Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wembley a Disappointment

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
First time to the "new" Wembley. I thought it was really disappointing. A lot more is going on outside the stadium theses days which is positive but the stadium itself felt tired and badly thought out.

My thinking exactly. The entrances to the seats became bottlenecks (obviously squeezing in more seats for the old wonga) and were well short of being adequate, the toilets had bottlenecks, the likes of which I've not seen before. All a bit closed in on the concourses. But I enjoyed the day!

Gull & Chips

Nov 30, 2017
only downside for me, other than the result, was 6 quid for a budweiser .. could have put some Harveys on !!

was a million times better than when i have watched England play there

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
While wonderwall was annoying (having watched the recording you can hear us over it which was great) the pre-match music annoyed me more, they played an Oasis track which the City fans could just be heard singing along to so I thought they would then play a FBS song, I even thought for a second they were playing SBTS (I thought the PA was awful, I couldn't make out much of what was said) but no they played the Will Grigg song.

I think they had that queued from last weekend but didn't get to play it as we lost but forgot to remove it

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The men's toilet arrangements inside the ground are very odd. In one block there are toilets with just a small number of cubicles; 30 metres
away are toilets with huge numbers of urinals. But nobody/nothing is there to points this out. So, long queues for the former (and real congestion on the concourse) and empty
in the latter simply due to poor design/signage/etc.

I need to point out that I am not obsessed by toilets. :)

You talking about Block J? There were toilets to the right of the entrance from entering the ground. They were signed and I found them straight away. Went to the toilet at half time and noticed the massive queue for the men’s closer to the stand. Walked to the other one and it was practically empty. I guess people just see a queue and assume that’s where they need to go, despite the perfectly adequate signage. I mentioned there was another toilet to a few people queuing on my way back... only one person took my advice.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Queues literally no issue getting beers or toilets.

Atmosphere on the concourse was poor but cant knock the facilities

Pretty good outside as well. Would be mental to win a trophy there

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We had a great day - obviously the atmosphere would have been better had City sold their allocation, but I thought it was pretty decent. And they DID play FBS at the end. I was also pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get away afterwards.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
WTF was the idea of playing Wonderwall afterwards?

They did win, so I can understand it. I was more miffed by them playing Oasis songs at the start.

I've been to Wembley before for events so knew what to expect, and came in from Wembley Park where it's more obvious, but I do agree on the upper tier concourses which were incredibly rammed. Only good thing was at least the bogs had a one-way system (which a few geniuses still couldn't get their heads round), I wish we'd introduce that at the Amex. Getting out through Wembley Stadium station at the end was a mile easier and quicker than going out via Wembley Park though, will do that again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There's a few things I don't like

Having the corporates in the middle means there's a lot of space between the top tier and the bottom, very hard to co-ordinate a song, so you end up with predictable Albion dirge all the time,.

Over managed as an event. Turn the music off and let the fans sing at each other.

Swathes of empty seats looked terrible. Not our fault clearly, but if we'd known from the start we could have 50k, we'd have sold them

Pricing differences way too big, compared to the difference in quality of seat.

What's happened to Wembley Way? there used to be stalls, chip vans, entertainment etc all the way up it

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
You talking about Block J? There were toilets to the right of the entrance from entering the ground. They were signed and I found them straight away. Went to the toilet at half time and noticed the massive queue for the men’s closer to the stand. Walked to the other one and it was practically empty. I guess people just see a queue and assume that’s where they need to go, despite the perfectly adequate signage. I mentioned there was another toilet to a few people queuing on my way back... only one person took my advice.

That's the one. I was tempted to tell people in the long queue myself; last time I did that I got some very odd looks.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Getting out through Wembley Stadium station at the end was a mile easier and quicker than going out via Wembley Park though, will do that again.

I found Wembley Park after the match was surprisingly simple. More or less straight onto a Metropolitan line train and changed at King's Cross to get down to London Bridge.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thought the stadium itself was fine in a sub-Amex sort of way. The immediate vicinity, on the other hand, must be in the running for some sort of Architectually Ugly award. Jeez! Almost CROYDONESQUE in its ugliness.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The empty middle tier my only real complaint. It was way better in Cardiff with 3 packed layers of Albion fans

ctid

Apr 1, 2019
City fan in peace here -

First of all, after reading this thread and the "who do you want to win the league?" thread, I apologise if our fans came across as entitled, arrogant or antagonistic, for a lot of us walking back down Wembley Way after the game we had probably left our houses at 7am and been drinking for many hours, myself since 10am. For every City fan singing "you've had your day out now f*ck off home" I'm sure there were Brighton fans singing about being "Dirty Northern ********" or asking where we were when we weren't so good etc. - it's football fans singing at the end of the day, don't take it to heart or think our entire fan base as forgotten where we've come from.

As quite a few of you have mentioned on here Wembley is not a great stadium to attend, everything is dead expensive, the pubs near the ground and the atmosphere in the ground are crap. If you'd played there 6 weeks earlier and were making your 13th appearance in 8 years there you might think to not bother as well.

I was there on Saturday, I went to Fulham away last week, I'm off to Spurs tomorrow and off to your mates Palace on Sunday - I know a lot who didn't bother on Saturday because they had booked trains for the London league games before we knew we were in the final, and whether we get there or not, we have to budget for a trip to Madrid in June with the cheapest ticket for the final being £80.

Anyway, just wanted to say I wish you all the best for the rest of the season, your manager is a top bloke and I was at our game at the start of last season and loved my day/night out and hope I can share beers with your supporters next month as we'll celebrate you guys staying up and potentially us retaining the title.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Good day out. Felt the Wembley 'experience' was a bit flat. Our lot were up for it but the great prawn sarnie no-show saw huge gaps in the crowd and the opposition didn't exactly bring the house down. We had a fantastic day out, but i've felt better atmospheres at the Amex TBH.

83 knocked my socks off, could be an age thing?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh, and backless seats.

The new one doesn’t have any numbers left on the seats. Probably my biggest complaint, that. Finding our seats was a lot more stressful than it should have been. The stewards are useless.

But apart from that we had a cracking day out. Easy beer & wee queues in the Lower concourse, loads of noise in 133 and two very excited 12 year olds with us who have seen their team at Wembley. If my boy hadn’t barfed all over the inside of my mate’s Merc on the drive home in Sunday it would have been a great weekend. No more Vbucks for him until the valet is paid for :ffsparr:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here