Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I was in Kruger this time in 2000. We were fortunate to see elephants. One of them was eating leaves at distance (about 150m) and offloading from its rear end at the same time.

We stopped the jeep and took some pictures with the elephant turning to oblige.

It was suggested that we leave. I enquired as to why because the elephant stamping one foot was a site to behold. I was then informed by my South African friend that this meant he was about to charge us.

In fairness, if someone took pictures of you having a shit it might be met with some consternation.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The poachers are after the tusks, they chainsaw them out of the elephants head, they don't eat elephants.

I hope the lions have got the head of the poacher mounted on a wooden plaque and hanging on the wall of their den, like Basil Fawltys Moose.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Although we kill innocent animals in their billions and eat them.

There is an element of hypocrisy here (which I count myself as part of) and Vegans cannot be challenged on this.

Surely no animals life is worth more than the other. They are all sentient beings. There is much rallying against the killing of dogs or cats for food but an Indian's horror at a cow being killed is considered irrelevant.

Whether an animal is rare or not, for me, shouldn't be the question. Killing animals is either fine or it's not. I see no in between.

Now I'm off to eat my chicken sandwich and wallow in my hypocrisy.

Cows,Lambs Pigs and Chicken are bred to be eaten and what do you do with them otherwise?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Although we kill innocent animals in their billions and eat them.

There is an element of hypocrisy here (which I count myself as part of) and Vegans cannot be challenged on this.

Surely no animals life is worth more than the other. They are all sentient beings. There is much rallying against the killing of dogs or cats for food but an Indian's horror at a cow being killed is considered irrelevant.

Whether an animal is rare or not, for me, shouldn't be the question. Killing animals is either fine or it's not. I see no in between.

Now I'm off to eat my chicken sandwich and wallow in my hypocrisy.

I agree with the sentiment of much of what you say but there is also the distinction between killing animals for food and killing for trophies such as elephant tusks for their ivory or rhino horn which although not trophy hunting in the strictest sense still involves killing a whole animal for purposes other than for food and furthermore killing a whole animal to harvest a relatively small part of its carcass leaving the rest to rot and go to waste.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never forget the story i read years ago about 3 rangers out on horseback when the horses became spooked. One reared up and the ranger came off. It will in quite tall grass area. The other two just bolted. The poor ranger was set upon and eaten alive by lions. One of the other rangers was so haunted by it and the screams of help that he commuted suicide.

Eating a chimp, dog or dolphin is a lot worse than eating a chicken or a fish, as the former are intelligent animals that demonstrate social awareness.
I totally agree with that but I do know that most people who have kept pigs would include them in the former category. However, I cannot square this with the fact that I think pork is the most delicious meat there is!

We were fortunate to see elephants. One of them was eating leaves at distance (about 150m) and offloading from its rear end at the same time.
That must have been one hell of a trunk!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Indeed. Easy to judge the poachers in this scenario isn’t it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all too easy to blame the poachers though isnt it, like they do it for fun
They arent exactly trophy hunters, nor mostly educated, so an "easy" but dangerous way to put food on the table. Guess it's karma to most. Nothing to do with the state of SA as a whole of course where the problems stem from

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A search party struggled to find the body but eventually found a human skull and a pair of trousers on Thursday.

On the plus side, performances of the Kruger National Park Amateur Dramatic Society's production of Hamlet opened on Friday.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here