Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Idiot who threw the bottle (etc...)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
My day was completely ruined by one idiot.

I was so excited about the day. I'd got up especially early to paint a club crest on my head which took me ages.

Unfortunately I had an idiot near me in block 138 spill a whole drink on my lap so I stood in the aisle for a second as to not drip on anyone. Some old woman started shouting at me to sit down so I said "I CANT". She thought I swore at her and went mad. My wife was so upset that she left me to watch alone. In the end I went to the back of the stand as some guy kept starting at me and I had the feeling that, if his family hadn't been there, he would have knocked me out. He is the worst kind of bully. I will be having words with him at the Amex if I see him.

Imitation is a MASSIVE form of flattery

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I agree with this. Partly because coke is cut with all manner of cheap shit these days; almost certainly going to contain some speed in it.

To think cocaine was once the preserve of models and Duran Duran....now its chavs at football. Whilst I fully support social mobility this is not what I had in mind.

I’d actually suggest the strength of cocaine, as a rule is being cut less and is genuinely stronger. The war of drugs has made a lot the things cocaine was typically cut with; borax for example, extremely hard to get hold of. This means a lot of dealers do smaller portions of stronger stuff for the same price. The fact that more cocaine than every before is flooding in to U.K. and the popularity of county line schemes means it’s also pretty plentiful too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I still can’t get my head round why people want to stand to watch matches - it doesn’t make them a better fan or give a better view. Whilst stadia are all seated, why can’t people respect those wanting or needing to sit? Absolutely selfish. If people stand, kids can’t see, and older people who can’t stand for long periods won’t see either. If people want to stand they need to pester the FA to reintroduce standing areas. Until then, it would be nice if they respected the rules.

Standing at away games is, and always has been, the "norm". The away fans at the Amex regularly stand and this is replicated when we play away. As someone who always stands at the back of the NS at the Amex I can assure you it is far easier to sing at full volume than when sitting down.

So far as safe-standing is concerned, Barber clearly said that the club would never be associated with the safe-standing campaign although there are whispers that he has now changed his mind. Who knows. There is little doubt that the majority of football fans would like the introduction of safe-standing but what value is the fan's voice today? Particularly if the clubs don't want it.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think people are giving that a pretty good go though.

Why do people want to stand? Because it makes singing easier, it's easier to talk to the people around you and for many people, there's quite a bit of restless energy when watching your team play football.

Home games aren't a problem as (whilst it's officially against the law), clubs can just have stands which stand and those which sit, and the majority of people can find their way into the correct stand. At away games I would imagine the majority are those that want to stand, however think the problem has mostly resolved itself now that the club allows fans to choose seats. An occasion like this was always going to be a bit of an anomaly, and it's a shame that people couldn't act a little more socially aware. I suppose the club have to be very careful as to how they allow Wembley tickets to be marketed, although perhaps something subtle along the lines of "the lower tier is where we expect the majority of our singing fans to go" might have given people more of an indication.

Just to be clear - you won't find me standing up if it's anti-social. We were hoping that people in front of us would stand on Saturday (giving us the excuse to), but they didn't, so we sat down without anyone having to ask.

That would be a very good idea; if you want to sing your support for the team, then have an allocated area for those who want to give their vocal support.

If you are from the "sit down, shut up" Barber school of football supporter, then you buy a ticket for somewhere else.

Liking that.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
That would be a very good idea; if you want to sing your support for the team, then have an allocated area for those who want to give their vocal support.

If you are from the "sit down, shut up" Barber school of football supporter, then you buy a ticket for somewhere else.

Liking that.

It was on social media that blocks 133 and 134 would be the “singing” section. Clearly those around me aren’t on social media, as any attempts to get singing going in the first half was pointless. It did improve 2nd half. I’d have thought most supporters know if you go to the back of the stand that is were most of the singing / standing starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Drink, standing and a few excited knob heads, pretty standard for all away games I would have thought. Stayed behind to cheer the players and then joined the queues for the tube. Took about half an hour then straight onto a train. Given the size of the away crowd that was 10 times the normal number can’t say I saw any more idiots than I would normally expect. Great day out. The guys outside The Globe were brilliant.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
All good natured around me, though three 'lads' decided to push in the row behind so the people who were originally there had to share their space and were probably a bit too intimdated to say anything. At one point, one of the twerps said "I'm too pissed to know what's happening". Well, that was a waste of £65 then...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
To be fair there are not many grounds in the country where away fans are able to sit down. I'm not that tall but find it physically impossible to sit at some grounds while many others it is uncomfortable to sit for more than 10 minutes. I think Old Trafford was the worst, at half time I had to sit almost sideways in my seat as there was nowhere for my knees to go. What would you suggest I do ???

Write to them and complain that for a club with their money and a requirement for an all seater stadium they should provide appropriate legroom for their customers. Either that or cut your legs off!
Seriously, I do understand the problem, but if they expect people to sit then they should provide the correct equipment. Meanwhile, kids and those who physically can’t stand for long periods will just have to give away games a miss. It’s a lot of money not to see anything.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Liking that.

You will see from my earlier post that my Grandson and I had our view spoilt by people standing but it no way stopped us vocally supporting the Albion. You can sit and give vocal support.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting observation there.

We were in the £45 seats near the front of Block 535. 33 of us, all season ticket holders. I recognised a fair few STHS from the Amex seating near us. There was no problems in our block whatsoever. Perhaps we were lucky? We are a mixed age group, so it was nice to sit and watch the game in comfort. We had a great view.

Did everyone in the expensive seats in the lower tier have to stand whether they wanted to or not?

We did witness some drunken stone island seagulls having a go at two city fans outside. No punches were thrown, the city fans kept walking, ignoring them. Stone Island boys walked away, happy that they had "Shown 'em".

The Fairy was there ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Standing at away games is, and always has been, the "norm". The away fans at the Amex regularly stand and this is replicated when we play away. As someone who always stands at the back of the NS at the Amex I can assure you it is far easier to sing at full volume than when sitting down.

So far as safe-standing is concerned, Barber clearly said that the club would never be associated with the safe-standing campaign although there are whispers that he has now changed his mind. Who knows. There is little doubt that the majority of football fans would like the introduction of safe-standing but what value is the fan's voice today? Particularly if the clubs don't want it.

Safe Standing won’t alter much at all. H&S obsessed British authorities will only allow a 1:1 ratio in replacing seats, as already at Celtic. So there won’t be packed, atmospheric sections. Apart from the change of seat design, essentially it just legitimises standing for a block.

(The Bundesliga allow a far more crowded 1.5:1 ratio, when switching to safe standing).

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
We had some special 'fans' in our area (corner flag lower level area, left of the goal from behind)

Why 'fans' ??

Well, because it would take Poirot, Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes to work out that they were Albion fans.

Starts off early doors with the ones behind tapping us on the shoulder and asking if we could sit down (we had stood up for all of ten seconds)..later on same again at a bloody Albion corner in the second half when we were just getting a head of steam and trying to spur the team on.

The ones to our immediate left kept glaring at us all game when we dared to shout supportive chants at our players like it was an alien thing to do...Jeez!

Although it was great to see so many Albion supporters at Wembley, we really appreciate the real hardcore Albion fans who follow the team through thick and thin, the librarians, the tourists and glory hunters can do one.

Jan 30, 2008
We had some special 'fans' in our area (corner flag lower level area, left of the goal from behind)

Why 'fans' ??

Well, because it would take Poirot, Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes to work out that they were Albion fans.

Starts off early doors with the ones behind tapping us on the shoulder and asking if we could sit down (we had stood up for all of ten seconds)..later on same again at a bloody Albion corner in the second half when we were just getting a head of steam and trying to spur the team on.

The ones to our immediate left kept glaring at us all game when we dared to shout supportive chants at our players like it was an alien thing to do...Jeez!

Although it was great to see so many Albion supporters at Wembley, we really appreciate the real hardcore Albion fans who follow the team through thick and thin, the librarians, the tourists and glory hunters can do one.

spot on
regards
DR

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Safe Standing won’t alter much at all. H&S obsessed British authorities will only allow a 1:1 ratio in replacing seats, as already at Celtic. So there won’t be packed, atmospheric sections. Apart from the change of seat design, essentially it just legitimises standing for a block.

(The Bundesliga allow a far more crowded 1.5:1 ratio, when switching to safe standing).

What it will change is people standing in front of those who need / want to sit. It’s pretty obvious, really, that if it’s clear where you can stand and where you can’t, then there’s no excuse for being in the wrong place and wanting to do the opposite to everyone around you.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

spot on
regards
DR

Spot on? Sounds like you went on Saturday Das.

whosthedaddy compares the Albion hardcore who go to every game and the tourist/glory hunters, Which category would you put yourself in?

Just curious like.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Many of the “real hardcore Albion fans” who have followed the team through thick and thin are now of an age where standing all game is impossible. Should we just “do one” and stop going?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Why 'fans' ??

Just a couple of points:
I was there on Saturday having had a hip replacement operation 11 days earlier. I would have found it very difficult if someone had stood up in front of me the whole match. But I was happy joining in a bit of standing up towards the end when we were getting close.
Why shouldn't a librarian be an ardent fan - quite day job and wild weekends!
I don't normally sing or chant, partly because I'm a bit deaf and can't hear what is being sung. But I joined in plenty on Saturday with the more recognisable ones - the ultimately boring "Albion, Albion"

I'm making myself sound like a right old codger. I'm actually quite fit and active...…. .

Jan 30, 2008
Souless experience imho , even the walk up Wembley way, RIP Highbury 83 thanks for the memories, i guess if you're new to this game you'd know no better and enjoyed the moment
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here