Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Idiot who threw the bottle (etc...)

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Just a couple of points:
I was there on Saturday having had a hip replacement operation 11 days earlier. I would have found it very difficult if someone had stood up in front of me the whole match. But I was happy joining in a bit of standing up towards the end when we were getting close.
Why shouldn't a librarian be an ardent fan - quite day job and wild weekends!
I don't normally sing or chant, partly because I'm a bit deaf and can't hear what is being sung. But I joined in plenty on Saturday with the more recognisable ones - the ultimately boring "Albion, Albion"

I'm making myself sound like a right old codger. I'm actually quite fit and active...…. .
Good that you are on the mend and was able to make it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What it will change is people standing in front of those who need / want to sit. It’s pretty obvious, really, that if it’s clear where you can stand and where you can’t, then there’s no excuse for being in the wrong place and wanting to do the opposite to everyone around you.

I’m not against it. A bit of a shame that in this country, the authorities won’t allow us to have the packed safe standing you see at Dortmund, Schalke, etc.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Many of the “real hardcore Albion fans” who have followed the team through thick and thin are now of an age where standing all game is impossible. Should we just “do one” and stop going?

On an earlier thread about this very subject, I was assured that the standing up worked well. Behind me was a couple well into their 70s, who clearly wanted to sit. Two rows in front were two young lads, probably early 20s, who turned round, saw that their standing, (along with others, to be fair) was inconveniencing the older couple, smirked and turned round again, oblivious to their obvious discomfort. It was then that I realised that it works well, if you are the ones getting what you want, and are not bothered about others. For the record, I am not bothered whether i sit or stand. It is tricky, I know but the situation is not one which works well. Had the older couple bought tickets for the back of the NS, when we know that thousands prefer to stand, I would have had little sympathy, but as this was Wembley, no one had any real idea if there was going to be a "standing section".

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Couple of idiots a few rows behind us, one starting gobbing off about paying his money so could say what he wanted. Not sure who he was directing it at but him and about 4 guys sat around him never appeared for the second half so I don't know if more words were had at half time.

No but it would explain why two coppers on the walk down to the station were asking a steward the best way to get to entrance J/K. I mean it's not difficult is it. The stadium is straight ahead of you so I'd start there.

Was that in block 529? If so the guy stood up very briefly and was promptly shouted down by the people behind him which seemed to frustrate him so he had a go and then they started having a go back and it went from there - nothing to see really

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’m not against it. A bit of a shame that in this country, the authorities won’t allow us to have the packed safe standing you see at Dortmund, Schalke, etc.

Perhaps there might be a link here between this thread and the complaints from fans about the behaviour of a minority. Officialdom clearly does not trust football fans, and the drunken antics of a few give officialdom ammunition to insist on all-seater stadia.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps there might be a link here between this thread and the complaints from fans about the behaviour of a minority. Officialdom clearly does not trust football fans, and the drunken antics of a few give officialdom ammunition to insist on all-seater stadia.

If true, it’s a shame that a few idiots still at every club, could affect things for others.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What it will change is people standing in front of those who need / want to sit. It’s pretty obvious, really, that if it’s clear where you can stand and where you can’t, then there’s no excuse for being in the wrong place and wanting to do the opposite to everyone around you.

But on an occasion like Saturday, it wasn't in any way clear, unlike for home matches, when everyone knows, that rightly or wrongly, thousands in the NS prefer to stand, where as in most other areas virtually all fans sit.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If true, it’s a shame that a few idiots still at every club, could affect things for others.

I can recall listening on the radio to an interview with a politician (can't remember who) who stated that specific rules are in place at football matches because of the special nature of football. He was being polite and but it was obvious what he meant. Afterall, you can take your beer up with you at rubgy matches but not at football, and deep down, we all know why. In an Albion crowd of say 30,000, there will be a thousand or so idiots, who will abuse the privilege (witness the observations by many on here from saturday) and it just makes sense to issue a blanket ban, however unfair on the vast majority. Sadly, the antics of a few create an impression that one does not forget and can ruin the day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can recall listening on the radio to an interview with a politician (can't remember who) who stated that specific rules are in place at football matches because of the special nature of football. He was being polite and but it was obvious what he meant. Afterall, you can take your beer up with you at rubgy matches but not at football, and deep down, we all know why. In an Albion crowd of say 30,000, there will be a thousand or so idiots, who will abuse the privilege (witness the observations by many on here from saturday) and it just makes sense to issue a blanket ban, however unfair on the vast majority. Sadly, the antics of a few create an impression that one does not forget and can ruin the day.

That’s broadly true I think. It’s more than “one or two”. You can see a linesman, or opposing diving player, or opposing player with an over zealous celebration .... being at the receiving end of more crap.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Was that in block 529? If so the guy stood up very briefly and was promptly shouted down by the people behind him which seemed to frustrate him so he had a go and then they started having a go back and it went from there - nothing to see really
That was the one. Was all over quite quickly but did seem strange that none of them returned for the second half.

Jan 30, 2008
https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/y...2ju7lgqb&hspart=avast&hsimp=yhs-securebrowser
makes sat look like a nice little tea party :wink:
regards
DR

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

What’s funny about that link is wankish SWFC fans celebrating their return to the PL three years ago after winning the play off semi final. Dozens of videos on the same theme. What a bunch of pricks, so pleased when this happened:

38101F20-FDFB-4F52-A2DE-C36AC0F5B223.png

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Block 141 had a few of the baldies that had to stand up, arms stretched out as if they're expecting to be heard by the ref, due to an unfair decision.
Makes me laugh ???

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Plenty of people round us drinking at their seats. I guess those brown plastic bottles of Budweiser with the labels peeled off are pretty easy to smuggle past the Stewards who didn't seem that bothered even when they spotted them. No one was offensive, no one was unpleasant or rude, my biggest fear was timing my last beer so I could have a pee and not get caught short on the tube.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
We were in £80 seats in block 125. Thought that would be good for Grandson and myself as I cannot stand for long periods. However, 4 adults 40 to 70 right in front of us stood up at most points in the game. We never saw the goal, the headbutt or Murray's near miss.

Precisely why we need standing options at football. I was in block 131, 5th row and was delighted to stand throughout the entire game. However not everyone wants to, and if you'd been behind the goal anywhere in the lower tier wanting to sit you'd have had little choice. You could argue that standing in this area was inevitable i suppose, and i didnt hear any complaints.

Personally i had a great day, and other than a bit of mouth between a few from each team on the walk back towards wembley way, didnt see any problems.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Good that you are on the mend and was able to make it.

Thanks...… I was never going to miss it. Had to buy the tickets and booked the car park even before the op on the basis that I would give them away or whatever if I just couldn't get there......

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But on an occasion like Saturday, it wasn't in any way clear, unlike for home matches, when everyone knows, that rightly or wrongly, thousands in the NS prefer to stand, where as in most other areas virtually all fans sit.

The cheaper seats behind the goal are where people stand, generally. It’s not rocket science.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nothing unusual in any of these reports. Fairly standard behaviour from a minority or Albion fans who seem more intent on getting drunk than supporting the Albion. There are always a few of these groups at London away games so not surprising there were some there on Saturday. Just not quite sure why drinking is more important than the match. Is this normal for them? Do they do it when they don’t go to a match?

I was in block 134 and there was a decent atmosphere with lots of singing but that still didn’t stop some mouthing cow who had had too much to drink start having a go at people who in her view weren’t singing enough - “support the f***ing team” Irony was she missed the first 15 minutes of the second half because presumably she was still drinking in the concourse!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The cheaper seats behind the goal are where people stand, generally. It’s not rocket science.

Which is why we chose the lower side @ £80 - yet still had to stand for virtually the whole of the first half and much of the second. In many ways that was worse than standing all the time - the constant bobbing up and down meant that in being slow to stand a lot of the ‘action’ was missed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That would be a very good idea; if you want to sing your support for the team, then have an allocated area for those who want to give their vocal support.

If you are from the "sit down, shut up" Barber school of football supporter, then you buy a ticket for somewhere else.

Liking that.

I was in block 139 directly behind the wheelchairs which is designated for disabled. Somehow a Dad in his 40s & son around 11 got the front row of that block, when I was given two seats in the second row. I cannot stand for a long time now, and booked the tickets through the disability liaison bod at the club. The Dad & son started standing despite there being nothing in front of them, when the team were warming up. I politely asked them to sit down as I also like to see the build up. I got a 'lecture' about what happens at away games, whereupon I politely told him, I knew, I'd been going for years.

He did offer his apologies at half time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here