Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As you so rfightly say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Quite frankly though, as I see it, even if we had managed an equaliser, (say had Murray got to the ball before Laporte and turned it into the net), all that would probably have done, is push City into another gear, and they would have got another goal or two before the end.

Obviously we will never know for sure, but City seemed to be playing well withing themselves, and despite us pushing them with everything we had, they still managed to stay in frontg reasonably comfortably. I don't think any changes we may have made during the game would have altered the result.

Yes it was a brave rearguard action by every one of our players, but let's face it, the best team won on the day.
    With respect, think you have been listening to too many pundits.

We had them rattled, and they were definitely going through the gears trying to see the game off in the 2nd half. We matched them.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

10 Not allowed!
      I've just watched the BBC coverage of the second half and hearing Jenas, Linekar and Shearer literally laugh at how we played was infuriating

Saying how frustrating it must be to play up front for us... Saying that we missed an opportunity because City were so poor?

It might not have made for a very good game to watch for the neutral, but we had to contain City if we wanted anything out of that game. And, for 90 minutes, we did it brilliantly and lost by just one goal.

Hughton got his tactics spot on IMO. We came out in that second half and did everything we could, but we were never going to commit 10 men forward otherwise we'd have lost 5-0. Our team just aren't on the same level as City, it's as simple as that.

But we did what we could and if we'd have had just one slightly better ball into the box (Montoya and Knockaert FFS!) or, if Solly March had been playing, I think we'd have got our goal and the game could have gone either way.

We did almost everything right. We're just not good enough.
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post

We had them rattled, and they were definitely going through the gears trying to see the game off in the 2nd half. We matched them.
      I was there watching the game, not listening to the pundits.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      not sure missed a trick.

We did ok . Had a genuine moment where we could of scored and a shot at the keeper. City had a good few chances.

We did better than expected and I don't think we could of done a lot more. City had another gear if they needed it. They were fairly comfortable and managing the game
      Year of the Tiger #WHC Ninja Elephant's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      There are some elements of the OP, @The Gem, which I find absolutely mental. I get the logic of it all, and I really think we should have tried something different to get into the game rather than the minor change of Locadia playing off Andone with 2 central midfielders in behind. But Duffy up front for 10 minutes, and then subbed? Why on earth would you sacrifice a goal threat at all set pieces in favour of keeping Bernardo on?! The idea of Dunk, Duffy and Burn as three across the back isn't bad at all but I think sacrificing Montoya would have been a waste, there's a right wing back in there for sure, and I think Bernardo would probably be fine playing that role on the left. I know it wouldn't have appeased many of the vocals in our end but Burn for Knockaert/Jahanbakhsh would have made a bit more sense if you wanted to go 3-5-2 with the full backs as wing backs and then the survivor of the wingers (Knockaert was never going off...) playing off Murray up front with Stephens sitting the deepest of the midfield 3.

I think our players are versatile enough to cope with such a change in shape and considering the status quo isn't working, we should do whatever we want and mix it up. Ultimately though, we didn't roll over lay down and I enjoyed the game from in my chair. You'd have to be living on an island to think that we should be matching them man for man, but I think that when Locadia was warming up, Hughton was saying, I'm going to hold you back and throw you to make in impact late on. It was the beginning of the end, ultimately, but I don't think it'll be 36 years before we get to try again.

10 Not allowed!
      I've rationalised Saturday as:-

'The Albion are good enough to stop City having a field day.
      But not good enough to stop City AND impose themselves on the game'.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      There are some elements of the OP, @The Gem, which I find absolutely mental.
      You are not alone
      I am such a Naughty Boy.

3 Not allowed!
      One thing tactically which did make me rage was Hughton not letting Ryan come up for that free kick at the end.

Little things like that say a lot about how he thinks. With one minute left he's still more worried about City winning 2-0 then risking Maty Ryan causing a bit of chaos in the box. That annoyed me.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
      The third sub is the only one I might have done different - go 3 at the back, and get one more in the mix. Had we managed to nick an equalizer, however, the XI Hughton had on at 90 minutes would have been far better balanced than the one you are suggesting we should have finished with. Yours would probably had lost 5-1 in ET!
      Remember we could have made a 4th sub if we got to ET.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      As you so rfightly say, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Quite frankly though, as I see it, even if we had managed an equaliser, (say had Murray got to the ball before Laporte and turned it into the net), all that would probably have done, is push City into another gear, and they would have got another goal or two before the end.

Obviously we will never know for sure, but City seemed to be playing well withing themselves, and despite us pushing them with everything we had, they still managed to stay in frontg reasonably comfortably. I don't think any changes we may have made during the game would have altered the result.

Yes it was a brave rearguard action by every one of our players, but let's face it, the best team won on the day.
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post

And this.

Oh god, I don't know.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.