Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mike Ashley Blows £150 Mil On Failed Debenhams Takeover

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Isn't he worth £3bn or similar? It may smart a bit, but sounds a bit like me losing £50.

Besides, the story may not be over - Debenhams still needs to be sold on, and it's unlikely his interest has ended.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mike Ashley Blows £150 Mil On Failed Debenhams Takeover
He didn't spend £150m on an attempted takeover did he? He had £150m invested in Debenhams, and it looks like he's lost that, as the business has failed.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
That'll cheer The Fat Spanish Waiter, Rafa, up.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He didn't spend £150m on an attempted takeover did he? He had £150m invested in Debenhams, and it looks like he's lost that, as the business has failed.

Your post makes no sense. Are you just weirdly, yet again, arguing for the sake of arguing? Sincere apologies if I've once again triggered that condition you've got and you'll now be up to 2am arguing in a largely empty room :lol:

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They could've bought Eden Hazard for that.

Now it looks like next year they will have [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] (if Sports Direct can find a shirt in his size) playing up front and [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] and all his family at left back ... I know he does like a few left backs in his team

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Strictly speaking weren't the shares in Debenhams held by Sports Direct, so the loss is one for Sports Direct rather than Mike Ashley personally

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Strictly speaking weren't the shares in Debenhams held by Sports Direct, so the loss is one for Sports Direct rather than Mike Ashley personally
I guess. It's just that the headline looked like he'd spent £150m trying to take over, which isn't what's happened.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Is that Newcastle's budget for next season gone too .... Rafa would walk if it is & they would become favourites for relegation in season 20/21.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I really don't understand what people have against him.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

You’re having a laugh, right?

Paying less than minimum wage, staff “not treated like humans”, a woman giving birth in a company toilet b cause she feared losing her job if she called in sick...

The man is the very definition of a CJTC.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby

I think where footy is concerned he pretends to be a die hard fan but in reality he has used the club to advertise his empire (free or cheaply) without putting his hand in pocket often enough. Compared to say TB he is very much more a business man rather than a fan and thats what most people dont like , the pretence he is one of the lads , a fan.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess. It's just that the headline looked like he'd spent £150m trying to take over, which isn't what's happened.

I really don't know why I'm posting this, but he hadn't built a large stake in Debenhams PLC just for fun, he was clearly doing to to manoeuvre himself into a position to take control.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really don't know why I'm posting this, but he hadn't built a large stake in Debenhams PLC just for fun, he was clearly doing to to manoeuvre himself into a position to take control.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47858784
Retail tycoon Mike Ashley tabled the rescue bid on the condition that he be made chief executive of Debenhams.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D3tNgdGWsAE_2U1.jpg

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

This... and if he's just done £150m that'll be coming off his balance sheet and he'll pay a lot less tax for it.

You don't become that rich by being stupid... although if I had his money I'd have a personal chef and personal trainer in an effort to not look like that 'Chocadoobie' character off the Kinder Surprise ads in the 80's...

ash1.jpeg ash2.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
he hadn't built a large stake in Debenhams PLC just for fun, he was clearly doing to to manoeuvre himself into a position to take control.
Fair enough - I figured he had invested in the company before (to make money, rather than either for fun or purely to take control of it), and looked at the recent move as one to take control of it, but I can see how you'd call the whole event as an attempt to take it over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here