Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Set Pieces.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Feel we have been missing Gross for a while. No disrespect to Knocky but his deliveries into the box ( corners and free-kicks ) are very predictable. Each and every one is whipped in with pace and they offer no variety for the opposition to think about. We had a number of vital free-kicks on Saturday and almost all were cleared comfortably by the City back-line. Gross has more feel and a better touch. He can cut across the ball, he can clip it, he can float it and if needed, he can drive it in. They need to be mixed up to get the opposition out of a comfort zone. Knocky's kicks at Wembley were entirely predictable.
( p.s...any likelihood of Gross being back this season? )

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Don't agree with you Mo. Knocky's delivery has been excellent. Think we are one of the highest scorers of them, (with Gross having missed most of the season) and a set piece provided our best chance of a goal at the weekend. Whether Gross or Knocky are in the side, the instruction would be the same, "hit Duffy"

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't agree with you Mo. Knocky's delivery has been excellent. Think we are one of the highest scorers of them, (with Gross having missed most of the season) and a set piece provided our best chance of a goal at the weekend. Whether Gross or Knocky are in the side, the instruction would be the same, "hit Duffy"

I agree - Knocky's delivery from corners and free kicks have got better in recent weeks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
My only gripe is every corner is the same tactic, flight it to the back post where Dunk / Duffy is waiting. Every single time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My only gripe is every corner is the same tactic, flight it to the back post where Dunk / Duffy is waiting. Every single time.

Well. That says to me, that the free kick taker is executing the manager's order, exactly as they've been told.

Given everything, surely if there's one thing we can't moan about it's set pieces

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
and don't, just don't, get me started on our ridiculous kick off routine :angry:

Hey, it's bound to work eventually if we only keep doing it...

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I did enjoy the U23's take on a different routine.That four-in-a-line they did against Swansea caused havoc.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If we all know where the ball is going from a free kick, why is no-one there when it arrives?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re the kick off routine. How many times have we actually retained possession out of it? How many times have we been able to put the opposition on the back foot or catch them by surprise? Saturday was the most obvious graphic example of why it doesn't work.

The problem I've got with it, is not so much its continued failure as the message it sends ."we don't want the ball, we're going to hoof it to try to gain territory".

How about we just try something revolutionary. Lets start passing.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I heard on Sat that we have scored the most goals from set pieces along with Liverpool. Believe the number is 9. Must be doing something right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here