Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Spam

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s riddled at the moment, endless refreshes, nagverts, being directed away to really dodgy sites.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry this is happening chaps. I use the site a lot myself and haven't seen a single instance of this, but unfortunately that can happen.

I'll need more information to be able to try an detect what is going on and remediate it. Can you answer as much of the following as possible if you experience bad stuff:

- Device type
- Operating system
- Browser
- NSC URL visited
- What happened
- Destination URL if you were redirected

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Sorry this is happening chaps. I use the site a lot myself and haven't seen a single instance of this, but unfortunately that can happen.

I'll need more information to be able to try an detect what is going on and remediate it. Can you answer as much of the following as possible if you experience bad stuff:

- Device type
- Operating system
- Browser
- NSC URL visited
- What happened
- Destination URL if you were redirected
Not sure how to PM you Bozza to send you screen shot attachments of what continually pops up on my iPhone X when entering NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure how to PM you Bozza to send you screen shot attachments of what continually pops up on my iPhone X when entering NSC

Don't worry - others have posted screenshots, which have gone to our ad partner, update below.

"Yeah we are aware of this. There is bad actor who has been quite persistent over the past couple of days and is particularly difficult to pin down.

We also have a call with our protection partner tomorrow to go discuss the attack over the last few days and what can be done to try and mitigate things like this in the future

I can assure you we are as frustrated as yourself and are focused 100% on stamping these rogue ads out

Thanks for your patience on this matter and I'll update you when I can."​

For information: I have already committed that we are prepared to pay for "ad protection", as may be required, to do what we can to minimise these occurrences.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i keep getting it also a bt pop up every time i go on nsc im on a ipad pro

Seems to be a Safari thing.

I have NSC open most of the day on my laptop at work - never seen one of these pop up ads. On my iPhone or my iPad though, they are currently relentless. Every third page I access on the site throws up some stupid "GONRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON BLAH BLAH BLAH" full screen pop up, with no 'close' button - only an 'Okay' which takes you to a VirginMedia ad page.

Annoying.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Don't worry - others have posted screenshots, which have gone to our ad partner, update below.

"Yeah we are aware of this. There is bad actor who has been quite persistent over the past couple of days and is particularly difficult to pin down.

We also have a call with our protection partner tomorrow to go discuss the attack over the last few days and what can be done to try and mitigate things like this in the future

I can assure you we are as frustrated as yourself and are focused 100% on stamping these rogue ads out

Thanks for your patience on this matter and I'll update you when I can."​

For information: I have already committed that we are prepared to pay for "ad protection", as may be required, to do what we can to minimise these occurrences.

Out of curious, how much is the current annual cost of running NSC and how much extra would this ad protection be? I wouldn't mind being a regular donor soon, especially if it means everyone gets a smooth ride. Pop ups are the bane of anyone's online life.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of curious, how much is the current annual cost of running NSC and how much extra would this ad protection be? I wouldn't mind being a regular donor soon, especially if it means everyone gets a smooth ride. Pop ups are the bane of anyone's online life.

Cash isn't a problem which is why, when asked if we'd be willing to pay for "ad protection" tech, I said yes without even thinking.

However, as we've seen, even this protection can be beaten by the bad guys. I get the impression that it's quite a new technology so I'd hope it improves.

However 2: people have asked previously about a donation to NSC, as well as paying to go ad-free (I know plenty of people run ad-blockers - if everyone did that, there would be no NSC) so I do have an item on my to do list to see if I can put together something whereby people could make a donation to NSC and, in return, get a bundle of site extras, something like this:

https://www.mymilitia.com/vip/

This could include the option to have an email address at one of NSC's domain, names, such as:

goodoldsussexbythesea.com
wearebrightonsuperbrighton.com
northstandchat.com / .co.uk / .biz / .net

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Cash isn't a problem which is why, when asked if we'd be willing to pay for "ad protection" tech, I said yes without even thinking.

However, as we've seen, even this protection can be beaten by the bad guys. I get the impression that it's quite a new technology so I'd hope it improves.

However 2: people have asked previously about a donation to NSC, as well as paying to go ad-free (I know plenty of people run ad-blockers - if everyone did that, there would be no NSC) so I do have an item on my to do list to see if I can put together something whereby people could make a donation to NSC and, in return, get a bundle of site extras, something like this:

https://www.mymilitia.com/vip/

This could include the option to have an email address at one of NSC's domain, names, such as:

goodoldsussexbythesea.com
wearebrightonsuperbrighton.com
northstandchat.com / .co.uk / .biz / .net

The extras sounds good, as long as it doesn't become wholly two-tier - but definitely something I'd get behind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here