large passages of them, or create much.

I’m sure the club are looking at that.

Kayal, Gross, Propper and Bissouma may be admired by most of us, but none of them are producing the attacking goods.

Or, we stay the team that is generally outplayed.

Apologies. Upgrade on Stephens for me would be the first move. Bissouma developing better footballing intelligence, without losing his impudence and inventiveness, allowing Propper and Gross to do what they do best.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apologies. Upgrade on Stephens for me would be the first move. Bissouma developing better footballing intelligence, without losing his impudence and inventiveness, allowing Propper and Gross to do what they do best.

That midfield would not give us a CM ball player with pace, able to control games and instinctively create chances. It would be more of the same.

Even Stains have Ward-Prowse and Armstrong, Burnley have McNeil and Westwood, for example. Allrounders able to drive forward, create, or run rings around those trying to dispossess them of the ball.

I’m impressed with Bissouma, but at this stage he’s a wildcard, a maverick, who can still fit in next to a new creative ACM.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

I still can’t work out where Bissouma’s position is going to be.

I’d argue his best performances this season have been in games where he’s does a lot more sitting/shielding than attacking. Both Palace games as examples. Tempted to say he could be a DM who drives you up the pitch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I still can’t work out where Bissouma’s position is going to be.

I’d argue his best performances this season have been in games where he’s does a lot more sitting/shielding than attacking. Both Palace games as examples. Tempted to say he could be a DM who drives you up the pitch.

Isn’t he too indisiplined, far too inexperienced for that vital role?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That midfield would not give us a CM ball player with pace, able to control games and instinctively create chances. It would be more of the same.

Even Stains have Ward-Prowse and Armstrong, Burnley have McNeil and Westwood, for example. Allrounders able to drive forward, create, or run rings around those trying to dispossess them of the ball.

I’m impressed with Bissouma, but at this stage he’s a wildcard, a maverick, who can still fit in next to a new creative ACM.

You're neglecting the upgrade on Stephens.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

The fact he (Bissouma) continues to attempt to shoot every time he's 40 yds from goal suggests he's not easily 'coached'. Love his energy and enthusiasm but needs to play clever.

Jimmy Grimble

Well, yes and no. He was extremely disciplined when we beat Palace at home, his positional play was outstanding.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m surprised that people don’t think we need more reconstruction. Wembley was fun but a free hit really, we’ve been pretty dreadful most the season and aren’t creating enough chances (4 shots on target in last 3 games I think?). I’m not convinced about 4-5-1 (it’s not 4-3-3) and we lack pace - especially as we’re a side who even in the championship play on the break (though we used to do it much quicker). I don’t think Ali J is the answer and Locadia looks like a square peg in a round hole (he might actually be quite good in a true 4-3-3 or as second striker). I’m convinced Andone is a better baldock and would be better playing off a Murray-type.

A front two of Tammy Abraham and Andone would excite me - bit like Wilson and King at Bmuff. Someone like Ryan Sessegnon I think would kick on in a second season in the prem (and Fulham were good going forward, just can’t defend) and would add much needed pace on the transition. Also need a fast right sided player - Knocky too inconsistent and Ali too slow. Bissouma I think will kick on but I suspect ultimately in Stephens role. We need a box to box midfielder who scores goals. Should/could be Pröpper but he needs to start getting up the pitch and scoring. We can’t carry on playing 3 holding midfielders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m surprised that people don’t think we need more reconstruction. Wembley was fun but a free hit really, we’ve been pretty dreadful most the season and aren’t creating enough chances (4 shots on target in last 3 games I think?). I’m not convinced about 4-5-1 (it’s not 4-3-3) and we lack pace - especially as we’re a side who even in the championship play on the break (though we used to do it much quicker). I don’t think Ali J is the answer and Locadia looks like a square peg in a round hole (he might actually be quite good in a true 4-3-3 or as second striker). I’m convinced Andone is a better baldock and would be better playing off a Murray-type.

A front two of Tammy Abraham and Andone would excite me - bit like Wilson and King at Bmuff. Someone like Ryan Sessegnon I think would kick on in a second season in the prem (and Fulham were good going forward, just can’t defend) and would add much needed pace on the transition. Also need a fast right sided player - Knocky too inconsistent and Ali too slow. Bissouma I think will kick on but I suspect ultimately in Stephens role. We need a box to box midfielder who scores goals. Should/could be Pröpper but he needs to start getting up the pitch and scoring. We can’t carry on playing 3 holding midfielders.

We do need some reconstruction, we’ve been shite for much of this season.

The club/CH will be looking forward, to put us into contention in far more games, to give us creativity and more threat.

Hopefully they we’ll be moving on from the slow team and play, that leaves us very predictable and easily outplayed.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Stupid question perhaps, but what exactly is it that Propper does best? I don't think we've seen it, have we?

I think we need more energy and pace everywhere, especially in midfield. Good though Dunk and Duffy are in so many ways, our back four are too slow to defend high up, so our midfield and forwards are always too far from goal. Even our wide players (Izquierdo apart) are hardly going to worry fullbacks with pace. When players such as Andone do get forward, they look for support and the midfield is still plodding forward at a snail's pace. Gross can make up for lack of pace with speed of thought, but he's an exception.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fact he (Bissouma) continues to attempt to shoot every time he's 40 yds from goal suggests he's not easily 'coached'. Love his energy and enthusiasm but needs to play clever.

That really doesn't matter though does it?
There's no difference between hitting the woodwork or hitting row Z. :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stupid question perhaps, but what exactly is it that Propper does best? I don't think we've seen it, have we?

Davy completely controlled all the games through February.
We repeatedly watched a masterclass in midfield play, sadly that was only because he knew Ajax were watching him.

Now they've gone he had his hair cut and seems to have withdrawn into his shell, a little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here