Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Evidently Kayal was upset at being left out of the match day squad for the semi-final against Manchester City and I must say I understand his frustration. He featured in all the previous rounds up to this point and in my opinion was up there with our best performers in each match he played. I believe that he would have contributed positively in the semi-final whether he be a starter or off the bench. he is a good ball carrier, leaves nothing out on the pitch and scores the odd goal - the latter attribute sadly lacking in most of our team this season.

In the same vein, I was disappointed that Button was overlooked in the quarter and semi, having performed very well in the earlier rounds. I'm not a fan of Ryan, as good as he is, he's too short and when fine margins might be all that wins a game or keeps us up then I think this is an area that needs to be looked at. Both Wolves and Watford played their 'second string' keepers for the semis, having played all the previous rounds and they didn't let their team dowm yesterday.

I think it sends the wrong message to players who have to wait to get their chance, play well, then get overlooked again. Dan Burn was another example of someone who played really well in earlier rounds only to get overlooked as the cup progressed.

Any thoughts?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was disappointed that Button was overlooked in the quarter and semi, having performed very well in the earlier rounds. I'm not a fan of Ryan, as good as he is, he's too short and when fine margins might be all that wins a game or keeps us up then I think this is an area that needs to be looked at. Both Wolves and Watford played their 'second string' keepers for the semis, having played all the previous rounds and they didn't let their team dowm yesterday.
Any thoughts?

John Ruddy got lobbed from inside the box and his attempt to stop Delefeou’s second was woeful, Ryan conceded a bullet header from 8 yards out. Other than that, you’ve made a great point about the keepers.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well, cast your mind back to rounds 4 and 5..... I remember leaving those games saying “well none of them have really grabbed their chance to get in the first eleven”

That might be why

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It did seem strange him not being on the bench with three attackers and three defenders on there. Maybe could/should have been on the bench instead of Bong or Bruno. Irrelevant now mind you.

Assuming/hoping we don’t go down, I expect he’ll want to leave in the summer as he’s really not getting the minutes a player of his ability and age should. He’d be a top signing for a side coming up or team looking for promotion from the Championship.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is it because it wasn't an U13s final trying to give all the players a go, but a professional football club picking it's best team to reach a final?

I would hope Kayal was upset, I'd be more worried if he wasn't. Personally, I might have only picked 2 of Bong, Bruno and Burn, with a place going to Kayal, but I'm sure the manager had his reasons.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it because it wasn't an U13s final trying to give all the players a go, but a professional football club picking it's best team to reach a final?

I would hope Kayal was upset, I'd be more worried if he wasn't. Personally, I might have only picked 2 of Bong, Bruno and Burn, with a place going to Kayal, but I'm sure the manager had his reasons.

Utterly baffling not to have Kayal on the bench given Stephens, Bissouma and Propper were all playing their 3rd full match in 7 days.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Of course he is frustrated, he wouldnt be human otherwise. However having a bench packed with out and out defenders (3) and out and out forwards (3) does make sense when playing a 4-5-1 starting formation against city. You run the risks of sending offs from late tackles in defence and will either be chasing the game late on or trying to see hold on.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't understand the decision to leave him on the bench either, given that if one of our midfielders had to come off we would have had to change the formation.

I can only summise, I don't think he's quite what Hughton is looking for

Kayal has been terrific for us, but probably he needs a move. We'll lose several of the players who did well in the Championship over the summer and he is very likely to be one of them. If that is the case, “all the best for the rest of your career Beram and you’ll certainly get warm applause any time you come back to the Amex”

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You could have a valid point about the players being left out. But to criticise Maty Ryan who has been magnificent for two seasons is ridiculous. He is rock solid. Magnificent. One of the best we’ve ever had.

Oh and he’s just 1cm shorter than Iker Casillas....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
point about Kayal good, hope he features in upcoming league games.
point on Button/Ryan is drivel, playing the top team in the country i want our best goalkeeper.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Kayal tweeted 3 'shrug' emojis when the team was announced. Any player not involved must have been gutted, Kayal and March especially.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not surprised he's pissed off. Kayal IMHO should ALWAYS be on the team sheet when available. Attacking central midfielder with a bit of bite about him. What's not to like?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it sent a message that the writing is on the wall for Kayal but then many will say I would say that. Also those that he should have been on the bench instead of whom?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Evidently Kayal was upset at being left out of the match day squad for the semi-final against Manchester City and I must say I understand his frustration. He featured in all the previous rounds up to this point and in my opinion was up there with our best performers in each match he played. I believe that he would have contributed positively in the semi-final whether he be a starter or off the bench. he is a good ball carrier, leaves nothing out on the pitch and scores the odd goal - the latter attribute sadly lacking in most of our team this season.
In the same vein, I was disappointed that Button was overlooked in the quarter and semi, having performed very well in the earlier rounds. I'm not a fan of Ryan, as good as he is, he's too short and when fine margins might be all that wins a game or keeps us up then I think this is an area that needs to be looked at. Both Wolves and Watford played their 'second string' keepers for the semis, having played all the previous rounds and they didn't let their team dowm yesterday.
I think it sends the wrong message to players who have to wait to get their chance, play well, then get overlooked again. Dan Burn was another example of someone who played really well in earlier rounds only to get overlooked as the cup progressed.
Any thoughts?

Away and boil yer heid - If the Manager hadn't played his first team he would have been slaughtered by fans and media alike for not playing his best available 11 players and not taking the competition seriously.

You may not like it but Kayal is not one of the best 11 players at the club any more.

And your quote '' Evidently Kayal was upset at being left out of the match day squad for the semi-final against Manchester City and I must say I understand his frustration'' - Any player who doesn't play will be less that happy at not playing - That's not Rocket Science or Investigative Journalism at it's best really - is it ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here