Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The race to become cannon fodder

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Depressing, that the thinking is already turning to our means of grimly surviving next season. If that's all we're thinking, what's even the point of staying up?

That's how the Premier League works. Anyone outside the top 6 has half an eye on relegation, and outside a core of maybe 3 teams (this season being Leicester, Everton, Wolves) everyone else is in a relegation scrap from the first kick of the season to the last. We will be again next season, and if we stay up we will be the year after that too. And the year after that. Every year until we do go down.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I can't recall playing Sheff Utd for about 10 + years

So would like them to come up.

Be funny for Leeds to miss out.

All 3 I suspect have the potential to push on in the prem

2005/2006 last time. I remember going up there for Barry Lloyd's first match in the FA cup 3rd round, in the snow.

Such an easy ground to get to as is Sheffield so easy to get to on the train.

Although I also remember in the infamous last game of the season at the Goldstone pitch invasion at the final whistle and the corner flag hoisted in the air

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So do you think on the Wolves, West Ham, Leicester or Everton boards they are at the moment working out which Championship team is likely to have the least chance of staying up so they can survive for another year.

We need to start looking and thinking upwards at some stage, the club, the management and the fans

That's how the Premier League works. Anyone outside the top 6 has half an eye on relegation, and outside a core of maybe 3 teams (this season being Leicester, Everton, Wolves) everyone else is in a relegation scrap from the first kick of the season to the last. We will be again next season, and if we stay up we will be the year after that too. And the year after that. Every year until we do go down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So do you think on the Wolves, West Ham, Leicester or Everton boards they are at the moment working out which Championship team is likely to have the least chance of staying up so they can survive for another year.

We need to start looking and thinking upwards at some stage, the club, the management and the fans

You know what? It doesn't matter one jot what I think or where I look. I go to the games, sing some of the songs and cheer the team. It doesn't make one bit of difference to Chris Hughton or the players whether I look up or down. This is what Nsc is for.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I dislike Norwich a lot, but they're smashing it at the moment and can see them being comfortable next season. Sheffield United because I've lived in the area for a while and been to Bramall Lane a couple of times whilst at Uni. I also hate Wednesday, so a good reason to see them up.

Leeds can **** off, would not mind seeing Bristol City going up via play offs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The dividend for hanging on grimly in the top division is that your squad is good enough for a proper tilt at the cup competitions, as evidenced by our quarter final then semi final appearances in successive Premier league seasons after not managing that at all since 1985.
and also the fact that Tony is no longer losing millions to keep us going. The Championship was fun, but it costs a lot to compete year after year.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I would not be too surprised if it was a team like Villa that came up via the playoffs. Norwich, Sheff U and Villa to come up. Villa to spend loads and be relegated i.e Fulham, except they'll finish 18th and it'll be a close run thing, Norwich to finish 15th, Sheff U to scrape survival. Burnley and someone else (not us) to join villa

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
What impresses me about Norwich is that they made a substantial profit for the last 3 reported seasons. Sounds like they have got their house in order at last.
Still don’t like them but if they hadn’t sacked Chris we may not have got him! All good for me!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My only concern is that we are not one of the clubs they replace

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Norwich and Sheff Utd automatically, then the two biggest clubs in European history in Leeds and Villa battle to return to their rightful place via the play-offs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Leeds are well overdue an implosion - absolute basket case owners. I hope they come up and then implode.

Would be happy for Sheff Utd to come up and take on Cardiff's role from this season.

I can see Burnley struggling again, and possibly Bournemouth slowly sliding down. If Rafa walks, could Newcastle be back in trouble?

All in all, we will get loads of posts at the start of next season - as we do every season - saying how the league is looking the toughest yet to stay in. And as per, it probably won't be true.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yes, but why does that stage have to be now? Too soon for me. Two completed premier league seasons does not put us at the same stature as Everton or West ham

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Leeds are well overdue an implosion - absolute basket case owners. I hope they come up and then implode.

Would be happy for Sheff Utd to come up and take on Cardiff's role from this season.

I can see Burnley struggling again, and possibly Bournemouth slowly sliding down. If Rafa walks, could Newcastle be back in trouble?

All in all, we will get loads of posts at the start of next season - as we do every season - saying how the league is looking the toughest yet to stay in. And as per, it probably won't be true.

Leeds are also well overdue being one of the biggest clubs in English football again

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't mind Leeds getting promoted tbh. Games against them are usually eventful with a decent atmosphere, with the added bonus that we usually turn them over. They'd be a more interesting addition to the PL than Narch IMO.

That said, it would also be very, very funny seeing them stuff it up again, particularly as this is the closest they've been to promotion in donkeys.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As an aside, at the other end it looks like being an unusually high points tally that'll still see you relegated this year. Reading are currently in the last 'safe' spot on 40 points, with Rovrum just behind them in the drop zone on 39, and both still have 6 games to go.

Last year, Barnsley and Bolton both went down on 41 pts
Prior to that, Charlton went down on 40, Millwall went down on 41. The one exception being Blackburn, who were rather unfortunate to go down with 51 points. Its probably going to be another pretty high one this season by the looks.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I wouldn't mind Leeds getting promoted tbh. Games against them are usually eventful with a decent atmosphere, with the added bonus that we usually turn them over. They'd be a more interesting addition to the PL than Narch IMO.

That said, it would also be very, very funny seeing them stuff it up again, particularly as this is the closest they've been to promotion in donkeys.

Their fixtures include home game v MASSIVE this Sat and then Villa away so they could still ARSE it up royally.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Rafa walks, could Newcastle be back in trouble?

I'd say that's an incredibly strong likelihood. He's keeping them above water right now IMHO. All it takes is one big club batting their eyelids at him and he'll be out that door faster than you can say "Byker Grove".

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Depressing, that the thinking is already turning to our means of grimly surviving next season. If that's all we're thinking, what's even the point of staying up?

Doing the double over Palace, beating the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal and getting to Wembley in the Cup? Also seeing at close hand some amazing footballers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I have no idea. But if they do have the sense of entitlement to justify not having that thread at least it's been earned on their part. I would be very surprised if Palace, Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton & Newcastle fans aren't thinking something similar, even if they don't say it out loud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here