Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn and his wife will face no charges from HMRC

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That comment wasn't actually inaccurate. HMRC do pursue people through the Civil Courts to obtain payments. I know of someone who has a CCJ against them awarded in favour of HMRC for non payment of a penalty notice. HMRC were unable to enforce the CCJ so have just left it unpaid. In this case however HMRC should have prosecuted the individual through the Criminal Court as they have substantial evidence that he has filed various falsified accounts but they can't be bothered to pursue him through the criminal court. The man is a serial fraudster and has ripped off HMRC as well as a number of individuals to which end he submitted the falsified accounts. Because his frauds only run into about £10,000 he is considered too small fry to pursue through the criminal courts. This is why they did a half hearted civil court action which although they won they couldnt be bothered with the hassle of pursuing.
HMRC have a bunch of clowns working for them now. Certainly not the force to be reckoned with that they used to be. A lot of their people who carry out investigations haven't got a clue how to interpret HMRC's own regulations. They're a joke.

You have jumped into the realms of ''Tax Collection'' as opposed to the topic of ''Tax Inverstigations'' - You may possibly be correct in that some Enquiries are carried out by EO level Members of HMRC, who may have a lesser knowledge but they are overseen by Inspectors ; However in larger high profile cases I have been involved with as high as ''Grade 6 Inspectors'' have been dealing with them - And I can assure you. That Level of Inspector most definitely know what they are doing.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Isn't it a national sport to try and cheat the taxman?.Who amongst us is without sin?.Who hasn't claimed 25 miles for a journey we know is only 20 or claimed home office expenses for those biros we picked up in the office.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
You have jumped into the realms of ''Tax Collection'' as opposed to the topic of ''Tax Inverstigations'' - You may possibly be correct in that some Enquiries are carried out by EO level Members of HMRC, who may have a lesser knowledge but they are overseen by Inspectors ; However in larger high profile cases I have been involved with as high as ''Grade 6 Inspectors'' have been dealing with them - And I can assure you. That Level of Inspector most definitely know what they are doing.

The penalty wasn't in respect of unpaid tax it was in respect of National Minimum Wage offences. The other offences of false accounting of which there are a number, weren't even investigated. Ironically his accountant who administrated all the incidences of false accounting is a former HMRC tax inspector. I cannot say if this has had any influence in preventing an investigation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The penalty wasn't in respect of unpaid tax it was in respect of National Minimum Wage offences. The other offences of false accounting of which there are a number, weren't even investigated. Ironically his accountant who administrated all the incidences of false accounting is a former HMRC tax inspector. I cannot say if this has had any influence in preventing an investigation.

I know absolutely nothing about National Minimum Wage Offences - Way outside my Expertise, so can't comment at all.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
HMRC are so archaic they still do everything by post, so at least we know that ANY communication via email pertaining to be them is total bobbins.

Not quite.. they called me on my mobile, when they were investigating Chris Lunn.. 'You need to change your acountant, and go back 10 years and tell us of any mistakes made..' :cry:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3389332/Accountant-stars-cheated-taxman-6million-faces-jail-barrister-claims-held-responsible-65-000.html

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
HMRC are so archaic they still do everything by post, so at least we know that ANY communication via email pertaining to be them is total bobbins.

All my contact with HMRC is by email. They only tell me that I have correspondence awaiting me in my account. When I log in, there it is.

I did however set up electronic communication in my preferences. Obviously any unsolicited emails should not be trusted.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here