Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Could We Survive On 33 Points?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, we are currently sitting on 33 points in the Premier League. My question is, do we think we could escape relegation if we fail to pick up another point?

Cardiff, the bookies strong favourites for the drop are still five points adrift of us.. Will they pick up more than another four?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well, we are currently sitting on 33 points in the Premier League. My question is, do we think we could escape relegation if we fail to pick up another point?

Cardiff, the bookies strong favourites for the drop are still five points adrift of us.. Will they pick up more than another four?

In theory it is possible, but the scenario would involve Cardiff winning at the Amex, and the gap would then narrow . .I would hate for it to be put to the test!

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

Well if we don't pick up another point, that would be Cardiff beating us. They then require 3 points, taking in to account gd to go above us. That's certainly a strong possibility

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

That would mean Cardiff needing three points from five games. Unlikely 33 is enough.

36, after beating Cardiff would be IMO.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In theory it is possible, but the scenario would involve Cardiff winning at the Amex, and the gap would then narrow . .I would hate for it to be put to the test!

Me too! I'm really not looking forward to watching that game! In reality though, if we can 'just' avoid defeat, l'm hoping it will be enough, with our remaining fixtures, especially the last three, l really can't see us picking up much else at all. Even in our other two supposedly winnable home games, Bournemouth seem to have the Indian sign over us, and Newcastle will be hard to beat too.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There is a fair chance that just a draw against Cardiff could be enough.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Me too! I'm really not looking forward to watching that game! In reality though, if we can 'just' avoid defeat, l'm hoping it will be enough, with our remaining fixtures, especially the last three, l really can't see us picking up much else at all. Even in our other two supposedly winnable home games, Bournemouth seem to have the Indian sign over us, and Newcastle will be hard to beat too.

Much will depend on the tactics in the three "winnable" home games - aim for 0-0 at best, as we did last week, then your scenario becomes reality with frightening speed!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't want to find out,as my fingernails are in good condition.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

The form table suggests that Cardiff could struggle to get the six points they need to overtake us, but if we do not pick up another point, that would mean them beating us at home. Their target from their other five games would then be just one more win. With a home game against Palace and matches against Burnley and Fulham, they would fancy their chances. I suspect that, at the end of the season, Cardiff may not have got 33 points, but this is heavily dependent upon us not given them three at the Amex.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
This weekend is massive. If we beat Bmuff and Burnley beat Cardiff, both of which are realistic, a draw vs Cardiff and we can put the beach towels out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

If points are needed in those games we would get them. CH teams always do. When he is really up against it thats when you really see the players dig deep. The game which secured safety last year is testament to that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Burnley beat Cardiff, then perhaps we could survive on 33 points. Wouldn't like to put it to the test though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cardiff will be targeting the visit to us, their visit to Fulham, followed by Palace coming to them. They'll think if they pick up nine points there, then they'll have set a marker of 37 points for us to beat (although equalling it should suffice).

That could mean we need four points from Bournemouth and Newcastle in order to secure safety.

Simply, if we lose to Cardiff then I'm bricking it.

Screenshot 2019-04-09 at 16.44.01.png

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I still think we will get at least 42 points, winning on Sat and against Cardiff and Newcastle, whether we pick up anything in the other 4 games is up in the air, but I'm actually finding this anti Hughton school of thought, many of whom probably never set foot in the Withdean, on the cusp of laughable and insulting.

Does anyone remember what it was like before he came?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I’m sure we’ll beat Cardiff for you .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After we get humped at Arsenal, Cardiff host Palace in the TV game. If Cardiff are still within 5 points of us by then (or better), it would mean that for the very first time in my entire life, I will have to watch a game actually rooting for that south London filth.

*shudder*

kjgood

No I dont think so at least one more win, if thats against Cardiff even better. A point against Bournmouth would be worth more than one point when you take goal difference into account. It would mean Cardiff would have to win two of thier remaining games and get at least a draw in another without us taking another point.

That is possible as they have Burnley, us, Fulham and Palace to go and they wont help us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here