Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time To Now Put 1983 Firmly To Bed?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I can understand it can be a bit tiresome hearing old codgers blathering on about it but just to point in 83 the FA cup was a much sought after glittering prize ... not an after thought for Prem rich boys to fill out their trophy cabinet. (See Prem Reserves v Prem Reserves/lower league team)

And also, the cup run to the semi was something extra special. Newcastle home and away (towards top of Div 2), Man City home (Div 1), Liverpool away (champions, hadn't lost a cup game at Anfield since 1974 - 64 games), Norwich home (Div 1). But yesterday was pretty special too. Different, but still something none of us will forget in a hurry.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Think the fa cup has lost its sheen a bit since the semi being held at Wembley still a great ground but not as good as the old one in my opinion

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Difference between remembering it and banging on about it. Until we're in a Final, it will remain one of the major memories for anyone in their early/mid forties, and older.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stories of the Allan Mullery era, of 83, of Hereford, Chesterfield, the Cardiff play-off final help inspire the next generation of fans.

Hopefully the young fans there yesterday will tell their kids how 35,000 people from Sussex graced Wembley and outsung the Mighty Man City, pushing the best team in the land all the way.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not suggesting that we do either of those things. Just that we stop bloody banging on about it forevermore :shrug:

Well it's part of our history the way England's World Cup win in 1966 is part of the national narrative.

The only way you'll stop people going on about it (and I'm as bored of the constant references to 1966 as much as any Scotsman!) is if we swamp it with new memories.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Time To Now Put 1983 Firmly To Bed?

Why? I quite liked 1983. Apart from having to work in a benefit office to keep a roof over the family's heads, feed them and clothe them, whilst living under a Thatcher regime, it wasn't all bad. I'd swap all that for being 36 years younger again!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Let’s consider that we beat Newcastle and Liverpool away, put 4 past the crowd that were affronted that we didn’t just roll over yesterday and, to top it all, beat Massive en-route. Forget it no, but even just putting it in perspective makes it look pretty good. Maybe we should airbrush out the relegation part.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In 1983 we actually WON in the semi final and no matter how much the JCL's like to dress it up we LOST yesterday so forget yesterday as today it means exactly NOTHING

And we beat the champions, away, with a full strength side, en route.

This year came nowhere near 1983.

No tie in that run was a banker. Three were against teams above us and two against competent teams from Division Two who didn't rest players.

We made the final that year on merit and, had we won yesterday, this year would finally be the same. We lost- although it was a great day. But it's not 1983.

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
First up, any Albion fan who is 25 years old today would have been a foetus or a twinkling in their old man's eye in 1983.

Secondly, to just get shaded by one of the top six sides in Europe, and possibly the world, in the FA Cup semi-final, with all the untold riches sloshing around in the game, is a HUGE achievement and one that arguably eclipses anything that the club has achieved in cup competitions before.

1983? No Country For Old Men. It's all a bit Golden Gordon now. IMHO, like.

maths isn't your strong point is it? :)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I don't understand why we would want to 'put it to bed'. Or what that really entails.

I loved it then, I love the memories now. Regardless of the final score. Anfield away, Norwich at home.

Not for me, I think I'll get it up and give it it's breakfast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here