Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Walton

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This.

Why would we sell him? £4million is small change to us these days. Keep loaning him out until it's clear we don't need him.

Think we have kept loaning him out until it's clear we don't need him (provided we don't get relegated). It's less about the money, and more about thinking of the player's career, and developing a reputation amongst players and agents that we're a club that think about a player's career and enable them to progress.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Remember how everyone decided he was our future number 1?

Now he's linked with a move away for a few million quid after an erratic season in the Championship and nobody is surprised or seemingly bothered.

Funny old game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

You mean, remember when some people thought he might be our future number 1, when we were a Championship side.

Fair to say things have changed quite a bit since then. Will probably end up a decent Champ GK, which would've suited us in previous years.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Seems good business all round to me. If true that's as much or more than the club record Bridcutt(I think) and he was arguably the most important player for us at the time.
Walton's got loads of experience for a keeper his age and the prospect of being first choice at a 'big' championship team, the stability of a 3/ 4 year contract on (I assume) would be more than he's currently getting ... All sounds quite reasonable.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Seems good business all round to me. If true that's as much or more than the club record Bridcutt(I think) and he was arguably the most important player for us at the time.
Walton's got loads of experience for a keeper his age and the prospect of being first choice at a 'big' championship team, the stability of a 3/ 4 year contract on (I assume) would be more than he's currently getting ... All sounds quite reasonable.

Our club record sale is Leonardo UIloa to Leicester for about £9 million. The price quoted for Walton does have him in second place though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’ll take £4m plus a good sell on clause. Still hellishly young for a keeper so not sure how anyone can already be writing him off already!!

People have absurdly short memories, it was only a couple of seasons ago that peopler were saying he should be our first choice keeper!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People have absurdly short memories, it was only a couple of seasons ago that peopler were saying he should be our first choice keeper!

seems to of been found out a bit as gone up in level.

Looked very good at the start though.

I've only seen him play a few times so can't really comment. £4m is decent profit but doesn't really get you much in the prem.

Still hopeful he will fulfil early promise

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
It’s stretching it to say he came up through our Academy. We bought him from Plymouth for peanuts when they were desperate for money when he was 17.

I believe that Plymouth would have almost certainly have a sell-on fee as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
And people who say Sanchez is a better option, I thought he got called back because he wasn’t getting in the Forest Green team? Walton has had a few full seasons now and was in the league 1 team of the year last season. Should be kept IMO!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The source for this story was I think The Sun on Sunday . Its only in their print edition and written up faithfully by HITC
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/04/...and-stoke-city-interested-in-christian-walto/

it says Albion values Walton at £4m, Derby and Stoke "interested" and "Walton will hold talks with Brighton regarding his future in the summer transfer window."
His contract is up in July 2021 so still 2 years to go.
https://www.northstandchat.com/cont...ue-squad-U-21s-listing-and-contract-durations

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn’t say far better, he’s a better shot stopper but not much superior in kicking or claiming crosses.

And Ryan is an Australian keeper who was Valencia’s second keeper so his value was naturally low, Walton is a young English keeper who is into his 3rd full season now. Looking at how much Pickford & Gunn have gone for in the past letting Walton go for £4 million wouldn’t make sense at this stage.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ulloa

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Walton has had a few full seasons now and was in the league 1 team of the year last season. Should be kept IMO!

Got dropped about around Christmas in his first Champ season and has only featured 3 times since without a clean sheet. Ironically they were doing quite well until then but it coincided with a change in manager.

Back OT I suggest we only have to sell if he wants to go. Ask Stoke for a loan fee of £1m for next season and then negotiate from there depending on how both teams fare.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Got dropped about around Christmas in his first Champ season and has only featured 3 times since without a clean sheet. Ironically they were doing quite well until then but it coincided with a change in manager.

Back OT I suggest we only have to sell if he wants to go. Ask Stoke for a loan fee of £1m for next season and then negotiate from there depending on how both teams fare.
Won't we have to take into account the numbers of loanees we can have out next season?

£4M? - enough, or not enough - I r3eally don't know, as prices have clearly gone mad. The youngster needs to play - it's all very well asking a 30 something GK to earn a (relatively cushy) living as a third choice PL keeper, but a 23 year old needs to be playing. So, we may have to sell - just let's make sure it has a huge sell-on clause (and/or a buy back clause)!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Won't we have to take into account the numbers of loanees we can have out next season?

The new FIFA loan regulations won't come into effect until the 2020-21 season, but given the number of exceptions and exemptions that will be applied, they will be virtually meaningless.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The new FIFA loan regulations won't come into effect until the 2020-21 season, but given the number of exceptions and exemptions that will be applied, they will be virtually meaningless.

OK, fairy nuff. I think the lad needs a bit of stability (as well as a regular first team place) now - it must be a bit unsettling going out on loan all the time, not knowing where you'll be in a few months time. I know we're a business, and shouldn't conduct business on humanitarian grounds, but maybe it is time to let him go - with a huge sell-on clause in case he goes on to become England's regular GK and no.1 at a top 6 club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here