Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The race to become cannon fodder

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, at the other end it looks like being an unusually high points tally that'll still see you relegated this year. Reading are currently in the last 'safe' spot on 40 points, with Rovrum just behind them in the drop zone on 39, and both still have 6 games to go.

Last year, Barnsley and Bolton both went down on 41 pts
Prior to that, Charlton went down on 40, Millwall went down on 41. The one exception being Blackburn, who were rather unfortunate to go down with 51 points. Its probably going to be another pretty high one this season by the looks.

Peterborough went down on 55! :eek:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Norwich - Deserve to get promoted, they've been the most consistently good team in the Championship. If they've been doing their off-field job properly this means they should have been planning for Prem football since Christmas, and if they can wrap up automatic promotion swiftly they'll steal a couple of weeks march on other sides re their transfer business. That said, they are Norwich - a yo-yo club. I don't see them as a basket case like Fulham or Hudds but they'll undoubtably be in the mix for the drop next season.

Sheff Utd - They're over-achieving and their team is no better than, say, the Huddersfield side that won promotion and has struggled ever since. If they come up they'll be favourites for the drop.

Leeds - They've missed Kemar Roofe over the last few weeks but he's fit again now for their run-in. I think they'll pip the Blades for 2nd spot. I think they have a great chance of Prem survival - they'll have Bielsa plus a packed Elland Road.

I fancy Villa might pip the Blades in the play-off final.

What this means for the Albion is the sooner we pick up the 4 points required for survival the sooner we can start going our summer transfer business and the better chance we'll have of survival in 2019/20.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, their sense of entitlement outdoes Wednesday. Sheff Utd and Leeds with Norwich missing out for me. I have a irrational dislike of Norwich.

This. I have no interest in seeing Norwich back in the PL. I think they're pretty much up though unfortunately.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Do not want the pigs going up automatically. Ideal situation from my POV is that they lose the playoff final in "unlucky circumstances".

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You've got me totally wrong. Not moaning about this season, I'm loving supporting Albion at the moment. I'm making a point that we (club, manager and supporters) shouldn't continually set low expectations. A couple of years of aiming for 17th is understandable, but there's a few commonly held beliefs I just don't buy .. one is that we can never establish ourselves as a club (like, say Leicester or Wolves) which at the start of a season is highly unlikely to go down.

Doing the double over Palace, beating the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal and getting to Wembley in the Cup? Also seeing at close hand some amazing footballers.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It would make a nice change going to Elland Road and the ticket costing £30 rather than £40!

I'd like Sheffield United to be in the same league as us next season as it's the only ground in the top two tiers I haven't been too.

Assuming we stay up, I'd quite like Bristol City to win the play-offs. West Brom, Villa, Boro would be a bit meh.

theboybilly

Norwich, Sheffield united and Bristol city via the play offs. Hopefully Leeds get beat with a last minute winner in the play off final.

I'll go with that as Norwich and Bristol are great ale-drinking away days. Sheff Utd to take the 3rd promotion berth would be lovely. I would much rather see Leeds spiralling down to the West Yorkshire Combination (if there is such a thing)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't mind, but I would like to see Bristol City go up via the play-offs.
Adam Webster, a highly regarded young player!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is always a highlight of every season in the Championship.

5 Bristol City 40 10 65
6 Aston Villa 40 17 63
----------------------------------------
7 Middlesbrough 41 7 61
8 Derby 40 5 60

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is always a highlight of every season in the Championship.

5 Bristol City 40 10 65
6 Aston Villa 40 17 63
----------------------------------------
7 Middlesbrough 41 7 61
8 Derby 40 5 60

I also SINCERELY hope that Middlesbrough fall short - their recent dreadful run has delighted me. I think they are probably the last team out of the whole lot that I would like to see promoted. As a club they are dullness personified, its a shit awayday, and their fans are filth. Long may they languish.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I also SINCERELY hope that Middlesbrough fall short - their recent dreadful run has delighted me. I think they are probably the last team out of the whole lot that I would like to see promoted. As a club they are dullness personified, its a shit awayday, and their fans are filth. Long may they languish.

Yes, the current state of affairs either side of the playoff line is perfect. As long as Villa don't go all the way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, the current state of affairs either side of the playoff line is perfect. As long as Villa don't go all the way.

Agreed. There is a deep sense of entitlement at that club, they seem to believe that they are "on loan" to the Championship, that they don't really belong there. I enjoyed Fulham stuffing them up in the Playoff final. The financial fallout and subsequent rancour aimed at "Dr" Tony Xia (which led to him stepping down as owner) really was great fun. I do like that #avfc hashtag when it all goes wrong for them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As an aside, at the other end it looks like being an unusually high points tally that'll still see you relegated this year. Reading are currently in the last 'safe' spot on 40 points, with Rovrum just behind them in the drop zone on 39, and both still have 6 games to go.

Last year, Barnsley and Bolton both went down on 41 pts
Prior to that, Charlton went down on 40, Millwall went down on 41. The one exception being Blackburn, who were rather unfortunate to go down with 51 points. Its probably going to be another pretty high one this season by the looks.
Burton rather than Bolton.

Bolton are DOOMED this year though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Burton rather than Bolton.

Bolton are DOOMED this year though.

D'oh, yes I meant Burton.

Bolton are indeed stuffed. I've been having a little lurk around their messageboards, very bleak. Staff and players still not being paid, they're nailed on for relegation, administration is looming, the squad will be stripped to the bone. Can quite easily see them crashing straight through L1 next year as well, unless they can attract a very rich buyer who is prepared to swallow up about £50m worth of debt.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Norwich will be the steady ones like us.

Leeds will spunk a load of money and get circa 1 point for every 5mil. Much rather they were promoted than Villa or even West Brom who will both probably do alright.

Not easy to judge the others.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Want Leeds to go up. They will struggle like Fulham in the PL
On the other hand, if we go down they will be a big challenge again next season.
Win-win, Leeds.

Shef U I suspect will struggle to recruit (where?) so they would be good to go up, for exactly the same reasons.

Are we back to the old theory that you must live in the city you play for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here