Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wembley a Disappointment

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
So let me start by saying I am VERY proud of our team, we played with spirit and skill and heart that makes me feel like we are getting back to our better selves.

I wanted to see if anyone else felt their Wembley experience was below parr? My 7-year-old loved every minute, this was my first trip to Wembley to see the Albion but it felt flat. Poor sinage if you came from the the Wembley Central Station, grubby feeling, dark and badly organised concourse with food that was sooooo over priced and you had to battle through past several blocks to find anything other than a hot dog. I did only pay for the cheaper seats but the fact that so much of the ground was half empty (not our fans we were top, top draw) and the middle tier was unsued meant that the atmosphere was not as good as it shoudl've been considering the amazing effort from the Albion fans. Some of this as well was playing a team of sulking "rolls royce" players a thier complacent fan base (not all but some) and WTF was the idea of playing Wonderwall afterwards?

I wanted to love it, our team made every effort to make it the best they could for us but I am left feeling like, for the first time probably, football has lost something over the last 15/20 years. Sad to say even though my little boy loved it despite the result. Some may call me miserable but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
First time to the "new" Wembley. I thought it was really disappointing. A lot more is going on outside the stadium theses days which is positive but the stadium itself felt tired and badly thought out.

It was no more or no less disappointing than the Spurs game last season. The mystique ain't what it was

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I thought the atmosphere was flat. Empty seats in the City end and throughout the middle tier made it rather dull really. I dont think that semis at Wembley are a good idea and I would like to see them at more compact neutral stadiums. A few toilets down Wembley way would be useful.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
So let me start by saying I am VERY proud of our team, we played with spirit and skill and heart that makes me feel like we are getting back to our better selves.

I wanted to see if anyone else felt their Wembley experience was below parr? My 7-year-old loved every minute, this was my first trip to Wembley to see the Albion but it felt flat. Poor sinage if you came from the the Wembley Central Station, grubby feeling, dark and badly organised concourse with food that was sooooo over priced and you had to battle through past several blocks to find anything other than a hot dog. I did only pay for the cheaper seats but the fact that so much of the ground was half empty (not our fans we were top, top draw) and the middle tier was unsued meant that the atmosphere was not as good as it shoudl've been considering the amazing effort from the Albion fans. Some of this as well was playing a team of sulking "rolls royce" players a thier complacent fan base (not all but some) and WTF was the idea of playing Wonderwall afterwards?

I wanted to love it, our team made every effort to make it the best they could for us but I am left feeling like, for the first time probably, football has lost something over the last 15/20 years. Sad to say even though my little boy loved it despite the result. Some may call me miserable but I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same?

No, I don't agree with you. We arrived at Wembley Park tube station and enjoyed the walk up to the stadium, buying a decent £5 Official Programme along the way. Entry was a doddle despite my concerns that security checks might cause hold ups, followed by easy access to the upper concourse for our seats. Had lunch pre match, so didn't need food, but prices were what I expected. My son loaded up at the Pick'n'Mix which looked expensive, but was actually better value then the tiny bags of sweets at the Amex which are now a total ripoff. Toilets totally inadequate in line with expectations and easy to find our seats. Fantastic view, enjoyed the tv interviews where unlike the Amex, I could hear every word, and enjoyed the build up. It was only a semi, so I had no expectations of razzmatazz pre match and I was very happy to have a totaly seated part of the ground with only a handful of lairy drunken cockwombles in evidence. Left on the whistle, headed briskly back to Wembley Park and home in sunny Sussex by 9-40 with no complaints.

It's a neutral ground, so a nice touch to play something appropriate for the winners at the end. I can't imagine many would be unaware of the Gallagher connection to City and we would probably enjoyed a bit of FatBoy had we won instead. I do agree their fans didn't seem to get much joy from winning, they looked like they had lost on the tube back.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I thought it was great. I expect it can be even better, like if we score perhaps :), so they're more to look forward to next time.

Point of order, not sure 'disappointing signage' should every really be in a list of complaints about a football match :lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We enjoyed the event, but the stadium itself is looking a bit tired, especially in comparison to the Amex. A lick of paint that is brighter than grey would make a world of difference.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I am and have been a semi-regular England fan for many many years, so I probably attended the 'old' Wembley Stadium about 5 or 6 times, and this 'new' Wembley probably around 10 to12 times.
I like it.

It probably helps that I used to work the West and North West London 'manor' for many years, and whilst I never exactly had 'The Knowledge', I certainly got to know all the little rat runs and back doubles in the area, so I rarely sit in heavy traffic trying to get to, and more importantly from, the stadium, which cuts down on a lot of the frustrations!

It is undoubtably badly situated, access is not the easiest, but the acoustics are pretty good, the atmosphere for edgy games can be really good, and the views from almost anywhere in the ground are decent.
I inevitably compare it to the 'old' traditional Wembley Stadium, which quite frankly was absolute shite.
The views were the worst of any stadium I've ever sat in anywhere I can think of, it was in the same place as now so obviously badly situated, public transport was dire so access was immeasurably worse than now, there was no concourse with expensive food and/or drink(!) ...... it was just horrible!

I think this 'new' Wembley now suffers a bit in comparisons because of the plethora of new stadia that has cropped up all over the UK and the World in general over the last few years, all of which are slightly better than the last 'new build' and so on and so on.
Wembley in comparison will become less attractive year on years, but I'm still a fan.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been 3-4 times to 'new' Wembley now. Its certainly nothing groundbreaking by todays standards, but it IS a great stadium. The rake of the seating makes it imposing, so even if you're up in the 3rd tier (as I was), you're high up, but without feeling a million miles away from the pitch. Exactly how I like it. As a WSU STH, I really wish the Amex was as steep.

Was it a seething cauldron yesterday ? Nope. But then the opposition fully expected a straightforward victory, and didn't sell out, so that will always dilute the atmosphere. But I tell you what - the Euro 2020 semi's AND the Final are being held there, and if England are involved, then that stadium will be un-ber-fookin-lievable. It will be rocking.

No complaints from me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Food was overpriced but bloody lovely burger.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I loved it. The burgers were expensive but lovely a lot better than the awful ones at the Amex

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have to agree, also 14 quid for 2 slices of pizza!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think the fairest comparison is with the Millennium Stadium (as was), for the play off finals. Cardiff wins out on its city centre location, pre-match entertainment and full ground. I wouldn't totally diss Wembley, although that middle tier, really gets my back up. It is certainly a lot less far to travel and whisper it quietly, the public transport was a major success.

Walking out of the stadium after the game, I was expecting a slow amble to Wembley Park, followed by a long and slow queueing system, so I was really surprised when we reached Wembley Park,, that we were able to walk straight onto a Metropolitan line train heading south.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We were in level 2, fantastic seats, an uncrowded concourse with no queues for anything and an absolutely banging bratwurst hotdog!
Glad I paid the extra for them, but must admit underwhelmed by our national stadium on the whole.
I did think the access to the tube afterwards was handled very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here