Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The race to become cannon fodder

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well we all know from bitter experience that three into two doesn't go, so which one of Norwich, Leeds and Sheff Utd are going to miss out?

I know there are quite a few people on here who can't stand Leeds but personally I'm indifferent to them. They have a great manager but still strike me as a bit of a basket case club if he ever decides to walk. If they got promoted I think they'd throw a lot of money at staying up. Would they though? They would either end up as Wolves or as Fulham. I reckon they'd be like Fulham.

Norwich are a well run club and my suspicion is that they would recruit sensibly if they went up, probably a bit like us last season. Sheffield United too, and their manager knows what he's doing. I have them down as next season's Cardiff - they'll give themselves a chance of survival, I'm fairly confident of that, and they'll do it by not alienating the squad of players that got them up.

For all this, let's hope we are still in this league to find out. Regardless, I can't help shuddering when I look at the top of the Championship because the similarities to our disappointment of 3/4 years ago are striking!

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Anyone but Leeds please. They will kick on if they go up which would be insufferable. Pundits would be drooling. Personally, they have the most dislikeable fans I have ever come across. Come on .Sheffield United!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Want Leeds to go up. They will struggle like Fulham in the PL
On the other hand, if we go down they will be a big challenge again next season.
Win-win, Leeds.

Shef U I suspect will struggle to recruit (where?) so they would be good to go up, for exactly the same reasons.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I couldn't give a shit one way or another. We just have to do our own job and take 4 or 6 points from whoever we have to play.

Leeds fans are unpleasant, got hit by flying debris several times at the Goldstone when their delightful supporters, wearing WWII German helmets decided to redistribute bits of east terrace.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not concerned about any of them to be honest. I think all three will be useless when they come up.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Anyone but Leeds please. They will kick on if they go up which would be insufferable. Pundits would be drooling. Personally, they have the most dislikeable fans I have ever come across. Come on .Sheffield United!

I agree with every word!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Norwich, Sheffield united and Bristol city via the play offs. Hopefully Leeds get beat with a last minute winner in the play off final.

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
They think they are still good enough to compete with the best clubs out there, and that they are just unlucky, I'm surrounded by Leeds fans on the daily, and if they get promoted this season with town getting relegated, it'll be like they've won the quadruple

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I think we'll stay up this season, so I'm now worried about next and trying to pick the three teams who will be worse than us. Consequently I'm not really fussed as to which clubs come up, I just hope they all to turn out to be Fulhams as opposed to Wolves.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I couldn't give a shit one way or another. We just have to do our own job and take 4 or 6 points from whoever we have to play.

Leeds fans are unpleasant, got hit by flying debris several times at the Goldstone when their delightful supporters, wearing WWII German helmets decided to redistribute bits of east terrace.
How times change...can't even get bottle tops in now!:lol:

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Norwich would be the most direct threat as a team which is used to finishing high in the Championship and could survive in the PL. Leeds would struggle IMHO, and Sheffield United could easily become next season's Fulham.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Norwich are the Wolves of the Championship this season, they're already gone although vastly overrated. I think Sheffield United will pip Leeds to 2nd and Leeds will flunk it in the play offs.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I can't recall playing Sheff Utd for about 10 + years

So would like them to come up.

Be funny for Leeds to miss out.

All 3 I suspect have the potential to push on in the prem

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Depressing, that the thinking is already turning to our means of grimly surviving next season. If that's all we're thinking, what's even the point of staying up?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Depressing, that the thinking is already turning to our means of grimly surviving next season. If that's all we're thinking, what's even the point of staying up?
The dividend for hanging on grimly in the top division is that your squad is good enough for a proper tilt at the cup competitions, as evidenced by our quarter final then semi final appearances in successive Premier league seasons after not managing that at all since 1985.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Norwich must be up now. Dirty Leeds and Villa are both decent away fixtures although I have never been to Bramall Lane so will be happy with them.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
With the 2 from 3 scenario I expect it to be Leeds and Norwich.

I then think we could see an outlier like Bristol City succeed in the play offs if they make it. There’s also an outside chance for either of Massive or Villa make the play offs as well.

That would be the worst case scenario as either one of those, plus Leeds coming up would probably see us slip into the perceived worst tree teams in the league category which we haven’t had since coming up. (If we stay up...)

An ideal world if we stay up would be Norwich, Sheff United and Bristol City to come up as I think we’d have something more about us than all of those.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They think they are still good enough to compete with the best clubs out there, and that they are just unlucky, I'm surrounded by Leeds fans on the daily, and if they get promoted this season with town getting relegated, it'll be like they've won the quadruple

Yes, their sense of entitlement outdoes Wednesday. Sheff Utd and Leeds with Norwich missing out for me. I have a irrational dislike of Norwich.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here