Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton pier accident ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Air Race" - what a ridiculous title for a ride, when I guarantee it is absolutely impossible to overtake anyone.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
what is this "Brighton Pier" you speak of? There is no pier by that name. Never has been, never will be. Even the Argus agrees.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
what is this "Brighton Pier" you speak of? There is no pier by that name. Never has been, never will be. Even the Argus agrees.

The Palace Pier which is in Brighton, therefore surely a "Brighton Pier". There is no pub in Brighton called the Brighton pub, but there are many Brighton Pubs, are there not?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Ms Ackford said the pier's organisers would "co-operate fully with any investigation".

Can you imagine if they turned round and said -

‘No, we won’t be co-operating with any investigation’

As if they have a choice!

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most fair ground rides are death in waiting. I used to love bumper cars when I was younger, but having seen my then 9 year old sone get rear ended and smack his head in a car with no headrest pad . . . . . He was really lucky, I ****ing hate fairs and the pikeys that run them. The pier is no different, awful place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Palace Pier which is in Brighton, therefore surely a "Brighton Pier". There is no pub in Brighton called the Brighton pub, but there are many Brighton Pubs, are there not?

note you applied plural to "Brighton Pubs" for that to make sense. possessive form "Brighton's Pier" would be legitimate, "Brighton Pier" is incorrect and does not exist*.

edit: though as i say it in my head the title here does sound right, "Brighton pub incident" does sound right, so maybe the pedantry is misplaced this time.

(apparently was at some time on Brighton Beach, New York)

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is a shame that the Pier is basically just a fairground on the sea. I would guess the only time Brightonians actually use the pier is to take an occasional stroll to look at the sea views, or to take visitors kids out for the day. It really is that rubbish, just a tourist trap.

im sure that being a tourist trap is the purpose of a leisure pier.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Most fair ground rides are death in waiting. I used to love bumper cars when I was younger, but having seen my then 9 year old sone get rear ended and smack his head in a car with no headrest pad . . . . . He was really lucky, I ****ing hate fairs and the pikeys that run them. The pier is no different, awful place.

So what you trying to say?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is a shame that the Pier is basically just a fairground on the sea. I would guess the only time Brightonians actually use the pier is to take an occasional stroll to look at the sea views, or to take visitors kids out for the day. It really is that rubbish, just a tourist trap.

I think we can give up any hope that the West Pier will be rebuilt. Perhaps we the best we can hope for is that an incident like this causes the lot to be shut down and scrapped. I think they have the right idea with the new Hastings pier.

I was pleasantly surprised recently (although thankful no accidents occurred). The discounted tickets for the fair for residents was great value and my kids had a really good time. The food in the Palm Court Restaurant was also surprisingly good, and would go back.

The new Hastings pier is shut by the way. Would seem something very corrupt has gone on there.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I was pleasantly surprised recently (although thankful no accidents occurred). The discounted tickets for the fair for residents was great value and my kids had a really good time. The food in the Palm Court Restaurant was also surprisingly good, and would go back.

The new Hastings pier is shut by the way. Would seem something very corrupt has gone on there.

It reopened recently by the way.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2...ad-of-schedule-in-time-for-the-summer-months/

Also, Worthing Pier has been named pier of the year for 2019.

https://www.littlehamptongazette.co...ier-of-the-year-for-the-second-time-1-8883335

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills